2015 Uniforms (All Threads Now Merged HERE)

Did you ever get your score and then privately think that the designers were responsible for the shortcomings? Or did you only focus on your own execution and blame yourself? Did your designers ever address your corp and apologize for poor scores?

I didn't march. Hence why I am not able to give you definitive answers, only ride off of those who are more experienced than I am. I suggest you do the same.

Either Channel3 is on some mind-bending drugs or he actually believes what he is saying....either way, pretty funny reading!!! I wonder if the phrase "too many chiefs and not enough indians" has ever run across his/her mind.

• Like 2

These responses are shocking in their aggressive, defensive, militant tone. So laughable. Here are the conclusions:

1) There is little communication from the performers to the show coordinators and designers.

2) Performers must completely submit to the designer's vision.

3) Performers have no input into show design.

4) Performers are programmed to execute the material.

5) If performers don't like the material, they can quit.

6) Performers do their isolated jobs, and don't think about the designer's content.

7) Designers are paid and are therefore infallible in their decisions.

8) DCI performers get no hands on experience arranging.

9) DCI performers get no experience designing the show or choreography.

10) DCI performers get no experience selecting musical pieces.

11) DCI performers get no experience selecting show themes or subject matter.

It's clear what the next phase of this activity must include if it is to create leaders, instead of followers. Composers instead of players. Arrangers instead of transcribers. Choreographers instead of chorus line Rockettes. Artists instead of programmed cyborgs. Tear down this ridiculous empire of wacko designers. They've created a private salon from this activity, aggrandizing their own demented hubris and making unchecked and reckless artistic choices. Designers must be knocked off their pedestals order for the activity to grow and to create leaders out of the marchers, who are now nothing more than corralled sheep, yearning for artistic expression and participation.

I find this post so puzzling, mainly because it assumes that all young people who join a corps do so because they ultimately want to design and instruct one themselves. That is often not the case. A lot of the kids want to be pushed to be the best they can be at playing a horn or drum, or spinning equipment. That is the experience they sign up for and the vast majority get it. For those who DO want to get into the design and instruction side of things, there are junior staff positions for them after they age-out. This has been the path followed by generations of teachers and designers, and is the reason a lot of folks who marched in the 80's and 90's are now the top designers.

Certainly there are those who have overstayed their welcome, but with such a small activity with limited open positions, this is the sort of thing that happens. It does not mean that kids who really want to design have no outlet for it. Tons of them go on to create fantastic stuff in BOA and WGI where, frankly, much more creativity currently happens than in the tiny and legacy-burdened world of drum corps.

I'm trying to think of any youth activity where the kids get input into the program they are performing - dance, cheerleading, orchestra, drill team, drama/theater - there is nothing that works like that, and for good reason. The kids are learning to be performers, not teachers. That part comes later, if they wish.

• Like 2

Love Pacific Crest's uniforms. BK's really seem to go with their show. Academy's are always classy and beautiful. And Cascades look like the snow covered mountains of the Pacific Northwest... so beautiful! Devils seem to fit with what they are doing. SVC looks cool on the field. All in all I think a good new uniform year!

• Like 1

This is just shocking. The activity is filled with sheep. All hail designers! We will never question you because because you're paid? OMG some of these answers are just delicious.

I'm really sorry you got cut and never marched. It's a real shame, it's fun to be a part of the activity.

Edited by tesmusic
  • Like 1

Pro golfers take advice from their caddies.

Bad analogy. Pro golfers don't have a team of 150 caddies.

Sorry...Anyway, uniforms...I find the Cascade's "colored pencil" look genuinely fascinating. Does anyone have any long distance shots of them? I'm curious how they look from afar.

Did you ever get your score and then privately think that the designers were responsible for the shortcomings? Or did you only focus on your own execution and blame yourself? Did your designers ever address your corp and apologize for poor scores?

So what happened after that Phantom Regiment rehearsal you watched was over and you told the designer how you felt about what you had seen? What did he say in response to your comments?

Why is this still a thing?