Hey Staff People... Don't be jerks

I just want to remind those staff members out there reading to be courteous when they are watching shows. I attended two shows over the weekend and both times I encountered staff not acting their best.

If you're going to sit with the paying customers please remove your backpack before wacking 6 people with it as you try to get some free seats. Some people bruise easily.

Please be quiet. I'm more than happy to hear your opinion after the performance. It may be the corps I marched with or my best friends kid you are criticizing, or worse yet, it might be my kid.

Show some class, and clap for everyone. When you sit on your ### not clapping while everyone around you is giving a standing O, you look like a tool. When you're wearing your corps name all over your shirt, it makes me think less of your organization. Hopefully, this isn't what you're teaching your members.

Seriously, be quiet. Tickets to these shows are expensive, and I didn't pay to hear you. Next time I won't be so nice.

Lol this is hilarious. I wonder how many paying customers are getting the same complaints.

• Like 1

I agree that staff should be respectful of the paying fans they infiltrate to view their corps and of the MM's they are watching (or other corps MM's). If there are issues with them being rude or obnoxious and a bit overzealous in their enjoyment of their corps (and themselves for showing fans they are an instructor with the performing corps) don't be bashful about going to the souvie booth or on facebook and outing the offending staff members. So long as they are anonymous they will continue their bad behaviour.

IMO, if their staff colleagues are aware of their behaviour, especially the caption heads, they may be asked to not go up there anymore. IMO most tech's don't need to be there anyway as they can get their feedback down lower to the field. Caption heads, programmers or designers might be best suited to view from above. Maybe there should there be a cap on how many staff members can go up in the stands? Maybe 4 -5? That way Sponsors don't lose much if any seat money. Just my $.02.

That might be swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. There are plenty of reasons for technical staff to watch shows from up top, and each corps does things differently. I can't speak for other sections, but everywhere I have taught (including this year in DCA) each member of the brass staff is listening for different things, and it's sometimes different on a nightly basis. I always choose my vantage point based on what I'm currently listening for. Usually that's at or near the box, but not always.

The real bummer is that the topic of rude staff seems to come up every year. I wish every corps staff would at least have a conversation about this, and set some sort of internal policy. I know many do just that...but not all. There's nothing more annoying or embarrassing than when a member of any corps' staff yells during set-up or between tunes. If I hear, "You better get it!" one more time, I'm going to lose my mind. It's an order of magnitude worse if it's someone on my own corps staff (not this year, but it has happened in the past). Thankfully it gets handled.

Professionalism is important, and applies to everyone. We're there to do a job. If we want to enjoy the performance, we can buy the DVD.

• Like 1

That might be swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. There are plenty of reasons for technical staff to watch shows from up top, and each corps does things differently. I can't speak for other sections, but everywhere I have taught (including this year in DCA) each member of the brass staff is listening for different things, and it's sometimes different on a nightly basis. I always choose my vantage point based on what I'm currently listening for. Usually that's at or near the box, but not always.

The real bummer is that the topic of rude staff seems to come up every year. I wish every corps staff would at least have a conversation about this, and set some sort of internal policy. I know many do just that...but not all. There's nothing more annoying or embarrassing than when a member of any corps' staff yells during set-up or between tunes. If I hear, "You better get it!" one more time, I'm going to lose my mind. It's an order of magnitude worse if it's someone on my own corps staff (not this year, but it has happened in the past). Thankfully it gets handled.

Professionalism is important, and applies to everyone. We're there to do a job. If we want to enjoy the performance, we can buy the DVD.

Sorry, but that emboldend statement is ridiculous. First, the OP states that staff members should give standing Os for other corps during their performances, now YOU'RE saying they should show their enjoyment for their corps? Last time I checked, staff members had the same rights as people at the show. There are some things that staff members perhaps should not be doing at a show, but we are all human beings. You can't control the way someone reacts at a performance just because YOU have a problem with it. This is not the Opera.

Times have changed IMO...While I agree with this sentiment about staff specifically...I remember rowdy crowds of the past...yelling stuff mid-show at very quiet parts etc...I remember one year an individual was quite vocal in the crowd at A-town...it didn't take long for the crowd to shut him down fast...lol...I've also been to shows where every staff member held nothing but the utmost professionalism...

On the other hand...this is an outdoor activity and not the symphony orchestra...so I'm not really sure what the big deal is anyway...

• Like 1

Times have changed IMO...While I agree with this sentiment about staff specifically...I remember rowdy crowds of the past...yelling stuff mid-show at very quiet parts etc...I remember one year an individual was quite vocal in the crowd at A-town...it didn't take long for the crowd to shut him down fast...lol...I've also been to shows where every staff member held nothing but the utmost professionalism...

On the other hand...this is an outdoor activity and not the symphony orchestra...so I'm not really sure what the big deal is anyway...

My sentiments exactly...

Well, that's pretty darned rude, and totally ridiculous.

Show sponsors are supposed to provide a viewing area for the staff near the press box (for their corps only). Not all shows do, which is why you see many staff having to stand or sit in the aisle at the top of the stairs or trying to find any open seat with a decent viewing angle. Most corps direct their staff members to behave in a professional manner, and the vast majority certainly do. Remember, the staff isn't there to enjoy the show...they are working.

I will say I'm totally opposed to staff members yelling anything (applause is fine), particularly while the corps is setting up. It's up to older experienced staff to prevent their younger staff from doing this.

Maybe our contract didn't provide this request but I doubt we're that special.

I've been on show staff for a decade and I've read our contract completely each year.

What you suggest above has never been requested of us. Ever.

• Like 1

Let me clarify.

I have no problem with people yelling things during the show. I'm a drum corps fan, and like people said, this isn't the opera. I do have a problem with have a running commentary during the show, which gets in the way of me hearing the performers. In the end, it's disrespectful to talk during a performance.

Yes, they are doing their job, but they didn't pay for tickets in the most expensive section. Don't be pushing your way into seats you didn't pay for and ramming into people who did pay for their seats.

When staff is observing other corps, have some manners. Sitting on your hands is rude, and makes me think less of your corps. Especially when I saw staff from other corps cheering for your kids a short time before.

Just because the event is outside doesn't mean it should be a free for all. Learn some manners.

Sorry, but that emboldend statement is ridiculous. First, the OP states that staff members should give standing Os for other corps during their performances, now YOU'RE saying they should show their enjoyment for their corps? Last time I checked, staff members had the same rights as people at the show. There are some things that staff members perhaps should not be doing at a show, but we are all human beings. You can't control the way someone reacts at a performance just because YOU have a problem with it. This is not the Opera.

Human rights, yes of course.

But not the same rights as a customer who has bought a ticket. No chance.

I've asked judges in the booth to quiet down so as to not disturb the paying fans. One judge, with complete contrition, was very glad someone actually said something.

My job as a show host is to sell tickets, not accommodate staff members. If staff members cost me just one paid seat it's one too many.

And I'm sorry, there's not a show host (or fire marshal) who should put up with staff sitting in the aisles of the stadium. It's simply not allowed.

The only "on the other hand" I have is that, for some of these staff, show night is the only chance they get to view their corps from a press box. Especially the lower-placing corps who rarely get a host school that has a grandstand or pressbox. But that doesn't excuse or permit staff doing anything to interrupt my customer's enjoyment of the show they paid to see.

• Like 4

This comes up every year. I've never witnessed it, but it must happen since it comes up over and over. I have seen the staff of some corps run up the stairs of a stadium prior to a performance and leaving immediately after in a way that looks like they are trying to make their importance felt, but that happens just about everywhere and I've never seen it ruin anyone's experience. Most of the rude behavior I have seen is from fans who be.ieve they are entitled, but again this can happen everywhere.

There are two possible solutions. One, provide staff seating. Premium seats should be for paying customers, but there are usually plenty of seats availabile. Second, in many school districts, athletic directors are responsible for the actions of fans supporting their school. Corps should be responsible for their volunteers and staff. If people from the corps act obnoxious, remove credentials.

Once you understand that show hosts PAY DCI to have a corps perform at their show and takes 100% of the risk of success at the show, you feel differently about this very subject. Staff are not Gods. They have no entitlements. They are not special.

If they can't sit in empty seats (not the aisles) without disturbing the paying customers then they need to stay the heck on the track.

• Like 3