DCI West- Stanford, CA

I loved the Blue Devil's show last year. This year the theme doesn't come across nearly as well. It's scattered, not layered and blended as perfectly as last year. Sure, it's clean now, but when everyone else cleans up with them, will the GE scores still hold up? To me SCV and Bluecoats have them beat in spades on GE.

• Like 2

I think that, based on where the shows are right now. Like, if this was finals, it would go BD, SCV, Bloo, Cadets, Crown.

I think that when its all said and done, in August we will see BD and SCV medal. I do not know who of the Cadets, Crown, Bloo will also medal. I fear that Crown won't be able to pull off this show, though I hope they can. I am not sure if the Cadets can hold off the bluecoats this season. Im inclined to believe itll be BD, SCV, and Bloo in no particular order.

I am in agreement, I love what Cadets are doing but I feel like when everything hits with Bloo, its going to be hard to stop.

Which is why It think they will medal again this year, and am in agreement with the placement you gave.

Crown, isn't doing it for me, I dunno why, but they are not jiving with me this year.

So the story character's I saw in BD

Witch in black cape at the beginning,

Red riding hood and lots of wolves during the drum Break/k-pop section

And I think the booms before the ballad were supposed to be a giant.

Anyone notice anything else?

Theme wise what I "think" I saw

A witch brings the books "Ink" to life and characters start escaping from the children stories

The ballad is about the character's realizing the children aren't gonna be able to read about them anymore now that they're out of the books

Then after that I'm not sure, seems like everything escaped and the story fell apart? I'm sure the ending will change like everyone else in the top 12

Edited by Aké

Bias alert!

SCV's drill is my favorite of the season. Yeah, I know that it still early, but their drill just blows me away! They may not be the cleanest, but it's really mesmerizing drill!

Completely agree.

Bias alert!

SCV's drill is my favorite of the season. Yeah, I know that it still early, but their drill just blows me away! They may not be the cleanest, but it's really mesmerizing drill!

Completely agree ... it is dirty though, as usual. So hard to clean that stuff up. I think that is one of the biggest things holding them out of medal contention. I hope they can get it clean this year.

BD needs a housekeeper on the field. So much stuff. I don't get this modern look for the guard with all these classic characters. So disconnected.

I'm not really seeing how last year and this year are the first two years in a "10 year change" from them. They use the same style of brass 16th note passagesthat aren't from any source material, that they have used since 2003, the same marching technique, the same make it up as they go along drill(Their words), and the same random white props that may of may not go with that years show. Lots of the same shtick. Great performance, but they have been repeating themselves for years

Please tell me if I'm missing out on the innovation.

Well, lets be real, most everyone does this in drum corps. I mean, hasn't Crown been playing in unison and the same tuning friendly major keys for 10 years now? And Cavaliers still trying to design like its 2002? And Cadets still playing the old fashioned game of great drill and great performance? Phantom still trying to sell a love theme with 12/5 drill most of the show and then jazz running the rest? I think its all relative and if we are being honest, Bluecoats 2015 might just be the first really unique thing to happen to DCI since 1993 and Star of Indiana.

The reality is up to this point, BD has just done their shows better and makes them look easier most years. Better talent, better performers, more mature artists. It's not necessary ideal in our activity to have one dominant team, but you can't knock professional level performance, year in year out. Until someone outperforms them consistently (Crown 2013, Cadets 2011), it probably won't change much in the future.

Edited by trumpetcam
  • Like 2

I'll have to wait to see BD and SCV first-hand. They sound like they have terrific shows. I have seen Crown, Cadets, and Bloo. I think there will be a lot of suspense as to who takes the gold, silver, and bronze this year. After less than 1 week in the books, it's shaping up to be an very exciting and competitive season! Great for drum corps, great for us fans!

Scores soon, so lets turn the volume on the mic WAAAAY down so no one can hear it.

Here's my take on tonight:

1) Mandarins were very impressive. Did not expect this.

2) BK is my favorite show out of these corps.

3) Phantom just feels very old (#### I hate saying that), they need to wake up, it's 2015. They are getting passed by.

4) SCV just didn't impress me the way I was expecting. Not sure what everyone is saying here, maybe I need another read. But, drum line is best I've heard this year.

5) BD is again not my thing. However, a family day youtube video was insane. Horn line is amazing, as always.

After this show, I've seen all corps that will be in top 6. Here's my (early) prediction:

1) BLOO

2) BD

3) Crown

4) Cadets

5) SCV

6) BK

My favorites are:

1) BLOO

2) Crown

3) BK

• Like 2