Why are there so many less DCP DCA fans posting since 2012"ish&#34

You also have to consider that 25% of the corps from the 2012 and 2013 season have folded, gone inactive, or stayed in their home countries that means less organizations are involved and less fans in some cases. We're talking about 500-600 performers not including staff and families or fans who are no longer involved.

This is what was lost since the 12/13 season:

Class A

Shenandoah Sound

High Country Brass

Centurions

Sun Devils

Tampa Day Thunder

Heartliner

Open Class

Windsor Regiment

Empire Statesmen

Renegades

that fact that 9 corps equals 25% stinks.

• Like 1

You also have to consider that 25% of the corps from the 2012 and 2013 season have folded, gone inactive, or stayed in their home countries that means less organizations are involved and less fans in some cases. We're talking about 500-600 performers not including staff and families or fans who are no longer involved.

This is what was lost since the 12/13 season:

Class A

Shenandoah Sound

High Country Brass

Centurions

Sun Devils

Tampa Day Thunder

Heartliner

Open Class

Windsor Regiment

Empire Statesmen

Renegades

You're mostly right, but not completely.

Several corps have gained members and staff, showing growth as a result of the few corps that folded, particularly in the case of Statesmen and Windsor. Additionally, were the out-of-area corps really huge fan draws? I think you can absolutely make a case for Renegades, but not necessarily the others.

You're mostly right, but not completely.

Several corps have gained members and staff, showing growth as a result of the few corps that folded, particularly in the case of Statesmen and Windsor. Additionally, were the out-of-area corps really huge fan draws? I think you can absolutely make a case for Renegades, but not necessarily the others.

I don't disagree with you from a fan standpoint but from an interest standpoint consider the amount of parents or alumni that may have been served that are not engaged anymore. Plenty of parents join DCP and post messages or experiences from time to time.

White Sabers have grown. Skyliners returned. Alliance returned. Chops and Thunderbirds are back so it's growing but still hasn't hit that 23/24 corps number from the 2012/2013 season which includes personnel. In the wake of Tampa Bay Thunder, Sun Devils, and Shenadoah Sound multiple DCI SoundSport and Open Class Corps have formed and competed which is a loss to DCA in total participants and fans. With High Country Brass folding we lost a regional program (that thankfully is paying it forward with their dissolution), and Heartliner folding their corps for marching percussion that's another International participant that's taking time away. So while I agree on the draw for fans, I ponder the impact of the loss of these regional and international DCA partners and more members moving to DCI for SoundSport over DCA which I believe is just as an important of an option for performing for young and old.

I don't disagree with you from a fan standpoint but from an interest standpoint consider the amount of parents or alumni that may have been served that are not engaged anymore. Plenty of parents join DCP and post messages or experiences from time to time.

White Sabers have grown. Skyliners returned. Alliance returned. Chops and Thunderbirds are back so it's growing but still hasn't hit that 23/24 corps number from the 2012/2013 season which includes personnel. In the wake of Tampa Bay Thunder, Sun Devils, and Shenadoah Sound multiple DCI SoundSport and Open Class Corps have formed and competed which is a loss to DCA in total participants and fans. With High Country Brass folding we lost a regional program (that thankfully is paying it forward with their dissolution), and Heartliner folding their corps for marching percussion that's another International participant that's taking time away. So while I agree on the draw for fans, I ponder the impact of the loss of these regional and international DCA partners and more members moving to DCI for SoundSport over DCA which I believe is just as an important of an option for performing for young and old.

why can't DCA partner with Soundsport?

I mean it's all but the mini corps DCA has used for years now, and at least in DCI's case, they found a way to make some money off of it

why can't DCA partner with Soundsport?

I mean it's all but the mini corps DCA has used for years now, and at least in DCI's case, they found a way to make some money off of it

i think it requires DCA to then work with DCI. Or at the least, DCI to allow someone else to take a cut of the money, while doing all the work.

Edited by C.Holland

that fact that 9 corps equals 25% stinks.

In 2006 Gil Silva sat down with all the directors and had a very good presentation that fell on deaf ears. It outlined how the number of shows and the size of shows were going to be decreasing over the next number ??? of years. He was spot on with his assesment to date.

When there are fewer shows, fewer corps in attendance at shows and corps folding and dropping off the map in large numbers.... you can see where the decline in posting has gone. Add to it that many of the posters that were posting here were of the old school mentality and there is not much left in todays DCA to offer to them well there it is.

Ed, kindly fix your post so it doesn't look like I said that, please. I'm unamused.

im not sure I can. I think a bracket got lost in the qoute. I did qoute your words. It does appear like it blended all together though. Sorry about that.

i think it requires DCA to then work with DCI. Or at the least, DCI to allow someone else to take a cut of the money, while doing all the work.

Soundsport seems to be laying some good ground work for corps that are outside the NE area and corps that do not conform to DCA 35 min rule and promoting growth.

I think in time Soundsport can be a division of its own...meaning holding its own shows,, holding its own championships and promting growth within the activity.