Next big thing in drum corps shows

Amplified tap dancing for percussion. Just saw Riverdance and it would it awesome to hear some amplified tap dancing.

Some Corps have on occasion successfully utilized Gaelic Music too.

And speaking of Gaming Music, quite a significant slice of today's modern Gaming Music is unmistakenly heavily influenced by the Music found in the ancient, hauntingly beautiful, Gaelic Music genre too.

Of all the Riverdance-esque shows I have seen done competitively, the work of Zingali and crew with his color guard in Boston (was it Erte` or the other version with the A-name then?) still stands out as the most dynamic, enticing, and complex, tapping included.

DCI Corps have agreed to be judged in shows without Brass judges... or Percussion judges... or Guard judges ( or any combination loss therof ), so I see no reason that Corps that have elected to have lights in their shows, could simply use them in the shows that they prefer to use them in that year, and forgo the use of them in other shows where the environment is not conducive to its use in that show.

Then what would be the point in that, if, as has been suggested, lights would be the next big thing? It would be the latest and greatest....every so often? The judging reduction is really a cost savings strategy in the early season isn't it? Not a fair comparison. I don't see lights happening because a designer won't achieve the affect (reality) that is seen in his minds eye. Again, my opinion.

Then what would be the point in that, if, as has been suggested, lights would be the next big thing? It would be the latest and greatest....every so often? The judging reduction is really a cost savings strategy in the early season isn't it? Not a fair comparison. I don't see lights happening because a designer won't achieve the affect (reality) that is seen in his minds eye. Again, my opinion.

Yeah, I can see the lighting effects different from venue-to-venue with the effect designed to be maxed out in Indy w/the LOS lighting looks. Or maybe a lighting rig effect that's only used at the very end of the season: if a corps can change the entire corps proper for the last week or so, why not add lighting?

SCV did not bring lights into their show this past summer until Championships. Crown did not bring in the closer banner until August either. Lots of Corps over the years have utlized new props on the field only by Championships that year. I see no reason then that other Corps can't do with lights( or some other variation ) what we all here presumably saw SCV just do at Indy a mere 3 months ago. Maybe a Corps gets the Indy stadium staff to do something with creative multi colored lighting for them at Lucus indoor stadium. As far as we know, there is nothing at all in the current DCI rulebook that disallows a Corps to utilize a stadium's lighting to their advantage. Lots of musical groups in traveling tour concerts do things with indoor stadium lighting, they can't do in other venues during their concert tour schedule.

Edited by BRASSO

Not sure if it will be a "crowd went wild" thing, but I think video will be the next thing...large screen/screens...kinda like the orchestra/gamer thing...I've seen several indoor units use one or multiple video screens, and I can see that translating to the drum corps field...unfortunately, I can also see the video becoming the star and the corps becoming the accompaniment...

I can see that; there are SOOOOO many possibilities on how to integrate video into a show to make a performance multi-media and truly audio/visual. Moreso than lighting fads, I think the use of video equipment has a plethora of possibilities, and ways to be integrated into a field show to not be the focus, per say, but to enhance live visual design. For example, think of WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT and brilliantly integrated animation w/live action: I think there could be some very cool, inventive integration.

I can see that; there are SOOOOO many possibilities on how to integrate video into a show to make a performance multi-media and truly audio/visual. Moreso than lighting fads, I think the use of video equipment has a plethora of possibilities, and ways to be integrated into a field show to not be the focus, per say, but to enhance live visual design. For example, think of WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT and brilliantly integrated animation w/live action: I think there could be some very cool, inventive integration.

Hmmm...With Jessica Rabbit I can think of two places to hide cameras.

• Like 2

I could envision my eyes gravitating toward watching Roger or Jessica Rabbit up on a live screen during a Corps performance.. especially given other options taking place for my eyes to gaze upon during the performance... so there is some merits to this as suggestion for " new things " we might envision taking place in Drum Corps someday soon.

Edited by BRASSO

Yeah, I can see the lighting effects different from venue-to-venue with the effect designed to be maxed out in Indy w/the LOS lighting looks. Or maybe a lighting rig effect that's only used at the very end of the season: if a corps can change the entire corps proper for the last week or so, why not add lighting?

Saw a band this fall, a small one, that had all sorts of lighting on their percussion section. The rims, heads, everything lit up, and changed colors as the struck the heads. They did a space show, and the bass drum heads had the image of Star Fleet on them.

I could see my eyes gravitating toward watching Roger Rabbit up on a live screen during a Corps performance.. especially given other options taking place for my eyes to gaze upon during the performance... so there is some merits to this as suggestion for " new things " we might envision taking place in Drum Corps someday soon.

OK, you watch Roger....I've got the other one covered. :augen51:

• Like 1

OK, you watch Roger....I've got the other one covered. :augen51:

You swilly wabbit, you. (.. haha!..)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1