Indiana's New Law

I think I better call Dr. Joyce Brothers. She might help.

Oh darn it. In all that being hurt, angry and passive agressive, I didn't realize that Dr. Joyce Brothers had passed on.

I think I better call Miss Cleo.

I haven't really agreed with Garfield on much of anything in this thread up until recently.

The pizzeria story looks more and more like a witch hunt, and it's reaction is the exact opposite of what supporters of the LGBT community should be doing. Honestly, the vitriol and grave-dancing that is often displayed by these people makes me wish they weren't on my side. It crap like this that gives fuel to argument that we're really not out for "equality for all", we're out for "agree with me, or else".

Shame...

And yes, Tim Cook is hopping on the business bandwagon and is being hypocritical in doing so.

• Like 4

DCI has done outreach in China, where homosexuality has been legal at the national level for about as long as in the U.S., but which is otherwise behind in matters of gay rights, and certainly deficient in terms of civil rights generally.

DCI has done outreach in China, where homosexuality has been legal at the national level for about as long as in the U.S., but which is otherwise behind in matters of gay rights, and certainly deficient in terms of civil rights generally.

I love spring. The temperatures are rising, the snow is melting and if you listen closely you can hear the birds singing.

Oh my, what else do I hear....crickets? I think they are early this year.

I haven't really agreed with Garfield on much of anything in this thread up until recently.

The pizzeria story looks more and more like a witch hunt, and it's reaction is the exact opposite of what supporters of the LGBT community should be doing. Honestly, the vitriol and grave-dancing that is often displayed by these people makes me wish they weren't on my side. It crap like this that gives fuel to argument that we're really not out for "equality for all", we're out for "agree with me, or else".

Shame...

And yes, Tim Cook is hopping on the business bandwagon and is being hypocritical in doing so.

Surely you agreed with that post I wrote about yours or anyone else's sexuality was never a consideration before. I love all you crazy nuts.

What I am, and always have been in this thread, concerned about is what part DCI should play in this civil battle, especially considering the concentration - whatever it is - of LGBT marching members in drum corps.

I think the pragmatic approach is to view it in the context of the customer base as the current cash flow and future marching members of the activity, and not necessarily through the lens of the concentration of LGBT participants.

In case you missed it earlier, I think DCI did exactly the correct thing with their recognition of this issue and I would caution them from jumping on bandwagons with rotten wheels. Apple is not the pied piper and DCI shouldn't be lemmings.

Poli Sci 101; first they buy our stuff then they become more like us

Beside, phones get sold to Iranian citizens who can use them to circumvent the regime, their sales have nothing to do with supporting the government or their policies, the opposite in fact, Arab Spring?

The pizza thing is very bad

I still don’t see this as a gay issue even though they bear the brunt…’first they came for the gays and I said nothing’…and then it’s ISIS American style. Enjoy the hyperbole, please

Overall, it’s bad business and bad business is paying off in terms of fixing this law, would prefer an all inclusive anti- discrimination act to follow but we’ll see how it plays out

Still curious about corps taking marchers into the Loin’s Den or what could happened if the issues were forced with members, fans, staff. And how supporting the State that supports that Act is in anyway compatible with Corps’ values

It’d be funny if the G7 used this to break off as the ‘moral high road’ and did a show that weekend in Illinois, which would you go to?

And it is about the soul of DCI and what they really stand for…hey, I get it, they can ride in the back of the bus, wait a little longer as long as it keeps our marching band shows intact …I’ve long advocated that DCI is in the business of severing Band Company shills and the entire ‘educational, teaching them values’ thing is a feel good cover.

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 1

Surely you agreed with that post I wrote about yours or anyone else's sexuality was never a consideration before. I love all you crazy nuts.

What I am, and always have been in this thread, concerned about is what part DCI should play in this civil battle, especially considering the concentration - whatever it is - of LGBT marching members in drum corps.

I think the pragmatic approach is to view it in the context of the customer base as the current cash flow and future marching members of the activity, and not necessarily through the lens of the concentration of LGBT participants.

In case you missed it earlier, I think DCI did exactly the correct thing with their recognition of this issue and I would caution them from jumping on bandwagons with rotten wheels. Apple is not the pied piper and DCI shouldn't be lemmings.

Admittedly, I haven't ready every post in this thread, so maybe I would have agreed more with you had I done so. My general thoughts on the issue is that using any aspect of one's religion to treat another human being differently than you is, by definition, discriminatory. I don't see how else it can be characterized. When laws start wading into waters that allow for a gray area of protection to be placed around religious beliefs, I start to get worried. I'm all for separation of Church and State, but it's something I feel this country has only ever paid lip-service to.

As for DCI's response, I think they were on point. Especially considering the bandwagon approach that other organizations have made that are so transparently hypocritical.

Sorry to say, I just don't remember that detail. I didn't know that the gay people there that were killed had IPhones in their pockets.

It didn't seem to make the news.

Ok, maybe I added a little of my own hyperbole with that last part.

Ok, maybe I added a little of my own hyperbole with that last part.

Am I supposed to say that's okay when so many others on this thread are talking about the accuracy of the comments being made?

Poli Sci 101; first they buy our stuff then they become more like us

Beside, phones get sold to Iranian citizens who can use them to circumvent the regime, their sales have nothing to do with supporting the government or their policies, the opposite in fact, Arab Spring?

The pizza thing is very bad

I still don’t see this as a gay issue even though they bear the brunt…’first they came for the gays and I said nothing’…and then it’s ISIS American style. Enjoy the hyperbole, please

Overall, it’s bad business and bad business is paying off in terms of fixing this law, would prefer an all inclusive anti- discrimination act to follow but we’ll see how it plays out

Still curious about corps taking marchers into the Loin’s Den or what could happened if the issues were forced with members, fans, staff. And how supporting the State that supports that Act is in anyway compatible with Corps’ values

It’d be funny if the G7 used this to break off as the ‘moral high road’ and did a show that weekend in Illinois, which would you go to?

And it is about the soul of DCI and what they really stand for…hey, I get it, they can ride in the back of the bus, wait a little longer as long as it keeps our marching band shows intact …I’ve long advocated that DCI is in the business of severing Band Company shills and the entire ‘educational, teaching them values’ thing is a feel good cover.

So you think Apple's business in Iran is part of a bigger effort to free the country of it tyranny, as in The Square or The Spring, but their answer here is to flee and punish the state by not doing business there? Surely... I can only chuckle.

600 posts of vitriol and feared impact but, when there's demonstrable evidence of hate and discrimination, it warrants SIX words? Isn't the silence deafening?

We agree, it's bad business. It's bad business for DCI to get more involved in the issue.

I wish I understood your last sentence.