2015 Uniforms (All Threads Now Merged HERE)

So you really said that if marchers question the designers, they should stop performing? OMG you're one of those crackpot designers! :shutup:

Yeah...see...here's how the activity works...in fact, how ANY competitive activity works.

The coaches/instructors/program designers, etc do THEIR job....the performers/athletes. etc do THEIR jobs.

Do staffers sometimes let members have some input? Sure...the fact that 84 BD's first halt had the form coming together rather than spreading out as in the original plan was entirely due to a comment I'd made the day I moved up (and yes....there's a story there). HOWEVER, I didn't say anything until asked BECAUSE was not staff.

The inmates cannot run the asylum....you clearly have not BEEN there in any capacity. Either that or you're impossibly dense.....I'm going with the latter.

As for 2014 Bluecoats.....if taking 2nd for the first time ever with a wildly popular show is poor design, then I say we need MORE of that poor design.

• Like 2

So you really said that if marchers question the designers, they should stop performing? OMG you're one of those crackpot designers! :shutup:

So if Musicman1084 is one of those "crackpot designers" does that make you one of those individuals that never matched for some reason and are bitter with how things are done in the activity?

I'd love to hear your real life experience of questioning a designer as a marching member and how that worked out for you.

I mean, you have strong feelings on it, so enlighten us. What corps, what year, what designer? Your silence will prove my point if that's the route you choose.

• Like 2

I know others just find your whole screed so ridiculous...the only possible answer to it is: lol

But I wanted to find some answer for you. The problem, though, is that it all really IS ridiculous. So, I plucked out one bit that I can address and hopefully show you why you are just plain wrong.

The answer to your question, btw, is "none". While marchers may have their opinions, no marcher is going to "take a designer aside" and tell them that kind of thing...unless that marcher really doesn't want to march. Because, after the designer verbally smacks down that marcher and then goes to talk to his boss...the Director...that marcher MIGHT get a stern talking to and be allowed to continue marching...or the marcher might just get sent home.

But, you see, there are very good reasons for that kind of thing happening and the foremost reason is this: That designer is getting paid to do his job. It's really just that simple. If the designer doesn't do a good job, he will either be fired or not hired again.

The marcher, on the other hand, isn't being paid to do anything. In fact, their position is just the reverse. The marcher PAYS to get an education. The marcher's job isn't to tell anyone, let alone the designer, what he thinks of the show. His job is to perform and learn.

Now...I'm sure there are some marchers who have skills or expertise that the staff...and maybe even the show designers...are inclined to listen to. For example, in BK's show, NoBeginningNoEnd, there was a guard member who was a very talented dancer. I wouldn't be surprised if the staff did listen to and consider any suggestions he might have made.

But listen to every Tom, Dick and Mary? Sorry...it won't happen.

This is just shocking. The activity is filled with sheep. All hail designers! We will never question you because… because… you're paid? OMG some of these answers are just delicious.

This is just shocking. The activity is filled with sheep. All hail designers! We will never question you because… because… you're paid? OMG some of these answers are just delicious.

I'm not sure you are quite comprehending this so I'll echo what others have said as simply as possible: If you start to question and argue with the designers in a corps, more chances than not, you will be talked to and then kicked off if you keep questioning. It's that simple. The designers are there for the marchers' benefit, and these marchers are in the corps to learn and follow. If that makes them sheep, they are sheep. Much like any child in a classroom is.

These responses are shocking in their aggressive, defensive, militant tone. So laughable. Here are the conclusions:

1) There is little communication from the performers to the show coordinators and designers.

2) Performers must completely submit to the designer's vision.

3) Performers have no input into show design.

4) Performers are programmed to execute the material.

5) If performers don't like the material, they can quit.

6) Performers do their isolated jobs, and don't think about the designer's content.

7) Designers are paid and are therefore infallible in their decisions.

8) DCI performers get no hands on experience arranging.

9) DCI performers get no experience designing the show or choreography.

10) DCI performers get no experience selecting musical pieces.

11) DCI performers get no experience selecting show themes or subject matter.

It's clear what the next phase of this activity must include if it is to create leaders, instead of followers. Composers instead of players. Arrangers instead of transcribers. Choreographers instead of chorus line Rockettes. Artists instead of programmed cyborgs. Tear down this ridiculous empire of wacko designers. They've created a private salon from this activity, aggrandizing their own demented hubris and making unchecked and reckless artistic choices. Designers must be knocked off their pedestals order for the activity to grow and to create leaders out of the marchers, who are now nothing more than corralled sheep, yearning for artistic expression and participation.

Edited by Channel3

These responses are shocking in their aggressive, defensive, militant tone. So laughable. Here are the conclusions:

1) There is little communication from the performers to the show coordinators and designers.

2) Performers must completely submit to the designer's vision.

3) Performers have no input into show design.

4) Performers are programmed to execute the material.

5) If performers don't like the material, they can quit.

6) Performers do their isolated jobs, and don't think about the designer's content.

7) Designers are paid and are therefore infallible in their decisions.

8) DCI performers get no hands on experience arranging.

9) DCI performers get no experience designing the show or choreography.

10) DCI performers get no experience selecting musical pieces.

11) DCI performers get no experience selecting show themes or subject matter.

It's clear what the next phase of this activity must include if it is to create leaders, instead of followers. Composers instead of players. Arrangers instead of transcribers. Choreographers instead of chorus line Rockettes. Artists instead of programmed cyborgs. Tear down this ridiculous empire of wacko designers. They've created a private salon from this activity, aggrandizing their own demented hubris and making unchecked and reckless artistic choices. Designers must be knocked off their pedestals order for the activity to grow and to create leaders out of the marchers, who are now nothing more than corralled sheep, yearning for artistic expression and participation.

I give up. All I have to say is that you can't say any of your 11 points with confidence until you have marched a corps.

• Like 1

I give up. All I have to say is that you can't say any of your 11 points with confidence until you have marched a corps.

Did you ever get your score and then privately think that the designers were responsible for the shortcomings? Or did you only focus on your own execution and blame yourself? Did your designers ever address your corp and apologize for poor scores?

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 1

Yeah...see...here's how the activity works...in fact, how ANY competitive activity works.

The coaches/instructors/program designers, etc do THEIR job....the performers/athletes. etc do THEIR jobs.

Pro golfers take advice from their caddies.

Edited by Channel3

Oh my god. Read what you just wrote. :silly:

Hey it's true. Children are encouraged to answer questions that deepen their understanding (and I'm sure corps give explanation of the design elements within the show), but when has a child ever looked at a history textbook or science textbook and CHALLENGED the content within the book? Not very often if ever.