Cadets 2016

Tobias

****THESE ARE ONLY MY VIEWS AND/OR OPINIONS****

So I just got back from Cadets rehearsal. It was blazing hot at 94 degrees with the heat index indicating 103 degrees, not comfortable at all but hey....it's Florida, right? I got a chance to talk to GH and Gino. Gino remembered me from when I marched under him which was a highlight to the day. I still idolize the guy if you can't tell but I wasn't intimidated this time around. I don't quite know how I feel about that. Both are excited about this season as they should be and don't seem worried about anything. A very good thing.

Ok, on to the show. One thing for sure is that like everyone has been saying all along, seeing a video of the corps doesn't do it justice by any stretch of the imagination. The brass is wicked good, ridiculous loud (ridiculous as in I could sit there and listen to them play at a FFF volume all day long), the percussion is out of this world and the guard is cleaning up VERY nicely. The changes that have been made are awesome and fit extremely well. The new drill (staging, since that seems to be the buzz word this season) in Turning, some of the little musical embellishments in Villa and the music additions at the end of Wine Dark Sea are killer. Once the end of Wine Dark is cleaned up, the new additions will come through a lot better but for now I will definitely take what I can get.

Again, the guard is starting to look stellar and you now can get a greater sense of the story that is being portrayed, even without music to back it up. Some of the guard work looks difficult/impressive but is executed well and very much adds to the GE. I've never ever been a colorguard guy and I'm still not but I can say that this guard is crucial to the corps and they are doing a darn great job of bringing that caption it to the table. Kristy was out there today cleaning and spot checking a lot of things which was cool to see. Not becuase it is her job but because the beginning of ensemble got a little carried away which didn't leave much time so it was cut a little short. Despite that, you could see her out fixing errors under time constraint which was awesome.

The electronics, in my opinion, are way too much. Not as far as overuse but in terms of volume. The volume just never seemed to gel with the rest of the corps but perhaps it sounded different from on top of the press box where the staff was or to the judges at competitions. It just sounded like a lot of great things that were happening behind/within the pit aren't heard. Unless you ran a particular segment with brass/battery only, in most cases, you didn't hear those parts clearly when the electronics were added in. I have no fear that they will work those issues out.

I was already excited about the Cadets this season but after seeing them in person today, it has further solidified the fact that I'm sold. A month from now, no matter the placement, it is going to be a show that I think everyone will still whistle at the water cooler in the break room. Hopefully they will continue to close the gap and if they don't, so be it. It'll just be like Madison Scouts 1995 &1996. You know, the two 4th and 7th place shows that are still all time DCI favorites to this day.

Edited by blakman7
  • Like 2

^ totally agree... until you see/hear them in person you won't get it - and once they clean - watch out!

I haven't been this excited about a Cadet program since 2005

• Like 1

^ totally agree... until you see/hear them in person you won't get it - and once they clean - watch out!

I haven't been this excited about a Cadet program since 2005

Exactly. I truly didn't understand until today when that moment hit me and it was like "Ok now I got it" (in that melodious "OH" from the heavens tone)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLdtVSAR6mc

Edited by blakman7

today's moment of Cadet Zen - a bit of the newly orchestrated closer from the rehearsal on 7/7 (Thursday night)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDgUs6qfFF8

Pretty sweet! They never have a problem fielding a killer brass and percussion section. Big sound!!!

After seeing BD tonight at DATR I really don't see anyone beating them...amazing show.

After seeing BD tonight at DATR I really don't see anyone beating them...amazing show.

Yea Cavies is the the only common opponent we have for BD against the east powers. And BD just nearly 5 pointed them.