Suncoast Sound 1988

50 minutes ago, Suncoast 88, Magic 90 said:

Yes, The Wall was in a previous Suncoast Sound show (was it 84 or 86? I don't remember because it was before my time). I was shown a video of it before we all in 88 starting rehearsing and still creating it. I recall a young girl having a bit of what I did. However, for 88, Karl was going going to have a boy to my part (which was more expansive than that earlier show). As well, my recollection is that I was the second mostly just a dancer in a DCI troupe. The closest predecessor to me of mostly dancing throughout was a wonderful dancer with then Garlfield/Cadets of Bergen County (do I have that right?) in the 87 show. He went on to dance with Alvin Ailey Dance Theatre in NYC. Nice young man. He came around during the 88 tour and we felt a kinship in our place in DCI (and I loved that corps and the staff I ended up knowing pretty well).

The original "Wall" was in the 1984 show...and that was the same year Suncoast played the ballad, "Requiem," while actually standing ON TOP of the actual memorial in DC.

Here's a reddit thread on it.   Pic's at the top (My comment as Purple Fencer)

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 2

I know there are a lot of different discussions going on in this thread, but as for Suncoast Sound and their 1988 show I remember being BLOWN away by this corps. They were talented, the show was cutting edge stuff, the brass were fantastic, and the guard was amazing. It took guts and a high level of skill to design, teach, and perform that show. I will always love the Florida Suite shows of 85 and 89 (I think that's right), and I did enjoy the 87 show. But 1986 and 1988 are both amazing for many reasons. The 1986 brass line was freakin ON FIRE when I saw them live. I mean they sound like Blue Devils. But it wasn't just 86. Their 84 and 85 lines were killer good. They are definitely a corps I truly miss. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I know there are a lot of different discussions going on in this thread, but as for Suncoast Sound and their 1988 show I remember being BLOWN away by this corps. They were talented, the show was cutting edge stuff, the brass were fantastic, and the guard was amazing. It took guts and a high level of skill to design, teach, and perform that show. I will always love the Florida Suite shows of 85 and 89 (I think that's right), and I did enjoy the 87 show. But 1986 and 1988 are both amazing for many reasons. The 1986 brass line was freakin ON FIRE when I saw them live. I mean they sound like Blue Devils. But it wasn't just 86. Their 84 and 85 lines were killer good. They are definitely a corps I truly miss. 

Suncoast's strength was always the brass...and Rob Smith's charts.   The 83 opener....yikes!!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2021 at 8:06 PM, Mello Dude said:

Meh.  If you watch 88 finals, (which BTW was a random draw and affected finals a LOT and it's why it's never been used again),  Phantom's guard work was amazing and clean.  No one was even close IMHO in being as clean with the amount of work they did.  I disagree, had they used today's criteria they would not have one best guard in 88.  Think of it this way, if you bothered to look at the whole season Phantom's guard hardly "snuck" in there.  Amazingly, Phantom's guard was so good in 88 they won even going on like what second that night?  That says a lot.

From 6th to 1st is what I’d call sneaking in. Phantom was TWO points under Madison on Friday. By “criteria,” I should have been specific in the current averaging of scores to arrive at the winner—not the sheet standards. My apology. Averaging the Semi and Finals numbers:

Suncoast: 97.70

Madison:   97.65

Phantom:  97.05

Ya, if you look at the season as a whole....doesn't hold water.

3 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Ya, if you look at the season as a whole....doesn't hold water.

All my post meant was: compared to the rest of the corps, the guard was outstanding. And using the numbers from Friday & Saturday — not the whole ###### season — under today’s tabulatory rules, Suncoast would have won Best Guard! Jeez!

• 8 months later...

A follow up months later, as I posted today elsewhere on this site: 

With what is going on in Ukraine, I humbly suggest watching Suncoast Sound 1988, "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child."
By Suncoast 88, Magic 90,
1 hour ago in DCI World Class Corps Discussion

Suncoast 88, Magic 90
Posted 1 hour ago
It was a show that tried in 12 minutes to deal with the roots of war from childhood on. The biggest creators of the show were Robert Smith, composer, and Karl Lowe, Color Guard and more. A lot of the other staff did drill and such that were amazing too! It was 1988 and showed still fear of the then Soviet Union, ultra-nationalism of other countries, nuclear war, and memory of the Vietnam War that were alive for all of us who were in Suncoast then. The show isn't perfect but there was a special pride for many of us to have been a part of a DCI piece that dared to be different and have a message. 

• Like 2