Attendance SHAZZAM!

The scores are verifiably lower than last year... for whatever reason. That much at least is indisputable. But its just speculation alone that someone has told the judges to slot the scores tighter to create closer competition. Then again, perhaps Garfield has anonymous sources that are telling him this... who knows. But thats why I asked him what his sources are for someone telling the judges how they are to score this season.

How about the option that the corps ARE closer together and it has nothing to do with some mysterious presence manipulating the scores?

• Like 5

I have been attending the Atlanta Regional since it started in the mid-2000s and it has always been fun to see how many tickets are sold. It was great to hear yet another record was broken and I hope we can hit the 20,000 mark soon! This year the crowd was definitely into the shows, though it annoys me when people don't at least stand up at the end of a show (all shows) to recognize the performers for what they do. As a poster earlier mentioned, the CSC Guard posted at the tunnel entrance at our section also was really into the shows. I could tell he was very surprised with the level of entertainment he was witnessing. Made me wonder what he may have mentioned to family or friends later.

I do wonder what the plans are for 2017 and beyond when the Georgia Dome is no longer in existence. As I mentioned in the Southeast Regional Thread on here, DCI is not considered one of the legacy events of the Georgia Dome and therefore the management of the new stadium being built, to be managed by the Atlanta Falcons, has no obligation to host upcoming DCI events as they do for the legacy events (Supercross, Monster Jam, Chick-fil-A Bowl, etc...). I'm not even sure if the Bands of America event is a legacy event either. I sure hope the event continues at the new stadium but since they will host the new major league soccer team, there may be scheduling conflicts with this.

If Arthur's new palace isn't willing to continue to host the event, I'd like to see it go to Bobby Dodd or maybe even see if they could do it at Sanford Stadium in Athens. Both stadiums could easily host 18,000+, though Bobby Dodd may be a little tight in trying to fit everyone one side. Sanford would be a little easier in that aspect, especially with a 92,000 capacity. Bobby Dodd would still be convenient for MARTA, though, and that's a huge draw for people. Hopefully, it'll move a few feet over to the new stadium and we won't need to worry about a new venue to host it. Interesting possibilities though.

This sure is new news to me. I had not heard that " judges are being asked to slot scores tighter to create closer competition ". Who is allegedly telling the judges how to score ? And... secondly, whats your source for this ?

You know that moment when you're out on the boat on a quiet pond in the morning, when the bobber starts to wiggle and your heart races, then WHAM! the bobber goes down and you set the hook?

:tounge2:

• Like 1

Lower gas prices likely help, and the lack of media is probably helping, too.

But I'm going to push back a little on those who claim an "improving economy" is a benefit.

Without getting all geeky-statistic on everyone, IMO the very marginal improvement in personal economic circumstances doesn't explain the rather sizable increases in reported attendance.

To the notion of DCI's "outreach" to schools, maybe this is true in the music/school media spending that DCI does, but I can tell you that neither the host school of our show, nor my son's school in a neighboring community (where's he's the DCI "Ambassador") has received anything from DCI as "outreach". It would seem that show-host schools would be low-hanging fruit, but Dublin music programs didn't hear a peep from DCI.

I, personally, think the answer lies somewhere in corps doing a better job of entertaining and DCI judges being asked to slot scores tighter to create closer competition.

I don't think the judges are doing anything with the numbers to create drama.

good old fashioned grass roots recruiting IMO is a not yet discussed. Kids telling kids. I think recent age outs are getting more involved. show selection helps.

I'm in finance...there is more to the economy than just the stock market. The average working Joe or Jill isn't seeing the benefits of that...if anything in other areas they are paying for it.

I think it's many things rolled together in one, and everyone should keep doing what they are doing

• Like 3

The judges almost certainly are being told to keep scores within a certain range. Whether that necessarily leads to tighter score, I don't know, but without a doubt they've been holding scores down compared at least to last year. For instance, there seems to be universal agreement that Pioneer has a much better show this year than they've had in some time, but compare the corps' five previous scores at Atlanta:

2010 -- 71.70

2011 -- 68.55

2012 -- 66.30

2013 -- 68.85

2014 -- 67.65

To what they earned this year:

2015 -- 64.50

Better corps, lower score? Cesario & co. appear to have dropped the floor.

or....less inflation? scoring from year to year can't be used as a benchmark. Sure Pio has a better show....is it truly performed better?

I don't think the judges are doing anything with the numbers to create drama.

good old fashioned grass roots recruiting IMO is a not yet discussed. Kids telling kids. I think recent age outs are getting more involved. show selection helps.

I'm in finance...there is more to the economy than just the stock market. The average working Joe or Jill isn't seeing the benefits of that...if anything in other areas they are paying for it.

I think it's many things rolled together in one, and everyone should keep doing what they are doing

Eh! What? Where are my gloves, I want to smack you back. Bankers - Beh!

We agree on the "average Joe", but, so, what's everybody doing that they should keep doing?

No more video, ever, to force people to shows? Delayed video?

I just don't think the economy has much to do with it at the moment.

Maybe consumers are spending some gas savings on ticket prices, but that's a gut-level decision not usually an economic one.

How about the option that the corps ARE closer together and it has nothing to do with some mysterious presence manipulating the scores?

Thats been my sense all along, barigirl78

Edited by BRASSO

Eh! What? Where are my gloves, I want to smack you back. Bankers - Beh!

We agree on the "average Joe", but, so, what's everybody doing that they should keep doing?

No more video, ever, to force people to shows? Delayed video?

I just don't think the economy has much to do with it at the moment.

Maybe consumers are spending some gas savings on ticket prices, but that's a gut-level decision not usually an economic one.

word of mouth. social media. whatever everyone is doing that's driving attendance...just keep going. do it. I do think the fan network has issue has in some cases get fans to shows they wouldn't have gone to otherwise. gas savings is probably offset by toll increases, food, lodging etc...I mean i'm predicting Allentown has the best numbers in years this year, but seeing hotel prices going up a lot since last year, who is saving?

and...despite some naysayers...I think drum corps is just starting to get cool again

• Like 3

You know that moment when you're out on the boat on a quiet pond in the morning, when the bobber starts to wiggle and your heart races, then WHAM! the bobber goes down and you set the hook?

Huh ?..., I was seeking clarification on your comment above that one of the reasons there has been an increase in attendance was that ( your direct words ) " judges are being asked to slot scores tighter to create closer competition". I had not heard of this, and simply asked who is asking the judges to slot the scores... and what your source is. Its a simple question. Or did you just misspeak on this ?

Huh ?..., I was seeking clarification on your comment above that one of the reasons there has been an increase in attendance was that ( your direct words ) " judges are being asked to slot scores tighter to create closer competition". I had not heard of this, and simply asked who is asking the judges to slot the scores... and what your source is. Its a simple question. Or did you just misspeak on this ?

Lol. Funny.

Not to worry Brasso, old friend. My joke was about you so I'm not surprised you didn't get it. But it was a friendly poke.

This is the point where you demand reference and, as I begin to engage you, you twist and turn my words into something that they aren't and we enter that strange banter world that seems to follow you and, pretty soon, I'm trying to defend not saying something that's completely different that I actually said.

Ah, the world of Brasso.

On another issue I might "take the bait" (get it?) but this one isn't important enough to me. Suffice it to say that "slotting", as we describe it here, might not actually be how the term is used inside DCI or Cesario's office. Did I speak with them, in the room, when the subject is discussed? No, I didn't. Do I trust my sources who were in the room? Yes. Yes, I do.

It's not nefarious. It's actually slotting for the greater good of selling seats. Or maybe a form of slotting, if you prefer.

Our constant source of statistical data, N.E. Brigand, provided excellent evidence that the competition is tighter, less assured, less "pre-ordained".

In a completely subjectively-judged activity that makes its own rules, how do you create a competition among the participants that is heated enough to attract a crowd? Hmmm?

Edited by garfield