Cadets 2016

Tobias

I REALLY wish they would go back to just "Awakening" as the show title. I agreed with the move off of "Stoned", but does anyone REALLY need to be told it's the statues that are awakening? It sounds and feels awkward.

I definitely would prefer a change back to "Awakening". Or, maybe we go with "Statues Awakening. Becoming Human. Loving it. Then, not so much."

• Like 1

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that people who have nothing to do with the organization are calling for a change in something that The Cadets have been recognized for a very long time; primarily because Bluecoats changed their uniform to a costume to fit with their show. Say what you want, but I do not believe they need to scrap their uniform just to appease people who have no affiliation with the organization whatsoever.

This would be a very quiet message board if only alumns could give opinions. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Mike

• Like 3

This would be a very quiet message board if only alumns could give opinions. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Mike

I am pretty sure I said nothing about only alums should be giving opinions. My point is Cadets have been through a lot worse to allow people to suggest that in order for them to remain competitive, that they need to change their uniforms.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Thanks Cappy but I am aware what people meant. It was meant to be humorous. I think we all need to relax a little. People are a bit too sensitive..

Thanks Cappy but I am aware what people meant. It was meant to be humorous. I think we all need to relax a little. People are a bit too sensitive..

Gotcha, hard to tell online :smile:

All this call for the "change" in their uniforms reminds me so much of last year when people were calling for change in the visual staff. Now that change has happened and there is a lot of backlash against it. I can't wait to see how much backlash will come forth once (or if) this uniform change takes place. Be careful what you ask for.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that people who have nothing to do with the organization are calling for a change in something that The Cadets have been recognized for a very long time; primarily because Bluecoats changed their uniform to a costume to fit with their show. Say what you want, but I do not believe they need to scrap their uniform just to appease people who have no affiliation with the organization whatsoever.

There most certainly will be backlash if/when a change occurs... the Cadets have an enormous and passionate alumni base. That alumni base was up in arms in 2011 when they took first and 2015 when they placed fourth.

I'm not one calling for a wholesale ditching of the traditional uniform, but I am one that thinks there needs to be an allowance for flexibility should show design warrant it.

And for the record, my stance on this pre-dates Bluecoats' curly-Q spandex.

• Like 1

They showed up in the last 2 weeks of 2015 in black and neon. Imagine them marching on the field for the semis and finals this year in maroon, gold, and cream. No one would see that coming! And it would probably generate an additional 100 pages in this thread... He he.

I don't think anyone is complaining that Cadets are being too loud. People are complaining that the Cadets are doing nothing but being loud in the closer. Get some lowered dynamics in parts of it so the final impact has more emphasis!

Do you think Phantom 1996's opener would've had nearly the same impact if there was no gradual crescendo in those first 2-3 minutes of the show?

It's an extremely rare occasion that The Cadets don't nail the nuance of the musical program. The visuals and show design are a work in progress this year. But I can't imagine them not getting the music right. If this corps does anything consistently well it is that they know how to close the show. They'll sort this aspect out by August.

• Like 1

I REALLY wish they would go back to just "Awakening" as the show title. I agreed with the move off of "Stoned", but does anyone REALLY need to be told it's the statues that are awakening? It sounds and feels awkward.

Remember, all modern drum corps show designs must be literal stories. With some music and drill to help support it (that part shouldn't be the focus though).

• Like 1