DCI in California? Maybe problems...

I thought the sidelines were a bit far back from the stands at TOC in 04...have they moved closer?

That was the last time I was at Jack Murphy (not Qualcomm....NEVER will I call it Qualcomm....it's always The Murph)

Yeah, I would agree with you there about The Murph/Q. The sideline does feel far back, based on TOC experience as well as going to SDSU games more recent.

Yeah, I would agree with you there about The Murph/Q. The sideline does feel far back, based on TOC experience as well as going to SDSU games more recent.

I never noticed the sideline distance issue prior to the TOC...but I was seeing it from the field when I was in the Marching Spaztec - er -- Aztecs.

So, is that your complaint? The stands are too far back? And? What?

Y'know....going by (poor) memory of the 04 show AND vid from Invesco that year...I'm not so sure the distance from sideline to the front set of seats wasn't similar.

I don't know if the field is, or is not, suitable for drum corps....

but I can guarantee you that, if there are no turf problems, Justin Tucker can kick field goals better than anyone in a DCI corps. :tongue:

• Like 1

I live in Santa Clara, been to the stadium on multiple occasions. It sucks. I was pro-drum corps being in the stadium for a long time, but once I started attending games there, I've changed my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Santa Clara, been to the stadium on multiple occasions. It sucks. I was pro-drum corps being in the stadium for a long time, but once I started attending games there, I've changed my mind.

Let me guess the seats are inches from your knees like at stanford? I hate the seating there.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this is west of California by a bit, but the issues apply to our activity as well.

How well are the DCI contest mgrs. prepared for a thorough safety check beyond just the usual complaints about divots, pebbles (real and artificial) filling the grids of marching shoes, and "wet spots," Pasadena hash-gates, and other aspects?

Photos here are quite revealing. What insurance influences will compound the already challenging role of show sponsors?

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sports-breaking/u-s-soccer-match-canceled-at-aloha-stadium/

Edited by xandandl

So, is that your complaint? The stands are too far back? And? What?

For me (and this is minor, but if we're talking about less-than-great/perfect-experiences):

* the shows felt a loss less intimate, and much more detached. I was in a "field level" seat, pretty close to the field, and the pit was easily 15/20 yards away, so the rest of the corps was behind that obviously.

* volume might be an issue. Physics = the further back sound is, the "quieter" it would be. In 2004 we're talking about mostly Top 10 corps, but with smaller or less accomplished corps volume could be a problem. As a HS band teacher who lives through marching band season with a band roughly 175, when we play stadiums where the stands are pretty far back from the field ALL the bands sound a bit sedate, tepid, emotionless, etc. With BD or Crown it might not be as big an issue; with Mandarins, PC, Pioneer, smaller Open Class, etc. it might be a greater issue (also, it wouldn't surprise me if electronics were turned up more in that sort of situation to try to compensate for further space from field-box).

Maybe your DCI show attendance is limited so you haven't had the experience of performing or viewing a show where the stands are fairly far back from field. My band played there a few years ago for HS Football finals, and it they sounded noticeably less volume & excitement-wise for that performance. Obviously there are other factors (HS FB finals = several weeks after competitive marching season, for example) and I won't argue the difference was solely to blame; but it is a factor and would, IMO, detract from a performance enough that I would be (slightly) hesitant to have DCI Finals there.

Of course, the stadium is a dump, and field-to-stands distance would be pretty far down on the list of problems with The Murph/Q. And by the time DCI would want to put Finals or a big Regional or something in San Diego we'll either A) not have ANY decent football stadium since NFL moved away or B) we'll have a brand new stadium