Blue Devils 2015 - "Ink"

In past years they have always done such a great job of getting every aspect of their performance to support their theme, and this year I just don't see it coming together.

Honestly, I feel like they *eventually* get there, and we wind up remembering the shows for how effective they are late season, but I dunno, it's been awhile since they had a show that made total sense in June (or August, depending on who you ask...), which seems intentional on the staff's end but also seems unfair to early-season audiences sometimes.

Edited by saxfreq1128

Honestly, I feel like they *eventually* get there, and we wind up remembering the shows for how effective they are late season, but I dunno, it's been awhile since they had a show that made total sense in June (or August, depending on who you ask...), which seems intentional on the staff's end but also seems unfair to early-season audiences sometimes.

Come early for the amazing early season cleanliness, come late for the show you'll appreciate more if you're willing to google a bit.

I never regret googling a BD show (i googled the crap out of Crown 2013 hahaha)

• Like 1

someday.. someone will have to sit down and explain to me what I

where have the classy Blue Devils gone? I miss them.

(Fast-forward to the ballad)

(If that doesn't work, I can't help you)

• Like 4

(Fast-forward to the ballad)

(If that doesn't work, I can't help you)

like i said, I'm not a BD hater.. and I will agree, on music merit alone, the ballad was stunning. in fact I LOVE BD's hornline, always have. I just have trouble appreciating their artistic idea.. my opinion is mine alone, and I dont expect everyone to share it. :)

• Like 1

like i said, I'm not a BD hater.. and I will agree, on music merit alone, the ballad was stunning. in fact I LOVE BD's hornline, always have. I just have trouble appreciating their artistic idea.. my opinion is mine alone, and I dont expect everyone to share it. :)

I don't make assumptions about who's a hater -- in fact, let's retire that term. I just pointed out the ballad because it seems like a great moment for anyone who misses oldschool BD: big, moving, very brassy, very classy. And even though "whatever happened to old drum corps" sentiments generally make me cringe, because I can't think of a successful corps who doesn't try to mix old with new every year, it's not like I would fault people for loving oldschool DCI.

I just hope more people come around to seeing how often BD et al. tip their hats to the old drum corps they love so much. The designers love and were a part of DCI history, too!

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

I don't make assumptions about who's a hater -- in fact, let's retire that term. I just pointed out the ballad because it seems like a great moment for anyone who misses oldschool BD: big, moving, very brassy, very classy. And even though "whatever happened to old drum corps" sentiments generally make me cringe, because I can't think of a successful corps who doesn't try to mix old with new every year, it's not like I would fault people for loving oldschool DCI.

I just hope more people come around to seeing how often BD et al. tip their hats to the old drum corps they love so much. The designers love and were a part of DCI history, too!

I know BD's staff has been around forever, but I almost get the sense from them that they are trying to do the opposite of what you said. Look at 2010 and 2012. How were those shows "tipping the hat" to drum corps that people love? If anything it was the designers telling the crowd they didn't matter. Sit on your hands all you want, we've got the judges eating out of our palms.

I know BD's staff has been around forever, but I almost get the sense from them that they are trying to do the opposite of what you said. Look at 2010 and 2012. How were those shows "tipping the hat" to drum corps that people love? If anything it was the designers telling the crowd they didn't matter. Sit on your hands all you want, we've got the judges eating out of our palms.

Ugh, not this $%#% again...

• Like 4

For as long as I can remember; the Blue Devils were never known for having high octane, high demand, drill. It's been music and performance first; drill second. They recruit excellent talent and maximize that talent to the fullest through...wait for it...smart show design. The design teams they've had, over the years, understand staging, musical effect, be it through straight up jazz or the more "out there shows" of current and they've never really had them running all over the field via complex forms and difficult pass throughs to embellish that talent.

There have been but a handful of Blue Devils shows that I've really enjoyed; but I respect what they do, as they have a proven formula to stay at the top.

Edited by corps8294