Field Pass: 2015 Preview Part 1

Today's FIeld Pass features Dan Potter and Cesario talking about what the corps have coming down the pipes for this next season. Check it out here: http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=210145013

Michael Cesario's early statement is quite, quite telling: "It isn't just a drum corps show anymore!"

Second statement prompting consideration:

"18 new judges and 4 returning fathers after taking some time off" leads me to wonder how many times will each judge actually be used and will these viewings see all corps?

Possibility exists for a judge to do 5 shows, all in one week following one tour subset, eg. Swamp Tour rather than jetsetting West Coast, East Coast, Texas, and Wisconsin for example.

Will judging assignments be dispersed along the full summer or will these 22 be one-night stands?

Admittedly, any judge might be brilliant in comments, numbers, and suggestions from a one time viewing. But often one needs multiple views to get ALL the layerings in the complicated shows of modern drum corps, no? For most corps, the June show is but a shadow of what is fielded in August.

Edited by xandandl

Today's field pass is corps 7 Through 12. They will post another field pass tomorrow with the top 6 corps.

Pioneer with 135 members or more! Wow! Like what he said about non finalists, "It's not a 12 corps show anymore". Exciting.

How many did they have last year? Let me just check their show on the Fan Network to compare ... oh, never mind.

(Youtube video suggests they had about 90, so this is 50% larger.)

Some highlights:

Before going into more detail on last year's #12-#7, Cesario comments briefly (a sentence or less each) on Colts, Pioneer, Academy, Pacific Crest, Spirit, and Mandarins, but not Troopers, Oregon Crusaders, Jersey Surf, or Cascades.

Regarding the first six of last year's Finalists, he says:

This year's Crossmen show "takes flight", "just flies at the end", and has a "whole new sound", is "very big" and very strong" with a "jazz-tinged flavor" and drill "on a different level". Overall, Bones are "just much improved" in the hands of a "dynamite" staff; their success last year led to "hundreds" of potential members being turned away this year.

The key message at the Madison Scouts is "Boerma's back" with writing that's "modern", "fresh", "through-composed", and quite difficult for the brass. A staff with strong Scouts roots have created a "terrific" show featuring a "narrative line" but not a "story". "I don't want to tell you how they do the tap dances", but the show should be crowd-pleasing "without sacrificing anything in terms of sound" (who knew those two concepts were opposed?).

"Understand" about the Boston Crusaders' show that "you're going to hear some dark moments" representing obstacles that must be overcome, but it's an "honest darkness" in a show that will appeal both to most of the audience, who only sees any given corps once, but also will stand repeat viewing through BAC's strategy of layering. Dan Potter made sure to mention their July 4 show with the Boston Pops, for which outreach beyond the world of drum corps, Cesario is very glad.

The Blue Stars have "something up their sleeves" with the 2015 show, which is "like a prism" that "reflects different lights depending which way you look at it". A staff with "great vision" have gone "so much deeper" in designing a fun program with "moments that are really going to bring to life" more than "just sweetness and light".

2015 will see the "prototypical Blue Knights show" as this corps is "finally in a space where nobody looks or sounds like them". The program "is on another plane" with a "kaleidoscopic" offering.

"There's a twist to" Phantom Regiment's 2015 show, which Cesario "would not want to second guess". The "image writing" in the drill will "hint at cathedral windows or the Eiffel Tower" in a "magical" show that "can change the look and feel of DCI itself ... the texture of the evening is changed". Phantom will treat the field as "a hundred-yard stage, and they're gonna use it". Cesario recommends viewers get acquainted with Funny Face (a 1957 film starring Audrey Hepburn) to have the greatest possible appreciation of this "light and quick" show that also contains "heavy duty fugues".

• Like 1

Thoughts on the podcast.

• Sounds like Crossmen have a great thing going with Markworth and Hardiek with their design staff. I'm really excited to see this visual program.
  • Narration from Madison? That's something that I'm interested to see. Sounds like the tap dancing stuff is going to be really cool.
  • Boston's show sounds pretty literal, which isn't a bad thing. "Game of Thrones" sounds cool.
  • I love it when Michael Cesario talks about a show like he talks about a show like he did about the Blue Stars show. I'm really excited to hear what their tricks are what they have up their sleeves. Makes me excited. :smile:
  • Agreed with Cesario about BK and them having their own distinct identity. Should be cool!
  • Phantom Regiment sounds cool, his comments about the drill are intriguing. Didn't realize Hunt was doing their drill, love his stuff! Sounds like a fan favorite, seems to think they'll have a strong year.

Like all the new blood in the visual programs, particularly drill writers.

I don't know what's in the water this year, but I haven't been more excited for a season to start since I started following the activity.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1