Ond Flatulent-Person Complaint

I kinda love all the outrage/shock when a drum corps is called a band. It's as if they're implying that a band is some degrading thing and that corps are morally superior or something. It's really such a dumb take.

...and then we insult them for good measure.

• Like 1

What makes him stupid? For thinking people in the larger world don't get or care about the difference between band and drum corps, or is the exposure on a national stage not worth it because they were labeled wrong?

he isn't stupid. i just chose the smilie because it was funny and i've used it for years.

• Like 1

They ARE a band. Am I missing something here? Drum corps is a subset of the term "band" - a type of band

oh you had to go and use facts again didnt you?

he isn't stupid. i just chose the smilie because it was funny and i've used it for years.

If you had seen me trying to install an SSD in my laptop yesterday you might not be so sure...

Edited by Lincoln

My guess would be that very few people at the Indy 500 care, but if they do, it's a good thing. It means that DCI has made headway in Indy.

Distinctions are important, and while I will agree that the superiority of drum corps over bands has subsided a bit, and compared to years ago is vastly different, there is nothing wrong with being specific when speaking about a drum corps vs. a band. There are differences and acknowledging differences is important, as long as it is not condescending. Also, if the distinctions are not important, why hasn't DCI started a competitive band division? Why doesn't BOA have a drum corps circuit? Distinctions are not bad, snootiness about the distinctions is problematic, and it is still alive and well, especially when kids return form tour and can, at least according to some directors, be royal pains. I should also be noted that coaches fen day the same thing about kids who lay on AU teams, s it's not just a drum corps issue.

Also, would Jim Jones mind his Troopers being called a marching band? He could. Remember the founders of the great corps like Jim Jones, George Bonfiglio, Gail Royer, and others started drum and bugle corps and saw the activity as having something unique to offer a young person.In the case of George Bonfiglio, the CYO Circuit and Eastern Mass Circuit both had competitive bands and many a 27th Lancer, North Star, Boston Crusader, Holy Family Defender, St. Mary Cardinal, etc. go their start in the bands and were often considered top recruits since in many cases they could march better and could read music which was not always the case with those beginning in drum corps. I'm sure many of the CYO Bands would have love do have had George B as their director and if he wanted to started band, he could have easily have done so. Jim Jones could have been just as revolutionary starting a band. It may have mattered at the time he lived, but my hope is that he's looking down from Haven and is proud of what his corps is doing, and I doubt Troopers being listed as a band is ruining eternal life for him.

• Like 1

The title of this thread makes me laugh. Not because it's not appropriate, but because the term "ond flatulent" just seems to fit a few things here.

In 12 years I can't remember the word flatulent being used in either posts or a thread title. Fart actually passes the filters but it just doesn't seem as funny.

In 2014, 25 organizations competed in the DCI World Class Semi-Finals, those being:

Blue Devils Drum and Bugle Corps

Bluecoats Drum and Bugle Corps

The Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps

Santa Clara Vanguard Drum and Bugle Corps

Carolina Crown Drum and Bugle Corps

The Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps

Phantom Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps

Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corps

Blue Stars Drum and Bugle Corps

Boston Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps

Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps

Crossmen Drum and Bugle Corps

Colts Drum and Bugle Corps

Troopers Drum and Bugle Corps

Blue Devils B Drum and Bugle Corps

The Academy Drum and Bugle Corps

Spirit of Atlanta Drum and Bugle Corps

Vanguard Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps

Oregon Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps

Pacific Crest Drum and Bugle Corps

Mandarins Drum and Bugle Corps

Jersey Surf Drum and Bugle Corps

Genesis Drum and Bugle Corps

Spartans Drum and Bugle Corps

7th Regiment Drum and Bugle Corps

Nary a "band," as much as I can tell. If nothing else, it is my belief that these organizations deserve to be referred to in the manner which they refer to themselves. They've earned that honor and distinction.

• Like 1

If you had seen me trying to install an SSD in my laptop yesterday you might not be so sure...

we'd have been in the same boat, so no worries!