Physical Health in Drum Corps and Synthetic Marching Fields...

2 of the several bands i have done did very few football games anymore. When doing a game, the band filled the stadium . As soon as the band did their show the stadium emptied. Felt a little sorry for the football team actually. Naw not really..lol

This was the history of my school band as well. During the 2nd quarter the stadium will slowly fill up. After the bands halftime show, the place was a ghost town. Our football team was not very good.

• Like 1

This was the history of my school band as well. During the 2nd quarter the stadium will slowly fill up. After the bands halftime show, the place was a ghost town. Our football team was not very good.

I guess my high school was an oddity. We had a nationally known championship band from the mid '60's through the early '80's. At the same time, the football team recorded 53 consecutive winning seasons. We had full stands for every game from kickoff through the start of the third quarter. If the score of the game was out of hand (and it often was a 20 or 30 point lead at halftime) everyone would stay to see the band, and then some would start trickling out during the second half. At one point, over 33% of the students were either in the band, on the football team, or were cheerleaders. That was with an enrollment of 1000 kids.

That being said, there is no fear of football disappearing in the south. It's just not going to happen. Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Texas... these states have MASSIVE high school football participation because so much of the small community structure is built around "Friday night lights." Kids may wait longer to start playing, but by middle school, there will be football.

Oh the irony. Those who know the history of college football in this country, ( or decide to read up on it now ) know that the southern states actually banned football on their high school and college campuses with a sport that began in the northeast colleges. For years, the current SEC states disallowed football as a sport at their college . They once told us that football participation at their school " would never happen ".. because they intended to continue to ban it at their schools... forever. They considered the sport of football to be too dangerous. Some participants actually died in the early years of college football games that at the time were exclusively played entirely in the northeast, So as a result, early in the sport, many southern states colleges swore that this new sport of college football would never be allowed to be played at their colleges there in the South ( anyone can look this up, if they are so inclined ). We know now however how that.." its just not going to happen " ( ie, football to be played at colleges in the South ) emphatic proclamation eventually played out. And so.., what irony, huh ?

Fast forward to today, and we hear in some quarters that football will not be banned or severely curtailed. This is heard in some regions of the Country too where we were once told that tobacco would never be banned or curtailed..... or smokers negatively impacted with their continued use of it because of " massive participation " of tobacco in the local economy, and so forth. Those who think that the medical science research that is increasingly showing the long team cognitive impairments caused by concussions in football won't have a possible negative effect on football participation in the South ( or anyplace else ) remind me of the tobacco industry... just like these schools and universities in the current SEC states that once banned football there and told us at one time that football banning on their college campuses would last forever there in the South. But those who know a little about the history of football, tobacco and other things know that when people tell us something " will never happen " because of its current acceptance and popularity in a region oftentimes don't know how attitudes have oftentimes changed in time. We are already receiving data recently that shows that Pop Warner youth football participation rates during the the last 4 consecutive years have fallen nationally. Mothers make these decisions usually. And if Mom from her readings thinks her Son might do damage to his long term memory, cognitive abilities, etc, one would be a bit naive not to read the tea leaves on what this likely means to the sport of football in the coming decades... and yes, even there in the South.

Edited by BRASSO

In full disclosure, my baseball team was soooooooooo bad that we, the players, used to watch the drum corps practicing on the next field during their Spring training. Thus began my love affair with drum corps and the end of my Dad's dream that one day I would play MLB as he once did.

Now back on topic: http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/artificial-turf-debate/senators-call-independent-crumb-rubber-turf-study-n459001

The problem with football today is TV related. What I mean is, kids and even most adults that watch on TV, want to see the "big hit".....the one that knocks one or more players out. And kids that play want to MAKE the big hit. It has led to so many kids not actually tackling, but trying to stick their head in someones chest and knock them down. Well, that leads to head and neck trauma that is fatal more than we all want it to be.

Heads up football was started several years ago by former NFL players that want to teach kids and coaches the proper technique of tackling that reduces head and neck trauma. Merrill Hodge and Crag James are just a few that are supporters of this organization. There are now leagues for young kids (pop warner ages) that specifically teach and play with rules that prohibit leading with the head. I believe, this will only continue to gain support, and football will survive. As such, marching band will too survive.

I played football, baseball and was in concert band back in middle/high school. Hurt my back in football and was told by the doctor that it could be fine, but if I injured it multiple times, I would not only not play football, but also would not play baseball. So, I joined the marching band so I could still go to all the games. Little did I know I would fall in love with the competitive aspect of marching band, get introduced to Drum Corps, and become a life long fan. Just thought I would share.

One baseball team was so bad, a press reporter asked the Manager after another bad loss how does he feel about his players execution now.

The beleagued & frustrated Manager, wiped his brow, paused, thought a moment... then replied to the Media gathered :

" Come to think of it,.... its not such a bad idea. "

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Oh the irony. Those who know the history of college football in this country, ( or decide to read up on it now ) know that the southern states actually banned football on their high school and college campuses with a sport that began in the northeast colleges. For years, the current SEC states disallowed football as a sport at their college . They once told us that football participation at their school " would never happen ".. because they intended to continue to ban it at their schools... forever. They considered the sport of football to be too dangerous. Some participants actually died in the early years of college football games that at the time were exclusively played entirely in the northeast, So as a result, early in the sport, many southern states colleges swore that this new sport of college football would never be allowed to be played at their colleges there in the South ( anyone can look this up, if they are so inclined ). We know now however how that.." its just not going to happen " ( ie, football to be played at colleges in the South ) emphatic proclamation eventually played out. And so.., what irony, huh ?

Fast forward to today, and we hear in some quarters that football will not be banned or severely curtailed. This is heard in some regions of the Country too where we were once told that tobacco would never be banned or curtailed..... or smokers negatively impacted with their continued use of it because of " massive participation " of tobacco in the local economy, and so forth. Those who think that the medical science research that is increasingly showing the long team cognitive impairments caused by concussions in football won't have a possible negative effect on football participation in the South ( or anyplace else ) remind me of the tobacco industry... just like these schools and universities in the current SEC states that once banned football there and told us at one time that football banning on their college campuses would last forever there in the South. But those who know a little about the history of football, tobacco and other things know that when people tell us something " will never happen " because of its current acceptance and popularity in a region oftentimes don't know how attitudes have oftentimes changed in time. We are already receiving data recently that shows that Pop Warner youth football participation rates during the the last 4 consecutive years have fallen nationally. Mothers make these decisions usually. And if Mom from her readings thinks her Son might do damage to his long term memory, cognitive abilities, etc, one would be a bit naive not to read the tea leaves on what this likely means to the sport of football in the coming decades... and yes, even there in the South.

You are talking about ancient history... I'm talking about modern history, since the 1950's.. Up there, football is still a game. Down here, it's as much a religion as where everyone goes on Sunday. Now, I'm not saying it's GOOD that it's this way, just that it is.

By the way, did tobacco disappear? No, I still see people under the age of 30 smoking every day, and they've been told their entire lives how bad it is for them. The same thing applies to football... they're willing to take the risk in order to play the game. Also, don't overestimate the power of "Mom" to decide what sports Junior does or does not play. Usually mom doesn't get to tell dad what his son is or isn't going to play. A lot of moms think their kid will be the one to make it to the NFL and bring home all that money and get them out of poverty. If you've never experienced a football season in a small rural community in the south, then you really don't understand. You don't have a frame of reference to compare. It's all they have and the more you try to convince them to quit, the more determined they are to play.

Also, don't overestimate the power of "Mom" to decide what sports Junior does or does not play.

When our twin sons reached Pop Warner age, "Mom", the RN, said no. But they still had non serious injuries playing, ice hockey, soccer, and baseball.

If you've never experienced a football season in a small rural community in the south, then you really don't understand. You don't have a frame of reference to compare.

Your assumption that I have never been to a football games in the South is a false one. Had you asked me if I have been to football games in the South prior to your posting, I might have been able to disabuse you of your inaccurate preconceived assumption on this. But alas, it was not to be. Oh well, we live and learn.

Edited by BRASSO