Blue Devils 2015 - "Ink"

For as long as I can remember; the Blue Devils were never known for having high octane, high demand, drill. It's been music and performance first; drill second. They recruit excellent talent and maximize that talent to the fullest through...wait for it...smart show design. The design teams they've had, over the years, understand staging, musical effect, be it through straight up jazz or the more "out there shows" of current and they've never really had them running all over the field via complex forms and difficult pass throughs to embellish that talent.

There have been but a handful of Blue Devils shows that I've really enjoyed; but I respect what they do, as they have a proven formula to stay at the top.

Uh last year they ran like crazy people, especially in the opener.

For as long as I can remember; the Blue Devils were never known for having high octane, high demand, drill. It's been music and performance first; drill second. They recruit excellent talent and maximize that talent to the fullest through...wait for it...smart show design. The design teams they've had, over the years, understand staging, musical effect, be it through straight up jazz or the more "out there shows" of current and they've never really had them running all over the field via complex forms and difficult pass throughs to embellish that talent.

There have been but a handful of Blue Devils shows that I've really enjoyed; but I respect what they do, as they have a proven formula to stay at the top.

I guess you missed them last year.

Am I missing something? The K-pop bit is just a quick dance break/transition and a drum feature, from what I saw -- hardly that unusual, in 21st-century drum corps (from Frameworks on), and pretty fun if you don't overthink it. And they reprise the jazz tune at the end of it, so it winds up being pretty nicely integrated into the show.

But mileage always varies on these things, and that's okay, too.

Very, very, very entertained and impressed by SCV, BD and the Cadets this year, and also fond of many of the others I've seen. Great season!

It is a great season! Cadets are crazy in

The demand department and SCV looks beautiful. It always takes me some time to get a BD show. I guess I'm pretty dumb. Bloo is loud.

OK - so I'm really liking the show again this year - but unlike last year - I can't follow the theme at all. I'm guessing that the props aren't finished and the guard members running around with fabric will eventually add more to the production.

Love the K Pop section. It's cool and super current - just like BD tend to be,

Can't wait to see how the show develops and hope to understand the "Ink" theme a bit more - Felliniesque (to me) was super easy to understand)

Later,

Mike

I'm certain this show is far from complete. Just because they're moving through the closer doesn't mean that its anywhere near complete, visually, musically, or prop wise. This is the Blue Devils. As usual, you'll probably at least enjoy what they do with their show as long as you look a lil deeper than what you'd usually have to do.

• Like 1

I just watched a video on the you toob. I like this better than most of the BD shows since 2007. The drum line is super clean, there is a nice horn book, and although the visual book does not have the demand of the Cadets, it still holds interest. I actually had a goosebump moment during "children will listen".

On the downside, like most recent BD shows, its hard to capture on the first read. Audibly its cohesive, but I do not quite get it visually. Maybe that will come with time.

I think scoring wise, once they come east the should be right in the scoring mix with Bloo and Cadets. If they are 2 points ahead.....well then I just give up on understanding DCI judging.

I know BD's staff has been around forever, but I almost get the sense from them that they are trying to do the opposite of what you said. Look at 2010 and 2012. How were those shows "tipping the hat" to drum corps that people love? If anything it was the designers telling the crowd they didn't matter. Sit on your hands all you want, we've got the judges eating out of our palms.

Thank you tommynev, at least I know I'm not the only person out there who feels this way...

Thank you tommynev, at least I know I'm not the only person out there who feels this way...

If I was there in the crowd watching 2010 and 2012, I would've been on my feet yelling. Those shows were awesome.

• Like 3

If you think the designers are telling you that you don't matter then you couldn't be more wrong!

These people are exposing us to things that, (if you care to dig deeper) will enrich your musical journey through life all the better. If you find it too much of a chore to look something up (in the information age) then you are a dullard who does not wish to progress and is stuck in a zone of comfort tunes. That is fine for you if it is. None of us are the same.

I like to drink coffee only from a one cup filter and I like it strong and black. Very simple. If your coffee order has more than five words in it... I think you need to tuck your junk but is that really my place to comment? No it is not. I'm certainly not going to say you do't matter. Those drinks do taste good. I just can't make them.

Every day I thank the entire drum corps community for exposing me to music I never would have explored had it not been for those great shows! Even drum corps shows that I didn't really like I looked the source music up.

Today I met a woman who brought her daughter to watch BD practice and she plays the oboe. I sat down with them and helped explain some of the ideas of the show and told her daughter that if she wants to be a musician or performer to expose herself to as many different idioms as possible. Even sometimes those that you do not like to gain some insight to other ways of thinking. I went on to explain that I did that with my kids and pointed out that my son was giving lessons on mallet technique as we talked during practice. There was a young middle school kid who's brother is in the bass line but wants to play mallets instead.

Sure it's easy to say they have contempt for us but if you get to know these people you will realize that the goal of organizations like this that are trying to spread the knowledge over the entire world!

• Like 4