Carolina Crown 2016

Let me remind all of you that are having trouble getting into the show that it's only June... They will polish and add over the coming weeks, and there will be rewrites and most likely a new ending. Let's see what we've got come San Antonio. What rules E put on the field so far is pretty dang tasty. And seeing it in person tonight give much more perspective than seeing it on video. A couple of thoughts:

- The hornline still doesn't have that punch on the loud notes - though they're already pretty powerful. Give Matt a few more weeks to work his magic. This is an experienced line that is pacing itself.

- There are some noticeable phasing issues between the drums and horns, especially when both are on opposite sides of the field. This will get better over time.

- Hearing from some of the staff that there are many more additions coming. The show is no where near done.

Edited by Newseditor44

Let me remind all of you that are having trouble getting into the show that it's only June... They will polish and add over the coming weeks, and there will be rewrites and most likely a new ending. Let's see what we've got come San Antonio.

Exactly right. The frame is structurally sound. The arrangements work. The choreography works. And things are properly staged.

IOW There are no "trampolines" to figure out.

This.

Is a very good thing.

And,

They're leaving ST with the show (including all the guard work) done.

This is also.

A very good thing.

• Like 1

Let me remind all of you that are having trouble getting into the show that it's only June... They will polish and add over the coming weeks, and there will be rewrites and most likely a new ending. Let's see what we've got come San Antonio. What rules E put on the field so far is pretty dang tasty. And seeing it in person tonight give much more perspective than seeing it on video. A couple of thoughts:

- The hornline still doesn't have that punch on the loud notes - though they're already pretty powerful. Give Matt a few more weeks to work his magic. This is an experienced line that is pacing itself.

- There are some noticeable phasing issues between the drums and horns, especially when both are on opposite sides of the field. This will get better over time.

- Hearing from some of the staff that there are many more additions coming. The show is no where near done.

I haven't been "wowed" by a crown show since 13'. Maybe they're just not of my interest as of recently. Cool show idea but there was definitely too much body movement vs marching visual.

• Like 1

This is definitely true. My only concern would be that last year I felt like Crown definitely needed to develop the show more by finals night, especially visually, and they really didn't end up doing much aside from the ending. Hopefully they don't repeat that.

This year I think the story going to be even more difficult to portray than last year. Last year the story would have made sense if they had just played angry music then happy music. A murder story definitely needs a lot more visual development.

I have no doubt that they will be able to pull it off. I just hope they actually DO it.

We stopped marching in this activity years ago. It's all about the body movement and dance now.

I haven't been "wowed" by a crown show since 13'. Maybe they're just not of my interest as of recently. Cool show idea but there was definitely too much body movement vs marching visual.

Just one tiny complaint....

At the very beginning of the show, there is a MIDI snipped of a horse? A bird? A weasel??? It sounded a bit cheezy.

loved it.. they sound amazing for June, phasing and dirt is part of the process. lots of things that could be said, but I'm just gonna be supportive! again.. loved it! wanted a LOT more Hallelujah... and HELL YES MEDEA!! :)

• Like 1

Crown learning more of that dancey dance with Michael Rosales !

LCSgsqD.jpg

Interesting. He spent a good chunk of time at Blue Knights with their show designer. Almost a week I wanna say. Smart guy, really knows his stuff.

I watched it. I loved it. But gosh dang did it give me major flashbacks to my final show as a marching member.

I never thought I would see another steampunk theme after "This Was The Future." One of the lessons we learned that year was that Steampunk is not a genre that is super widely known. As has been well documented, our show that was supposed to be about a steampunk world's fair turned into a show about a train and a circus by the end of the season. I certainly hope the obscure culture references work out a lot better for them than it did for us.

But 2012 Troop references aside, can I just say that Medea is giving me chills already? And that trombone solo = gold. Amazing job already by that soloist.

Also very obvious that this is a false ending like last year, given that there is no crown set in the drill. Interested to see where they take it this year!

Edited by TroopAlum12
  • Like 1