DCI Audio/Video

Did anyone else get a DCI Live survey recently?

I got the survey which included a question about whether I planned on buying any DCD's. I'm hoping it means there will be 2015 DVD's, but it may be a long shot, or just reading between the lines on my part.

Interesting. That question was not on the survey I got, which was all about the quality of the DCI Live experience.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

This should go in the DCA forums, but on a slightly related note, DCA has pulled all of their video and audio offerings from their website (at least when I looked today it was that way). Looks like they are in the same boat as DCI, Music for All, and everyone else. And it continues...

not enough $$ in it to truly grab their attention

True; especially when you have corporations paying big money for licensing music for commercials and what not. DCI, BOA, WGI, schools, etc. are minuscule fish in a large ocean and I suspect it's not worth the licensing fees for the organizations to pony up for media sales & the money made in sync rights for media licensing is not enough for rights holders to care about lost revenue. I guess maybe the only hope would be for actual artists to put pressure on rights holders to be more lenient on non-profit groups (or...gasp...to change the laws to be more lenient for licensing groups). However, of curse the almighty dollar rules everything so I don't presume to have this stuff worked out anytime soon.

I do suggest it is wise for anyone who has been wanting to buy any DCI DVDs or Blu-rays to do so sooner than later before those magically come down off the website

I do suggest it is wise for anyone who has been wanting to buy any DCI DVDs or Blu-rays to do so sooner than later before those magically come down off the website

So far, the following are not available on the store any longer, it looks like:

1998 - (Cadets "Stonehenge," Santa Clara Vanguard "Copland: The Modernist," Blue Devils "One Hand, One Heart" etc.)

1996 - (Phantom Regiments "A Defiant Heart," Blue Devils "Club Blue," Cadets "The American West" etc.)

1990 - (Cadets "Bernstein Celebration," Cavaliers "Cavalier Anthems," Star of Indiana "Belshazzar's Feast" etc.)

I could kick myself - I needed all three of those.

Mike

Does anyone know if the individual corps are still selling their physical recordings? Since a lot of the individual corps have their own recordings made and sell them as a means of making more income, I'm curious to know how they are handling this situation right now.

I know BD has just made their Media Box offering completely free. What about other corps - are they still selling individual physical recordings? And, as the follow-up to that, are the individual corps recordings chopped up like the DCI recordings have been?

My hunch is that their own recordings would not be chopped up, and that some corps are still selling, trying to generate more income while trying to stay under the licensing radar.

Does anyone know if the individual corps are still selling their physical recordings? Since a lot of the individual corps have their own recordings made and sell them as a means of making more income, I'm curious to know how they are handling this situation right now.

I know BD has just made their Media Box offering completely free. What about other corps - are they still selling individual physical recordings? And, as the follow-up to that, are the individual corps recordings chopped up like the DCI recordings have been?

My hunch is that their own recordings would not be chopped up, and that some corps are still selling, trying to generate more income while trying to stay under the licensing radar.

Depends on the corps. Madison has DVD's for sale, but not CD's-probably due to the fact that it's expensive to run a production of them if they're not going to sell. For a few years, they were selling the Star: The Drum Corps Years CD which was made in the mid-90's, and the inventory hadn't been sold out. Cavaliers have no physical media currently available. BD has both DVD's and CD's available. Couldn't find anything on the Cadets site, but I didn't click through all the pages to check. Came up empty on the Vanguard site. Crown has both DVD's and CD's available, although looks like the DVD's are tour videos and instructional formats.

So the answer is yes, but not a lot. Also, in most cases, CD's are around $5.00 for the corps that have them, probably trying to liquidate their inventory.

Depends on the corps. Madison has DVD's for sale, but not CD's-probably due to the fact that it's expensive to run a production of them if they're not going to sell. For a few years, they were selling the Star: The Drum Corps Years CD which was made in the mid-90's, and the inventory hadn't been sold out. Cavaliers have no physical media currently available. BD has both DVD's and CD's available. Couldn't find anything on the Cadets site, but I didn't click through all the pages to check. Came up empty on the Vanguard site. Crown has both DVD's and CD's available, although looks like the DVD's are tour videos and instructional formats.

So the answer is yes, but not a lot. Also, in most cases, CD's are around $5.00 for the corps that have them, probably trying to liquidate their inventory.

Thanks for taking the time to look into the issue and write a good response!

So far, the following are not available on the store any longer, it looks like:

1998 - (Cadets "Stonehenge," Santa Clara Vanguard "Copland: The Modernist," Blue Devils "One Hand, One Heart" etc.)

1996 - (Phantom Regiments "A Defiant Heart," Blue Devils "Club Blue," Cadets "The American West" etc.)

1990 - (Cadets "Bernstein Celebration," Cavaliers "Cavalier Anthems," Star of Indiana "Belshazzar's Feast" etc.)

I could kick myself - I needed all three of those.

Mike

Wow, I must have gotten the very last 1990 volume (it arrived Monday)...so glad as that was the year I marched!