What should the "Big, Loud & Live" announcers talk about?

I would like to see some of the old historical footage from these corps. There was a great story done about when BAC first made it back into finals in the late 1990s. It would be nice to see where they came from. Show a clip from Crown doing Stormworks, or Colts doing Magnificat, Spirt playing Georgia... etc... or... wait a second BD doing When a Man Loves a Woman! What about BCoats playing Autumn Leaves in 1987. Madison playing Slaughter on 10th in 75.

Show some of the evolution of the activity and the people involved. Show the corps in those way old days (70s and before), transitional period (80s/90s), and even something from people who've been active in each of those generations. Talk about color guard as they've changed how they're utilized, what changing from 2 valve bugles, to 3 valve to Bb did. And what it did for the activity. How percussion sections have evolved in writing and how the writers have changed the ideas of staging and design concepts.

Show how elex have changed in the short time we've had them.

This activity has come a very long way in not many years. And some still fight the evolution of it, why not show some comparison/contrast of it? You'll give the old farts their flashbacks with the (back when drum corps was drum corps malarky) footage, and educate the newbs on this activity beyond what they've seen in the last couple of seasons.

There were some great performances in those old years, why not show them off? And make them relevant using that footage?

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

Troopers

Mention: Carolina Crown 2007

Yes, by all means, and while we're mentioning it, let's also mention that the music in the judged portions of the 2007 Crown and 2015 Troopers shows have exactly zero in common. Other than that, it's a clone show.

/rant

On a less ranty note, I suggest that the cameras give us a close-up of the Bluecoats horns at the moment they are playing into the backfield microphones to create the electronic samples that then are bounced around the speakers scattered across the field. Show us how they're producing that segment of music. Even better would be an animated graphic that demonstrates how it's done.

OK, some further good ideas there. Let's get some more going. Any thoughts on, for instance, what must be said about or shown from SCV? Or BK? Or Madison?

Here's a question: on DCI's website, there's a clip of time lapse video from San Antonio. Some of it is shot from behind one of the end zones. In the footage of Blue Knights, that means you see the back of the mirrors. Should the cinema screening show BK from that angle, or does it ruin the effect they're going for?

I hope people will be thinking about this as they watch Saturday's webcast from Atlanta. See something you'd hate to see a wider public miss on Aug. 6? Mention it!

Yes, by all means, and while we're mentioning it, let's also mention that the music in the judged portions of the 2007 Crown and 2015 Troopers shows have exactly zero in common. Other than that, it's a clone show.

/rant

On a less ranty note, I suggest that the cameras give us a close-up of the Bluecoats horns at the moment they are playing into the backfield microphones to create the electronic samples that then are bounced around the speakers scattered across the field. Show us how they're producing that segment of music. Even better would be an animated graphic that demonstrates how it's done.

To be fair, I was mostly noting the Crown comparison to exemplify that corps can come at a similar concept from multiple different angles, even when partially using similar music (outside the judged portions of Troop's show, to be fair). They're two entirely different takes on the concept of horses, both quite excellent and both well-liked by fans; a comparison/contrast, I think, would help exemplify the breadth within drum corps.

Fair enough, though there are plenty of other opportunities to do something similar.

Clowns and juggling? Blue Stars 2015/Bridgemen 1980-81

Airplanes? Crossmen 2015/Blue Devils B 2008

Kings and Conquest? BAC 2015/Madison Scouts 2002

H_ell? Crown 2015/Velvet Knights 2008

Paris? Phantom Regiment 2015/Kiwanis Kavaliers 1998

Outer space? Cascades 2015/Cavaliers 1995

West Side Story? Every corps ever, at one time or another

• Like 1

That segment with the female rock star and Jersey Surf is a total winner, DCI needs to come up with something similar using a handsome, stud, well-known, athletic male that recognizes all the training, discipline, demand, talent that is required to present a 'world's best.'

Sorry, Pee-Wee Herman.

NFL Super Bowl Champion and MVP, Steve Young?

Edited by soccerguy315

Fair enough, though there are plenty of other opportunities to do something similar.

Clowns and juggling? Blue Stars 2015/Bridgemen 1980-81

I actually had already suggested in the list that it might be appropriate to note Bridgemen's circus-themed work when introducing Blue Stars. I'll consider some of your other suggestions for the list, although I wonder about, e.g., VK '08 and the Kiwanis Kavaliers, and whether it makes the most sense to stick to the more successful predecessors. (Not that I anticipate DCI will go to any of this trouble, mind you.)

Here's a suggestion based on just watching a few minutes of the Murfreesboro show: how about no ten-second close-up shots of soloists?

Also from Murfreesboro: How about a nice wide shot in Carolina Crown's show when the gold banner covers the Corps and then reveals the crown. In Murfreesboro, you cut to the guard (yes, interesting shot), but completely missed the crown.