Carolina Crown 2016

Ok Cappy I'll play. Heeeeeere we go:

Let's start off with with your analysis of the show structures.

What are these uncanny similarities?

Please show your work. Just a simple outline for 2009, 2010, 2015 will do.

BTW did you even *see* Crown 2010 live? That show was dominating the first part of the season. Then the battery starting losing members. And judges stopped crediting intent and nailed them for execution. There were parts of that show the brass never could get clean (and hosing didn't help). There were visual responsibilities that made accurate attacks and releases impossible. (I'll never forget -- boxingfred was on tour with Cadets and he'd come back to DCP and report the same d##n errors happening every show. I was so mad at him for doing that ).

Essentially the design team over-wrote and the battery disintegrated. The show designs weren't the same in 2009-10. But there *was* a story arc that connected the two designs. Was Crown anxious to get a win after tasting 2nd place? HECK YEAH! But they didn't design a show in response to their placement. 2009 was a fairy tale season for Crown -- I'll never forget a phone call from the kid telling me "Dad -- the WHOLE STAFF is crying their eyes out." me: "Why? What happened?" her:"I guess this is the first time Crown ever beat the Cavaliers".

I think now Crown tries to design shows to win every season. So that half of your assertion is true.

But trying to write a show in response to a 2nd place finish when they think they deserved first? Not really.

I think Crown's designers every year "reach" in some aspect. Sometimes those reaches work -- sometimes they don't. That willingness to "hang it all out there" is probably why I liked Crown in the first place.

Heck 2016 might have some visual idea (trampolines) that just never lives up to it's potential.

But having heard most of the music book -- they are in as good a place pre-season as they've ever been. Face value that repertoire is kind of disjointed. But the arrangements and consistent "feel" they all project -- it's just really cool.

So let me honk in peace!

Honk honk. I think one of the reasons Crown is my second favorite (Cadets homer) is that they do stretch with their design and don't play it safe. I visualize this show as a combo of power, emotion, humor and some artistic expression that's leaves one pondering a bit. I think that's certainly a recipe for success or at least intrigue. I hope the uniforms have a western nod to T hem without going overboard. Should be another season fav of mine. I'm hoping Cadets also take a more artistic approach this season and aren't so blatant with their theme. Talent is nuts there. Don't want it wasted. Wishing Cadets and Crown safe move ins today! Love both of you.. Edited by Tobias

Who cares! Those of us who know are super excited over a great show concept, the best music ever on a drum corps field, an incredible brass line, the best battery Crown has ever had, an award winning staff, perennial winning brass, and a corps that has tasted the championship. Not many can say that.

Go Crown. 2016 will be your year!

How can Crown have a "perennial winning brass" when they haven't won high brass the past 2 years? Don't get me wrong, not hating, but that sentence makes no sense.

• Like 1

How can Crown have a "perennial winning brass" when they haven't won high brass the past 2 years? Don't get me wrong, not hating, but that sentence makes no sense.

I think there's pretty good agreement that judging is very VERY subjective at this point. Crownbrass is never anything less than impressive and outstanding and in any given season, wins brass many times so always in the running. Yes, they didn't win the OTT award last year but were in the running. A very consistent caption for them. Edited by Tobias

Who cares! Those of us who know are super excited over a great show concept, the best music ever on a drum corps field, an incredible brass line, the best battery Crown has ever had, an award winning staff, perennial winning brass, and a corps that has tasted the championship. Not many can say that.

Go Crown. 2016 will be your year!

I appreciate the enthusiasm. Let's see how it plays out.

My "kitchen sink" reference was only in respect to the long repertoire list.

Mash ups sort of went out when Glee! went off the air. JMO

• Like 1

I appreciate the enthusiasm. Let's see how it plays out.

My "kitchen sink" reference was only in respect to the long repertoire list.

Mash ups sort of went out when Glee! went off the air. JMO

BDs rep lists are nothing short of pretty extravagantly long every year, I think they had like 12 or 13 listed in 2012.

BDs rep lists are nothing short of pretty extravagantly long every year, I think they had like 12 or 13 listed in 2012.

Don't disagree.

The coolest thing about Crown 2009-2010 arc was when the ending of 2009 was secretly reintroduced a week before finals in 2010. Caught me totally off guard at the first show where they had it in (West Chester). Shivers.

See I thought that was brilliant and the armchair designers on here rolled their eyes and felt that was a lame attempt to inject 2009 success into a 2010 show that was not winning accolades from the hiding community. 2010 was one of my favorite Crown shows. (Please don't hit me).

2009 Crown show was a masterpiece. 2010 was a very good drum corps with a show with some design issues. The "redo" ending was universally panned at the time. It was so out of place. I still enjoy both shows though, 2010 certainly had some great moments.

See I thought that was brilliant and the armchair designers on here rolled their eyes and felt that was a lame attempt to inject 2009 success into a 2010 show that was not winning accolades from the hiding community. 2010 was one of my favorite Crown shows. (Please don't hit me).

I really liked Crown's 2010 show as well. I've really liked their shows since 2005. That's when I noticed a huge difference in their brass sound. Been hooked ever since.

Edited by sched88

Again, I remember the pre-season hype over Crown and Cadets last year - I was among 'em thinking they were #1 & #2 - DEFINITELY, without ANY QUESTION (either order, didn't matter), these two were the BOMB and were going to be atop the standings...

Then I went to Pasadena and saw Blue Devils. My only comment was "Nothing beats that."

I'm a Crown and (usually) Cadets homer, but there endeth the lesson.

Edited by garfield