Colts first performance

Visually its low, but I can tell they're going to be a visually strong corps again for sure.

Visually strong corps? Since when? That's usually their major weakness in my opinion. The music ensemble usually out-performs the visual ensemble.

Visually strong corps? Since when? That's usually their major weakness in my opinion. The music ensemble usually out-performs the visual ensemble.

I'll refer you to the last two seasons recaps.

2014:

Visual Proficiency - 13th

Visual Analysis - 9th

Color Guard - 11th

Brass - 15th

Analysis - 16th

Percussion - 17th

Music - 15th

Visual - 12th

2013:

Visual Proficiency - 15th

Visual Analysis - 14th

Color Guard - 15th

Brass - 16th

Analysis - 18th

Percussion - 16th

Music - 17th

Visual - 15th

Edited by DrumManTx

same problem as last year. Talking > brass playing. Whats bad is i am a pro narration/sound clip person but it just covers up everything else going on. Is it better than last years show to me? yes. Does anyone know if they know more drill but decided to just do stand still or was that all they know?

I'm not talking about score, because each caption is relative to other corps. Just visually the colts are quite lacking, even on finals night.

I'm not talking about score, because each caption is relative to other corps. Just visually the colts are quite lacking, even on finals night.

Well to each their own. I see it too, their visual program is very intelligently designed and was extremely well performed to me and many others last year. That was the one part of their show I can say I really enjoyed.

• Like 1

Well, considering they haven't had a finals night visual score (or any other caption score) since 2007...

Visual isn't holding them back, not when Marc Sylvester is present.

Don't get me wrong: it took tons of cleaning to make last year's show visually presentable. But they acheived by finals, and the caption score reflects that.

If music performance catches up (which I think it will), finals won't be as remote a possibility.

Regarding narration: I was put off by it initially (caught off guard by the wise-guy voice), but I warmed up to it after a second listen. The narrator sells it. Ballad vocals ... not so much (performer sells it, too ... but the lyrics don't really serve the show).

Some of the narrator's lines should change ("one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest" ... barf), but the old-school radio drama idea definitely has legs. I already like this better than last year's show. I appreciate them trying something new, but I still couldn't follow the story by finals (the scarecrow went crazy and killed everyone ... Or something?).

This year's show already has more focus and seems easier to build up.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

Some of the narrator's lines should change ("one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest" ... barf)

I agree that one should be rewritten.

• 1 month later...

I had seen the colts online before but I recently saw them in person and I decided to time their narration(which seems to have very little or no playing during it) and I ended up with 4 minutes and 2 seconds. This is what is wrong with drum corps now. It is almost as if playing doesn't matter anymore. How are they getting ranked higher than corps who actually play their whole show? What about like Mandarins or Spirit of Atlanta? Its really just sad and embarrassing for the Colts these past two years.