Suncoast Sound 1988

A factoid about the 88 Suncoast Sound show. At some point we were in the Wash. DC area for a competition. We had a "free day" in DC. If memory serves me correct, a part of the corps performed near the Vietnam War memorial, The Wall. The Wall was a key part of Symphonic Dances of the Contemporary Child (sadly during the KC finals one segment didn't go up correctly but don't blame anyone because this show was very intense with equipment, costumes, props etc.!). Anyway, we all went down to The Wall in DC to see it for what we had been portraying for half a summer. I got a bit emotional because during tour, I had been, as you can see on video, looking and responding to the Suncoast Sound "Wall" on the football field for over a month!

I already had felt a bit a emotional then about that part of the show because I had a father who served in the Vietnam War (and grandparents and relatives in WW2 and other wars), but seeing the actual Wall, all the names inscribed on it, teared me up. So, feeling really guilty, I then picked up a few flowers that folks had left at The Wall's bottom in memoriam and put them in a bag I was carrying and hoped I wasn't descreting anything (and few in my corps knew I had done this).

You see, I was already dancing with fake cemetery flowers as choreographed to pick up in the SC show at The Wall, and I figured that these real flowers at the actual memorial would be discarded anyway. So yep, I took a few and put them in that fake bouquet in order that these fallen soldiers would be honored in a way over and over again thru many shows Suncoast Sound would go on to do. At the KC Finals, those are in that bouquet and which I and the rest of the corps honored. 

Edited by Suncoast 88, Magic 90

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

The wall was in the 1984 Vietnam show. 

Nm

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

The 1988 show had a variety of "call backs" to previous shows built in.  Like the guard's brief use of ASL from 1983. 

https://www.dci.org/news/download-of-the-week-1988-suncoast-sound

[h/t to the great Michael Boo]

• Like 2

Also...how many years until Clara posts in a "Blue Devils 2015" thread?   😃

But seriously thanks for posting this, it's a really neat thing to see the show and such from different retrospectives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

My bad. I forgot it was in the 1988 and the 1984 show.

Yes, The Wall was in a previous Suncoast Sound show (was it 84 or 86? I don't remember because it was before my time). I was shown a video of it before we all in 88 starting rehearsing and still creating it. I recall a young girl having a bit of what I did. However, for 88, Karl was going going to have a boy to my part (which was more expansive than that earlier show). As well, my recollection is that I was the second mostly just a dancer in a DCI troupe. The closest predecessor to me of mostly dancing throughout was a wonderful dancer with then Garlfield/Cadets of Bergen County (do I have that right?) in the 87 show. He went on to dance with Alvin Ailey Dance Theatre in NYC. Nice young man. He came around during the 88 tour and we felt a kinship in our place in DCI (and I loved that corps and the staff I ended up knowing pretty well).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

The 1988 show had a variety of "call backs" to previous shows built in.  Like the guard's brief use of ASL from 1983. 

https://www.dci.org/news/download-of-the-week-1988-suncoast-sound

[h/t to the great Michael Boo]

Oh, thanks. I just replied to another not remembering which year on another post. Michael Boo is correct about all the "call backs" years before of Suncoast 88. I think, that in part, explains this deep loyalty at the time the entire corps and staff felt about the 88 show along with pride in Smith's composition and Karl's color guard. Michael Boo--I remember we all looked to his assestments back in the day!

33 minutes ago, Suncoast 88, Magic 90 said:

Yes, The Wall was in a previous Suncoast Sound show (was it 84 or 86? I don't remember because it was before my time). I was shown a video of it before we all in 88 starting rehearsing and still creating it. I recall a young girl having a bit of what I did. However, for 88, Karl was going going to have a boy to my part (which was more expansive than that earlier show). As well, my recollection is that I was the second mostly just a dancer in a DCI troupe. The closest predecessor to me of mostly dancing throughout was a wonderful dancer with then Garlfield/Cadets of Bergen County (do I have that right?) in the 87 show. He went on to dance with Alvin Ailey Dance Theatre in NYC. Nice young man. He came around during the 88 tour and we felt a kinship in our place in DCI (and I loved that corps and the staff I ended up knowing pretty well).

You might be referring to Garfield Cadets (later 'of Bergen County'...etc) 1987 Appalachian Spring show.   I forget his name but that guy was INCREDIBLE.

27 minutes ago, Suncoast 88, Magic 90 said:

Oh, thanks. I just replied to another not remembering which year on another post. Michael Boo is correct about all the "call backs" years before of Suncoast 88. I think, that in part, explains this deep loyalty at the time the entire corps and staff felt about the 88 show along with pride in Smith's composition and Karl's color guard. Michael Boo--I remember we all looked to his assestments back in the day!

Sadly, we lost the great Michael Boo last year. https://www.dci.org/news/prolific-marching-arts-author-michael-boo-dies-at-65