Cadets Guard vs. Crown Percussion

Agreed BUT Cadets guard hasn't been strong for years. Seriously, it was about time they made changes. We're these the correct changes? Time will tell.

They were 2nd place in 2014. That is relatively strong for that year.

• Like 1

I personally thought the Cadets had their best sounding, best performing, brass line in years for themselves, last season. And it got them in the end..... exactly what ?

I personally thought the Cadets had their best sounding, best performing, brass line in years for themselves, last season. And it got them in the end..... exactly what ?

The brass trophy.

• Like 2

Sitting waiting for the rain to stop and the show to continue...

The irony struck me that the accusations are that the Cadets' presentations have been too traditional, staging inadequate, props too cumbersome, and flow of show lacking GE (if I summarize all the DCP posters delegated as junior judges.)

The irony is that YEA holds more band contests than any other US group, touts 750 schools as participating, and should be able to reap the combined entertainment/GE/performance wisdom of 750 units x size of show faculty for each unit. From this perspective, the Cadets should be the most creative, innovative, and challenging of all show designs.

As all of DCI has been accused the last 20 years of merely mimicking what some band or WGI unit did a season before, maybe the staff needs to include designated "spies" to glean what is the best of each of these non-DCI performances, copyists to catalog these effective moments, and weavers to build a show that moves beyond the repetition, cerebral challenges, and technical exercises. For instance, speed and aggression in percussion excites the crowd; what else does?

Hey, that may be its own DCI show title: The Gleaners and The Weavers.

just thinking aloud.

Edited by xandandl

DCP really does turn into something else once the season ends..

Which is why I try not to come here too often until the season starts (or Cadets post some stuff during the off-season).

Which is why I try not to come here too often until the season starts (or Cadets post some stuff during the off-season).

I'm probably done coming on here for a bit, sick of looking at old farts bicker over the most ridiculous things as if it will change something.

• Like 1

Absolutely agree. Guard is NOT the caption you want to be weak. As I stated several times, Cadets Guard cost them a point at finals. They wouldn't have won but they would have been right in the thick of things.

Sitting waiting for the rain to stop and the show to continue...

The irony struck me that the accusations are that the Cadets' presentations have been too traditional, staging inadequate, props too cumbersome, and flow of show lacking GE (if I summarize all the DCP posters delegated as junior judges.)

The irony is that YEA holds more band contests than any other US group, touts 750 schools as participating, and should be able to reap the combined entertainment/GE/performance wisdom of 750 units x size of show faculty for each unit. From this perspective, the Cadets should be the most creative, innovative, and challenging of all show designs.

As all of DCI has been accused the last 20 years of merely mimicking what some band or WGI unit did a season before, maybe the staff needs to include designated "spies" to glean what is the best of each of these non-DCI performances, copyists to catalog these effective moments, and weavers to build a show that moves beyond the repetition, cerebral challenges, and technical exercises. For instance, speed and aggression in percussion excites the crowd; what else does?

Hey, that may be its own DCI show title: The Gleaners and The Weavers.

just thinking aloud.

I've said before, Cadets are a hair away from dominating again. They have outstanding brass and percussion, can march the #### out of anyone especially when you compare what they do to what others are doing. Design is the key. Learn from your mistakes, add some new blood (they just did), and they can be the monster corps they were in the 80's to the early 2000s.