Attendance SHAZZAM!

OK I work with computer security but.... little scary that gender and age range can be pulled from a visit to a website......

And almost half the visitors are 45-54.... not quite DCIs target audience.... :tounge2:

That is one reason I found this quite interesting...yet when you think about it....this group has probably the most disposable income...not a bad thing.

• Like 1

OK I work with computer security but.... little scary that gender and age range can be pulled from a visit to a website......

And almost half the visitors are 45-54.... not quite DCIs target audience.... :tounge2:

Could also be teens using their parents' computers? I don't know much about data collection, though.

To be transparent, Comscore is like a "Nielsen". It uses a sample of people that have identified their demographics and installed software in their computers to monitor where they are visiting. It's an estimate, not a census. In the winter months, the site didn't even meet their reportable minimums. But, August did show its peak last year with 135K uniques.

I know you are joking about the target audience, but 45-54 would include two key groups--80's alumni and current parents and teachers. I would call that a key group to target for ticket sales. Also, more disposable income.

• Like 2

Well I don't see a problem people moving around during an encore....that is just me I guess...

Yeah, but trying to squeeze by the DM when she is getting ready to conduct is a bit thoughtless and rude, don't you think?

• Like 1

Could also be teens using their parents' computers? I don't know much about data collection, though.

6.5% were age 13-17. Don't most kids have their own computers in the 21st Century?

To be transparent, Comscore is like a "Nielsen". It uses a sample of people that have identified their demographics and installed software in their computers to monitor where they are visiting. It's an estimate, not a census. In the winter months, the site didn't even meet their reportable minimums. But, August did show its peak last year with 135K uniques.

I know you are joking about the target audience, but 45-54 would include two key groups--80's alumni and current parents and teachers. I would call that a key group to target for ticket sales. Also, more disposable income.

bingo!

OK that explains a lot. I don't work on the Windows/PC side of the IT world so had no idea how this info could have been pulled just by a visit to a website. If someone had used a credit card then guess that could be used from somewhere but that wasn't the case. And to be transparent myself I'm a eunuch... oops I mean I work with Unix (old Dilbert joke). :silly:

As for the 45-54 age range I was kind of kidding. Just remember about 10 years back when DCI seemed to be scrambling for people to fill holes and be the new "legacy" audience. Wonder what the demographics of Comscore is like. IOW is it heavy in the 45-54 age group which could throw things. But I can see parents of potential newbies or youngsters wanting to see a show webbing away to see what their kids are talking about. Especially if they hear how much things would cost (unfortunately not kidding).....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Let me explain how some of this works...

When someone visits a website that has partnered with the Google Display Network, Google stores a number in their browsers (using a "cookie") to remember their visits. This number uniquely identifies a web browser on a specific computer, not a specific person. Browsers may be associated with a demographic category, such as gender, age range, or parental status, based on the sites that were visited.

6.5% were age 13-17. Don't most kids have their own computers in the 21st Century?

Probably. That still seems quite low, though. I wonder if that can be attributed to the younger generation getting most of their news from corps social media pages and /r/drumcorps?

OK that explains a lot. I don't work on the Windows/PC side of the IT world so had no idea how this info could have been pulled just by a visit to a website. If someone had used a credit card then guess that could be used from somewhere but that wasn't the case.

As for the 45-54 age range I was kind of kidding. Just remember about 10 years back when DCI seemed to be scrambling for people to fill holes and be the new "legacy" audience. Wonder what the demographics of Comscore is like. IOW is it heavy in the 45-54 age group which could throw things. But I can see parents of potential newbies or youngsters wanting to see a show webbing away to see what their kids are talking about. Especially if they hear how much things would cost (unfortunately not kidding).....

Nah, the report shows that 15.6% of the total internet audience was 45-54, while dci.org is 47%.

If you want to know more about Comscore: http://www.comscore.com/

• Like 1