Suncoast Sound 1988

Someone said star was loudly booed in Jackson at finals? Who, where, when?

Personally I saw Suncoast many times the two years in question. I remember a polite reception in 87 but it was pretty boring. 88 = loved it!

I recall a far more " polite reception " with audiences to Suncoast Sound's show in '88, compared to Suncoast Sounds '87' " My Fair Lady " show that was received far better back then in my observations. I liked Suncoast Sounds '87 production as much as the fans did too. ( and the judges as well, compared with their '88 show ). But I have no issue with your loving the '88 show better than their '87 edition from this Corps. . Thats cool and all as well... of course.

Edited by BRASSO

Well, I was in a pretty good position to analyse audience response about 30 or so times that summer.

I have witnessed LOTS of shows over the years that in the early going were not as well received as they were by Finals.

I stand by my obeservation that '87 Suncoast Sound's " My Fair Lady" was received better at Finals by the Finals audience than the 88 Suncoast Sound production was ( ' Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child )". I do know we also have conclusive , incontrovertible evidence that the DCI judging community preferred the Suncoast Sound '87 production over their '88 production as well, ( compared to their Corps peers ) even though you tell us above that the '88 Suncoast Sound Corps had more MM talent that season of '88 over that of '87.

The following 7 years after the '87 Suncoast Sound production of" My Fair Lady ", their placements never got any higher than that '87 production did... and by 1994,... they were no more. So I don't know what else to tell you if you tell us that Suncoast Sound MM's did not like their '87 show, when after that year, they never moved back up in placements beyond 9th, and were then gone from the scene a mere 7 years later.

Edited by BRASSO

I have witnessed LOTS of shows over the years that in the early going were not as well received as they were by Finals.

Star of Indy received a lot of applause in Jackson '93. Had they not closed with Dance of Vengeance, it would have been hopeless for them.

I stand by my observation that '87 Suncoast Sound's " My Fair Lady" was received better at Finals by the Finals audience than the 88 Suncoast Sound production was ( ' Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child )"

So who said Star was "loudly booed" in Jackson???

So who said Star was "loudly booed" in Jackson???

It's documented in the Bill Cook book "Ready, Fire! Aim" as well as other places both on and off the internet.

Read pages 341-343: https://books.google.com/books?id=wNSd4CuhZpIC&pg=PA340&lpg=PA340&dq=%22george+zingali%22+%22bill+cook%22&source=bl&ots=-a46s0GvyG&sig=I-FKpq6amH-oENt5naFbTbh3dvs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAWoVChMIsfnVr4-GyQIVCYI-Ch1RZgpy#v=onepage&q=%22george%20zingali%22%20%22bill%20cook%22&f=false

It's alluded to there.

I saw the 1988 show only once in early August at Manning Bowl in Lynn. I remember being just blown away. It was so powerful, like nothing I had ever seen before. Still one of my all time favorites. And, as Tad mentions, the color guard was spectacular. They really "got" what the show was attempting to communicate. Should have won at DCI, but the judges went with the well performed but conservative approach of Phantom. I don't remember what the audience reaction was that evening, but I was spell bound. As others have mentioned before, it set a precedent for what Star and then others tried to do later. I have a copy of the Finals performance at DCI. Unfortunately, they went on early, and it was still light. I believe that that show needed darkness to convey its message, which was kinda dark and, in a way, mysterious. Wish I could have seen it live more.

Just read the except from the Bill Cook book that tesmusic provided. To me it seems just a bit self-serving and overwrought. I saw Star more than once each season from 90 - 93. The only time Star played Massachusetts during those years, IIRC, was early season in Beverly in 1992. They won and were very well received. I attended DCI in Madison that year, as well. Midwestern fans probably were to blame for the Star hate that year (and the other as well). However, I thought that show, though well performed, was boring and the scrims really overdid the patriotic message, which was kind of out-of-date at that particular moment. Another factor was that the 1992 show did not have a Zingali drill, and I thought that showed and was a net negative for Star. Also, they were up against an ascending Cavalier corps looking to win DCI for the first time and a zooming and spectacular Cadets production, To Tame the Perilous Skies. The audience reaction to Star's 3rd place finish--wild cheering--however, probably was tough for those kids. I was in the stands all three nights in Jacksonville the following year. I do remember some people near me making fun of the body movement, which I did not like. However, the spectacular Medea finish resulted in a rousing cheer from the crowd,. I was mid-field on the 50 pretty high up, so I think I got a good impression. I have the DVD, and that confirms it for me as well. For the record, I liked Star 1993, but the Cadets that year were not chopped liver. In conclusion, yes, Star was unpopular in the early 90's, but not as universally booed and hated as the Cook book implies, as far as I can remember.

Star of Indy received a lot of applause in Jackson '93. Had they not closed with Dance of Vengeance, it would have been hopeless for them.

Believe it or not, my recollection was that the audience gave.. by far.... the loudest appreciative applause in Jackson, Ms. for the 3rd place eventual placement Corps that nite in '93... Phantom Regiment. But you are right, Star of Indiana did get a pretty good reception that nite for their '93 production show and there was no booing on their show there in '93 that we recalled in our group that were in attendance there.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes.... I'm glad that poster George Dixon here( who was also at the Finals there in '93 ) has also confirmed yesterday in his post ( as I did ) that there was no visible, nor audible booing of the Star of Indiana after they finished their Finals performance in '93. Its an urban myth ( booing of Star at Finals in '93 ) that unfortunately took on a life of its own. Having said this, there might have been booing of them in other regions that year, if so, I could not say, as I only saw and heard Star twice that year ( both at Championships) where there was no booing of them after their Prelims & Finals performances.

Edited by BRASSO

This is what happens when you can't read what I actually said. The inability to understand what was actually said, did apparently get you frustrated. Thats of course a regrettable occurance... for you, But I can't be held responsible for your frustration in this case.. as it was entirely of your own doing. If you'd care to reread what I actually said above, you will see that my initial reply remarks to this topc never focused on the marchers view of that show. Not at all. The initial reply remarks made by me ( still there above ) were about the AUDIENCE reaction to the '87 show and to my OWN observation and assessment of its enjoyment levels. As a follow up post, I then accepted without challenge, and in its entirety, the comment made that a few, some, most, or even all of the 87 MARCHERS did not particularly like that '87 show that they performed. So,... I really don't know what else to tell you, 84BDsop.

If you'd bothered to pay attention to what I wrote, you'd see that I was clearly referring to the CORPS MEMBERS feelings on the show -- which John Adcock confirmed -- NOT to the audience reaction.