If the Top 6 were equivalent in performance/execution/talent...

Horn Teacher, thanks for expanding on my post. As a big baseball fan, I do notice different umpires have different strike zones. Some will call a low strike, some will call a high strike, some have a zone a little more oblong. BUT - an umpire is trained from the beginning to establish a strikezone "base" - as in, establish quickly in the game where the low strike is. And let that point be your base. And he/she will mostly maintain that low baseline for both teams.

So yeah, the umpire has a set of criteria, but each umpire is slightly different.

Each judge is a little different. I don't think that a judge will intentionally bias one corps over another, like some would claim. I think it just has more to do with human imperfection.

And as far as cowntown, I don't think DCI is "pushing" anything in particular. Please take note that Crown DID win General Effect this past weekend, albeit slightly.

As far as visual goes, a judge knows what is difficult and what is not. And to be honest, the Blue Devils are dam* good at cleaning their visual.

Would one say that DCI was pushing the Cavaliers' style shows 10-15 years ago, when they won 5 golds and 2 silver in a 7 year span? which is what the Blue Devils just did? (Add another gold and another silver to make it a 9 year span.)

The Blue Devils won't win championships like this forever. Someone else is going to start winning. Excellence breeds competition, and the higher the success, the better the competition will get. This is what happens in a free society. They will get knocked off their perch, it's inevitable. One of these other drum corps' staff will develop a better winning formula.

Horn Teacher, thanks for expanding on my post. As a big baseball fan, I do notice different umpires have different strike zones. Some will call a low strike, some will call a high strike, some have a zone a little more oblong. BUT - an umpire is trained from the beginning to establish a strikezone "base" - as in, establish quickly in the game where the low strike is. And let that point be your base. And he/she will mostly maintain that low baseline for both teams.

So yeah, the umpire has a set of criteria, but each umpire is slightly different.

Each judge is a little different. I don't think that a judge will intentionally bias one corps over another, like some would claim. I think it just has more to do with human imperfection.

And as far as cowntown, I don't think DCI is "pushing" anything in particular. Please take note that Crown DID win General Effect this past weekend, albeit slightly.

As far as visual goes, a judge knows what is difficult and what is not. And to be honest, the Blue Devils are dam* good at cleaning their visual.

Would one say that DCI was pushing the Cavaliers' style shows 10-15 years ago, when they won 5 golds and 2 silver in a 7 year span? which is what the Blue Devils just did? (Add another gold and another silver to make it a 9 year span.)

The Blue Devils won't win championships like this forever. Someone else is going to start winning. Excellence breeds competition, and the higher the success, the better the competition will get. This is what happens in a free society. They will get knocked off their perch, it's inevitable. One of these other drum corps' staff will develop a better winning formula.

I hope soon..

My uncles best friend said this same thing back in 1986. Here we are 29 years and 11 added titles later still waiting on the fallout............

If there is parity in the talent level among the top groups than it really does come down to the motivation of the membership, design, and effective communication of that design. In reality this is no different that top sports leagues. There is a ton of parity these days but so many times comes down to personality (ego) management and successful execution of a well design play book....in other words coaching.

Been following for over a decade now but still have trouble understanding the intricacies of design and stuff.

The Top 6 were just so amazeballz this year that I would have enjoyed a championship for ANY of them (but moreso for SCV cuz I'm a homer like that lol).

Anyway, on to the questions:

If the Top 6 were equivalent in performance, execution, and/or talent, how would the shows have placed? Like if they all scored 10s across the board on execution, would the design pretty much separate the champion from the rest? And if so, how would you have placed each corps in terms of design and why?

Please define Amazeballs.

Edited by SFZFAN

Please define Amazeballs.

I will!

a·maze·balls

əˈmāzbôlz/

adjectiveinformal

extremely good or impressive; amazing.

"the atmosphere was nothing special but the food was amazeballs"

• Like 1