Cadets 2016

Tobias

Through the grape vine, they have 100s and 100s signed up and paid. Guess winning the Ott isn't a bad thing...

• Like 1

Through the grape vine, they have 100s and 100s signed up and paid. Guess winning the Ott isn't a bad thing...

I hear they're way ahead of where they were last year at this point.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. That offseason hype is always funny

I hear they're way ahead of where they were last year at this point.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. That offseason hype is always funny

OHHHH I get it lol... :doh:

Meaning some of the pieces from that show or that's the name of the show for 2016?

Stonehenge as a symphonic piece is Van Der Roost's best, but impossible to dramatize. The show would have to be non-narrative. Stonehenge is an historic monument, and in order to bring it to life, you must have Druids-- and the allusion to Spinal Tap is so at the forefront of modern culture, the risk of a full flop is impossible to deny. Don't go there.

The huge risk is that if you portray the creation or ritual use of Stonehenge, the monument, it may end up being comedic. The only way that Stonehenge can be visually produced with any reference to the monument is if it is lampooned as satire with the huge monoliths chasing dwarf Druids and damsels with missing severed limbs eventually dominating and crushing the slabs. Avoid this experimentation and any practical depiction of the monument or its creators at all costs. In turn, be prepared for your depth of concept score to suffer as the visual depiction will not reference the obvious point of focus of the symphony-- the monument itself. That just doesn't work.

If you create a pure movement-only depiction of the music itself, you run the risk of lagging behind narrative shows packed with story elements, strong understructure and throughline, creative costuming, sophisticated characters and a meaningful ending.

ASSESSMENT SCORES:

The music is buoyant, with a modern flair, and is a joy for young people to perform - Score 0

The historical context of the piece offers some visual possibility and dramatic interpretation - Score 0

The era the piece was written offers some visual possibility of interpretation- Score 0

The piece adds humor and avoids self importance - Score 0

The piece is free from current events reference which tarnish the intent - Score 0

The piece avoids the depiction of mysogyny or gruesome ritual - Score 0

The piece has fast paced tempos in part, appealing to George Hopkins' primary criterion :cool: - Score 100

LIMITED DRAMATIC DEPTH. AVOID.

Edited by Channel3