Field Pass: 2015 Preview Part 1

His comment about "its not a 12-corps show anymore," is something I think is becoming very true over the last few seasons.

For several years, it was standard at world championships to see the stands remain only about half full until the top 6 came on, then the crowds would leave the souvie booths to come watch. Not so anymore.

During last year's award ceremony broadcast, Steve Rondinaro mentioned that the stands had been pretty full since the beginning of the night at finals. People are starting to want to see the whole competition. There are more corps that they enjoy watching. Maybe we will start to see some of this trickle down in to quarterfinals and semifinals, as well as some of the smaller shows around the country.

• Like 1

Another thought I just had: could increased viewership of lower-placed corps help with vet retention? As someone who never placed above 14th, I know how incredibly frustrating it is for performers to spend all summer working on a show, only to have people kind of take this attitude of "Meh. You're not worth my time. I'm going to buy a t-shirt until you guys are done." The kids who march want their work to be appreciated. So, if people keep not showing up for your shows, of course some of the members will say, "Why am I even doing this? I'm just not going to march/go march another corps next year."

Shows where there were actually people in the stands to see what you've done were always the best. Not every show is the same; there are still shows where people come to watch all the corps. But especially the big shows, like regionals and world championships, seem to have the above problem. Like I said, maybe if people start watching the non-top-12 corps more, we will see some more retention and therefore more competition within the rankings.

• Like 5

Another thought I just had: could increased viewership of lower-placed corps help with vet retention? As someone who never placed above 14th, I know how incredibly frustrating it is for performers to spend all summer working on a show, only to have people kind of take this attitude of "Meh. You're not worth my time. I'm going to buy a t-shirt until you guys are done." The kids who march want their work to be appreciated. So, if people keep not showing up for your shows, of course some of the members will say, "Why am I even doing this? I'm just not going to march/go march another corps next year."

Shows where there were actually people in the stands to see what you've done were always the best. Not every show is the same; there are still shows where people come to watch all the corps. But especially the big shows, like regionals and world championships, seem to have the above problem. Like I said, maybe if people start watching the non-top-12 corps more, we will see some more retention and therefore more competition within the rankings.

I'm definitely a watch all the corps guy, there's some amazing shows all across the board. I think I've said it before, but your 2011 show is an all time favorite for me. Along with The Academy from the same year. I think that it's picking up steam, in Denver last year I noticed a lot more response to the corps that didn't get a lot of response in previous years I had went to shows. We shall see. The bar gets raises every year, and I think all the corps are rising to the challenge.

• Like 2

What strikes me is Cesario's lack of comment (only a sentence) about Pacific Crest.

That's more than he said about Cascades, Jersey Surf, Oregon Crusaders, or Troopers.

• Like 3

I'm not trying to diss Michael at all - more curiosity than anything else. What exactly does the job description of DCI's Artistic Director entail? I know he has been doing something the last 5 years, but I'm not exactly sure what that is (besides these beginning of the season podcasts every year, which I'm sure is not officially part of his job, as well as the move when he first took the job to get the corps' shows to be more fan-friendly, which the success of that is still open for debate).

Again, not trying to diss or anything like that, just curious.

Michael has the whole Stuart Smalley in all of it's chocolaty goodness thingy going on. The"Daily Affirmations" would make Stewart proud. But once, just once, I'd pay money to see Michael go to the dark side on a corps' choices. One corps. ANY corps. I won't hold my breath. Even the poorest of choices are presented my Micheal with a woody that a little person could do pull ups on. :tounge2:

Michael has the whole Stuart Smalley in all of it's chocolaty goodness thingy going on. The"Daily Affirmations" would make Stewart proud. But once, just once, I'd pay money to see Michael go to the dark side on a corps' choices. One corps. ANY corps. I won't hold my breath. Even the poorest of choices are presented my Micheal with a woody that a little person could do pull ups on. :tounge2:

So, let's talk about what "family-friendly" means, eh Pardner?

01-Toy-Story-3-Woody.jpg