Phailing Phantom-- How Phar Will They Phall?

Look at the name - this might be SEC-west inspired

ps - Geaux Tigers!

pps - I was at the Earthquake Game

I'm an Auburn alum myself and already inquired in a pm and this poster had NO idea about the connection between his screen name and the great university and decide to cuss me out when I mention the level of class that should be exhibited by AU alum and/or drum corps folks on general. Edited by drummergirl

And they certainly can't win with a show that is doomed to begin with. Maybe there should be two sets of scores. One for the designers of the shows and one for the performance of the show. I still say it's unfortunate that kids have to work so hard on something that is so far less than a great show to begin with.

The PR show, being performed last last night, seemed so outclassed, silly and tired when looking at the top 5 corps shows.

They do have two sets of scores. Look on the recaps for 'Content' and 'Achievement'.

I'm just going to be blunt.

I've said this before. There are plenty of corps who would love to have the success PR has had in the last 30-40 years.

It's almost as like some of these Phans are spoiled. "wahhh they're not playing a show that will make me cry and my spine tingle! wahhhh! fire them all! wahhhh!"

For crying out loud, they're still top 8, and they're going to be top 8. If it's not your favorite show of the year, oh well. There are other corps doing other shows that you may enjoy.

Heck, my corps is hovering around the 9-14 mark and might not make Finals, although they should be in. I'm not complaining about it, because I support them.

If you don't like a certain show, fine, but you as a fan do not have the right to suggest that all the staff be fired because you don't like it. If you really supported the corps, you would do what others have suggested, and actually support them with your words and actions. But whining about them not being top of the line every year is not support. Claiming that the staff should be fired is not support.

It's selfish. You don't really care about them, all you really care about is them staying top tier and doing shows you like so you can have a corpsgasm again.

Do you really think the PR staff is sitting in the RV all smug and content? Of course not. They know their program isn't living up to their expectations. I'm sure that during their precious few half-hours of non-rehearsal time, like during meals and before bed, they're coming up with ideas on how to improve the show, while at the same time listening to judge tapes, writing down notes, coming up with a plan on what to work on the next day, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

In short, they're working their butts off, just like every other staff, trying to improve their corps.

What they don't need is some whiny little disgruntled fan behind a computer screen screaming they should be fired for their efforts.

Good grief, I can't believe we're all getting our panties in a bunch over something so stupid.

EVERY CORPS HAS OFF YEARS - and in the case of PR, it's merely a slightly-less-than-typical year.

Perhaps you should take up a summer hobby and get your mind off it all for a while, because it certainly seems to be driving you bonkers.

Thank you for this post. It is absolutely true on all points. The cry babies on this thread will most likely never know what it is to march in a top corps, and they most certainly will never be on staff. Perhaps they will read your post and gain a little perspective. Doubtful. But, knowing what IS going on among these dedicated staffers, I very much appreciate your post.

• Like 1

I think my issue with Phantom's 2015 show is I feel like they couldn't think of a championship design and just kinda...settled. Threw a dart on a map, it landed on Paris and they were like "alright there's our show".

And that's an issue to me, especially for one of the top corps in the country.

See, with the Cavaliers you know they're trying. They're picking really good show themes (secret cults, vampires, video games) but just are unable to deliver a championship show. And that's fine. I still love the Cavs.

But with Phantom this year I feel like its less "2008 DCI World Champion, Phantom Regiment!" and more like "The 2014 PRHS Marching Phantom band presents: Sounds from across the world, part 1: Paris!"

I don't know, I just feel like they didn't TRY with this show concept. I mean...Paris? Really? Crown does Hell from Dante's Inferno, BD does the infinite possibilities of writing, Cadets do...how many championships they've won, and the best they can come up with is PARIS.

I feel bad for those kids, because you know they're workin their tails off. I'm not saying fire the staff, because I'm going to assume they're a lil better at corps management than I (just a little), but I will criticize them.

• Like 3

I think my issue with Phantom's 2015 show is I feel like they couldn't think of a championship design and just kinda...settled. Threw a dart on a map, it landed on Paris and they were like "alright there's our show".

See, with the Cavaliers you know they're trying. They're picking really good show themes (secret cults, vampires, video games) but just are unable to deliver a championship show. And that's fine. I still love the Cavs.

But with Phantom this year I feel like its less "2008 DCI World Champion, Phantom Regiment!" and more like "The 2014 PRHS Marching Phantom band presents: Sounds from across the world, part 1: Paris!"

I don't know, I just feel like they didn't TRY with this show concept. I mean...Paris? Really? Crown does Hell from Dante's Inferno, BD does the infinite possibilities of writing, Cadets do...how many championships they've won, and the best they can come up with is PARIS.

I feel bad for those kids, because you know they're workin their tails off. I'm not saying fire the staff, because I'm going to assume they're a lil better at corps management than I (just a little), but I will criticize them.

Hahaha!!!

Totally agree with your statement. This show just doesn't have the heart that Regiment shows are known for. It's like it was designed without one.

So how many of you are at the Atlanta show?

No need to 'feel sorry' for these kids! 1) Those I have talked to in person and from what I hear on the road, they are enjoying performing this show! 2) They CHOSE to march with the Regiment for many reasons. Everyone that has marched PR gets it. Tradition, CLASS, character, integrity, etc. Who would not be proud to march with the Phantom Regiment? Have YOU marched in a DCI winning corps? SUTA!

Edited by fatbrassboy
  • Like 4

No need to 'feel sorry' for these kids! 1) Those I have talked to in person and from what I hear on the road, they are enjoying performing this show! 2) They CHOSE to march with the Regiment for many reasons. Everyone that has marched PR gets it. Tradition, CLASS, character, integrity, etc. Who would not be proud to march with the Phantom Regiment?

I definitely would've auditioned and marched Regiment this summer or next summer(assuming I got in) if my parents would let me.

• Like 1

I definitely would've auditioned and marched Regiment this summer or next summer(assuming I got in) if my parents would let me.

EXACTLY.