Phailing Phantom-- How Phar Will They Phall?

You are not the only one who wants to see them competitively at the top...I'm not sure where you are going with the idea that shows at the top are not entertaining...I was at Championships in 2008 to see first hand one of the most entertaining shows in decades WIN the Championship...It is possible to be a champion AND entertain as well...

You made that assumption, I didn't say anything of that sort. The main point of my post is that I value entertainment more than placement. Never said it's only one or the other, just a hierarchy of my preferences.

You are not the only one who wants to see them competitively at the top...I'm not sure where you are going with the idea that shows at the top are not entertaining...I was at Championships in 2008 to see first hand one of the most entertaining shows in decades WIN the Championship...It is possible to be a champion AND entertain as well...

I think the struggle is more with this team trying to find a way to be entertaining AND competitive in modern DCI. If we're being honest, shows today are not what they were even back in '08. I look at what's going on on the field, and I am absolutely amazed at the level of detail that goes into every facet of every second of a show. It seems like this design team is struggling with how to keep the Regiment identity while moving towards this new style of highly detailed concept-driven shows. We once again have a lot of new members on the team this year, so it's not surprising that not everything is gelling. You can see, though, that they are trying a lot of new things, and are trying to break out of the rut they got into over the past few years. Unlike many on here, I have high hopes for the future, and see good things ahead.

• Like 6

For what its worth I saw PR's show for the first time in Atlanta this weekend. Based on this thread I was expecting a bland to bad show. But it was actually one of my favorite of the night from a musical standpoint. And based on the great ovation they received most people in attendance really liked it. My biggest gripe with today's drum corps fans, at least those on DCP, is the expectation that every show must have complex, multi-faceted meanings that are way above the average viewers understanding.

Honestly, Regiment was the originator of the themed shows with the first Spartacus in 1981! They handed out librettos so the audience would know the story.

So are you good with an 8th or 9th place finish? Just wondering.

I am, because I know they won't stay there forever. And, in a performer's eyes, placement isn't everything. They do it because they love doing it! I could not tell you now what we placed in the three years I marched...and I really don't care!

• Like 1

I think the struggle is more with this team trying to find a way to be entertaining AND competitive in modern DCI. If we're being honest, shows today are not what they were even back in '08. I look at what's going on on the field, and I am absolutely amazed at the level of detail that goes into every facet of every second of a show. It seems like this design team is struggling with how to keep the Regiment identity while moving towards this new style of highly detailed concept-driven shows. We once again have a lot of new members on the team this year, so it's not surprising that not everything is gelling. You can see, though, that they are trying a lot of new things, and are trying to break out of the rut they got into over the past few years. Unlike many on here, I have high hopes for the future, and see good things ahead.

well said

Two points I definitely agree with. They are struggling mightily the last couple of years trying to sculpt an updated version of Regiment that encompasses their identity and ability to compete. The second point is probably the greater issues. Since 2010, how many designers have come and gone for various reasons (other opportunities, fed up, fired, etc.)? How well can they create identity and compete if someone's out the door every year?

• Like 1

Two points I definitely agree with. They are struggling mightily the last couple of years trying to sculpt an updated version of Regiment that encompasses their identity and ability to compete. The second point is probably the greater issues. Since 2010, how many designers have come and gone for various reasons (other opportunities, fed up, fired, etc.)? How well can they create identity and compete if someone's out the door every year?

Seems to me like they've kept their identity very well. Those at the helm know how to keep Regiment 'the Regiment'.

So........ getting back to the OP's question, ie how far will Phantom Regiment fall in 2015 ? :

Perhaps 1 placement spot... 'worse case, 2 spots.

Oh, the horror.

• Like 6

So........ getting back to the OP's question, ie how far will Phantom Regiment fall in 2015 ? :

Oh, the horror.

Exactly. Not sure it required a separate thread, lol.

Oh, the horror.

Depends on what you consider to be the starting point. If 2014 is your gold standard, then yes, I'd say one spot.

However, I personally don't consider 2014 to be a benchmark.

But again, I'm not worried about placement (aside from a longer term recruiting and resources perspective). From a design perspective, the 2015 edition of the Phantom Regiment is far removed from even the 2012 edition. If the most recent medal winner is the standard, methinks they've fallen mightily.

• Like 1