Fan Network Armegeddon - So Long SCV 1989

Are all the DVD's rom the Legacy series and those released after 2000 still available? If they have not replenished the stock, they probably won't. If they have not been replenished, they probably will not be due to a lack of demand. My guess is that at this point, most fans have purchased the DVD's from earlier years and the newer Blu-Ray releases have enough of the classic shows for younger and newer fans.

Personally, I own all the championship DVD's (Legacy and 2000-2014) as well as I watch most, whether those that date back to the 1970's or more recent years, are also the years I attended multiple shows. I think the energy of the shows, getting together with friends, etc., adds to the memories. Shows from years I only attended one or perhaps two local shows are the DVD's I tend to watch less frequently. My guess is I am not the only one who watches DVD's in this manner, so t might be a good idea to buy the DVD's while you can and rely on the Fan Network for current season shows.

I think calling DCI's handling of the situation a "PR disaster" may be going a little far. Are there ways DCI could have handled the situation that would have upset less people...sure. But how many people are truly upset? 1000-2500? Of those, I would guess 50-100 are REALLY upset. And yes, I know I am pulling numbers out of thin air.

I imagine that if mid June rolls around and folks are able to watch live shows on the Fan Network once or twice a week...the majority of subscribers are going to be happy. Now if the current situation messes up the live streams, well that's an entirely different ballgame.

As it stands now, I'm fine to wait and see what happens. For the folks whose life were tragically altered by the removal of quite a few shows...I feel bad. But for now I'm fine to patiently wait for an announcement from DCI about the 2015 version of the Fan Network.

Z

I think calling DCI's handling of the situation a "PR disaster" may be going a little far. Are there ways DCI could have handled the situation that would have upset less people...sure. But how many people are truly upset? 1000-2500? Of those, I would guess 50-100 are REALLY upset. .

Z

I would guess a lot of the people that are NOT upset with the way this was handled are FN subscribers that principally purchased FN for the live streams.

For some of us, the archives of older shows was one of the principal benefits of the purchase.

Let me ask those of you who are current FN Subscribers, that purchased FN principally for the live steaming this question : " what if you found out, with no prior notification, that you turned on your computer this summer and got a blank screen... later you found out on DCP , or from friends, that the rumor is that DCI will no longer be showing live stream shows anymore, or just one or 2 a year.. just older shows on archives, all of the older shows, no copyrite issues. And later that this rumor turned out to be true, ie severe cutbacks on the number of live streams of shows for FN Subscribers, just the older archived shows would remain intact as they always have been. Would you be so cavalier that your FN Subscription would offer you no refund, and nothing of substitution value for the loss of the live streams, and it was all handled initially by a blank screen ?. Be honest with yourselves here. No, you wouldn't be so blase. You'd be &%*$# *@ livid. You'd most likely call it a " PR disaster ", and such a characterization would probably not be " going a little too far " to describe it this way, either. And you'd be correct in that assessment too, imo if this happened to you and any others who purchased FN for perhaps different reasons ( ie, live streams of shows ) than some others of us did.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Let me ask those of you who are current FN Subscribers, that purchased FN for the live steaming this question : " what if you found out, with no prior notification, that you turned on your computer this summer and got a blank screen... later you found out on DCP , or from friends, that the rumor is that DCI will no longer be showing live streams anymore.. just older shows, all of the older shows, no copyrite issues. And later that this rumor turned out to be true.. no more live streams of shows for FN Subscribers Would you be so cavalier that your FN Subscription would offer you no refund, and nothing of substitution for the loss of the live streams ?. Be honest with yourselves here. You'd be &%*$# *@ livid You would most likely call it a " PR disaster ", and guess what ? it would be in that case too.

Fan Network subscriptions all roll over at the same time, the beginning of the new season. DCI lays out what each season's minimum live streaming will be, and that's what you pay for (I say minimum because they have added live streams to the package during the season). The Fan Network package also includes access to the archives. The terms of service you sign when you purchase the service includes language about the Fan Network's responsibilities in case of copyright issues.
That said, if DCI changed the live streams substantially between when I purchased the upcoming season and when the season concluded, I would indeed take issue with it. Would I be "&%*$#*@ livid"? That would depend on the issue, circumstances, and how I was notified. Would it be a "PR disaster"? Unless they said nothing, no it would not. Would I be upset if the contents of the archives changed? Not really, no. I can understand while some folks might be, but I've pretty much purchased and backed up whatever I wanted from the archives (I have also ripped all my DCI DVD and Blue Rays). It's rare that I pull something up in the archives, but it has happened. My usage might be vastly different from that of others...I'm primarily a live stream viewer.
For the folks that don't care about the live stream and only care about the archives, again, I sympathize. But given the current climate regarding copyright in this country, folks should know going in that DCI has had to make adjustments in the past, and they will in the future. They've been pretty up front about it.
​Regardless of any circumstances, I can assure you that I would never ever be "cavalier" about anything. Ever.
  • Like 1

I would guess a lot of the people that are NOT upset with the way this was handled are FN subscribers that principally purchased FN for the live streams.

For some of us, the archives of older shows was one of the principal benefits of the purchase.

Let me ask those of you who are current FN Subscribers, that purchased FN principally for the live steaming this question : " what if you found out, with no prior notification, that you turned on your computer this summer and got a blank screen... later you found out on DCP , or from friends, that the rumor is that DCI will no longer be showing live stream shows anymore, or just one or 2 a year.. just older shows on archives, all of the older shows, no copyrite issues. And later that this rumor turned out to be true, ie severe cutbacks on the number of live streams of shows for FN Subscribers, just the older archived shows would remain intact as they always have been. Would you be so cavalier that your FN Subscription would offer you no refund, and nothing of substitution value for the loss of the live streams ?. Be honest with yourselves here. No, you wouldn't be so blase. You'd be &%*$# *@ livid. You'd most likely call it a " PR disaster ", and such a characterization would probably not be " going a little too far " to describe it this way, either. And you'd be correct in that assessment too, imo if this happened to you and any others who purchased FN for perhaps different reasons ( ie, live streams of shows ) than some others of us did.

I'd likely read the Terms of Service of my "contract" and promise myself to be more fastidious in the future.

Right before I renew my subscription.

• Like 2

For the folks that don't care about the live stream and only care about the archives, again, I sympathize.

hmnnnn... not.. really... feeling.. all this supposed " sympathy " coming thru here, to be honest with you.

I can just imagine the blase attitude if DCI decided to cut by half ( or more ) the live streams, then turned around and told FN Subscribers ".... " " well, you fans, if you read the fine print there in your contract it does tell you that we can reduce the numbers of live streams to a minimum, and thats what we decided to do, so the rumors of that are true.... and " no" we won't be giving any of you a partial refund". Try and defend that cutback of service of the live streams with .. " well, you have my sympathy, but DCI did tell you they could do this in that fine print of theirs, you know ". Well, yes, while this is technically true, few would characterize that reduction in FN subscrription service as anything less than a FN PR disaster for those who forked over their money thinking DCI would not cut the live streams by half, and then essentially turn around and say.. " well, tough luck for you the customer as we decided this was what we HAD to do here at DCI, and as for the lack of prior notice, well our lawyers told us we legally needed to have you all find out via a blank computer screen or thru the rumor mill, instead of a courtesy email notification instead ".

Edited by BRASSO

hmnnnn... not really feeling for all this supposed " sympathy " coming thru here, to be honest with you.

I can just imagine the blase attitude if DCI decided to cut by half ( or more ) the live streams, then turn around and tell FN Subscribers ".... " " well, you fans, if you read the fine print there in your contract it does tell you that we can reduce the serve of live streams to a minimum, thats what we decided to do, so the rumors of that are true.... and " no" we won't be giving any of you a partial refund". Try and defend that cutback of service of the live streams with .. " well, you have my sympathy, but DCI did tell you they could do this in that fine print of theirs, you know ". Well, yes, while this is technically true, few would characterize that reduction in FN as anyghing less than a FN PR disaster for those who forked over their money thinking DCI would not cut the live streams by half, and then essentially say.. " well, tough luck for you the customer as we decided this was what we HAD to do here at DCI ".

Look, DCI has never cut live streams from any of the packages, and until they actually do, you're just blowing smoke. In fact, they've done just the opposite on several occasions...added live streams during the season (and occasionally even made them free for everyone). It's unlikely that they'd even have to cut a stream, but if they did, I feel pretty confident they would make amends, and do it quickly. And that's based on previous interactions with FN customer service when there have been issues with in-process streams.

Never mind that the most likely reason for FN archives being reduced is copyright. Live streaming and archival copyrights aren't the same. Does it suck that DCI has been forced to cut shows or parts of shows from the archives? Absolutely. But it's not DCI's fault by any stretch. Copyright laws in this country suck. It's not just DCI that's been affected either, but that's obviously what we're discussing here. The simple fact is the cost to purchase or renew rights could be just too much to pay for DCI. If anything, place the blame on those running DCI 20-40 years ago, when no one gave a crap about copyright, including arranging and performance rights, let alone synch and media rights.

As for any of this being a "PR disaster", it's not. You keep using that word...

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

Look, DCI has never cut live streams from any of the packages, and until they actually do, you're just blowing smoke. .

Look, DCI never cut out many of the TOP 12 shows out of their subscription service before either. So naturally, there were few complaints re. the FN subscription service. As a matter of fact, I have posts on here on DCP from before this happened, complimenting DCI on this FN concept. I am not" blowing smoke" There are people upset with how DCI handled this. if you choose to be on record for defending DCI on how they handled this by saying.... " well, they did tell you in the fine print they could cut back things to a minimum, they did so, but didn't tell you in a proper way, etc ", and you ( and others ) are " blowing smoke ", yada yada yada.. No we're not... we're "blowing steam", and we have a right too. This was a disaster how DCI handled this, and they heard about it too, even if you, and maybe a handfdul of others here on DCP, want to jump in now and try to defend how it went down.

Edited by BRASSO

. Would I be upset if the contents of the archives changed? Not really, no. I can understand while some folks might be, but I've pretty much purchased and backed up whatever I wanted from the archives

So in other words, you backed up things that others didn't, and if they simply backed up these shows, they'd be happy as a clam just like you on DCI purging these shows off their subscription service.

So can we file this under " I got mine thru extraordinary means.. sorry you and others didn't get what you thought you would get without taking the extraordinary steps I took. "

Actually, we can probably cut right to the chase with your position as simply.... " I got mine ! ":

Edited by BRASSO

So in other words, you backed up things that others didn't, and if they simply backed up these shows, they'd be happy as a clam just like you on DCI purging these shows off their subscription service.

So can we file this under " I got mine, sorry you don't ! ?

Yea, so you clearly are just trying to be belligerent (what else is new?). I said my original reply (to a question you asked, no less) that I do sympathize, I think it sucks that a kid can't log on to the FN and watch '89 Vanguard. But it's *isn't* DCI 's fault. It isn't the FN's fault.

It's not a matter of "I got mine". You need to stop asking questions if you're going to automatically dislike the answers you get (which seems to happen a lot lately).

• Like 2