Next big thing in drum corps shows

Jet packs are considered a fire hazard, which has been outlawed by LOS. So you'd have to have them powered by drone technology instead.

Jet packs are considered a fire hazard, which has been outlawed by LOS. So you'd have to have them powered by drone technology instead.

Will the drones be required to do "manuevers" while lifting? Will we now need an aerial judge for "above the box"??? Box 7 has already been taken by The Big Guy.

Will the drones be required to do "manuevers" while lifting? Will we now need an aerial judge for "above the box"??? Box 7 has already been taken by The Big Guy.

My guess is that now the GE person has to handle this. Isn't that where they dump all the captions they want grey area on anyway?

• Like 1

Not sure they're a fire hazard but the noise would be definitely be a problem.

These guys are probably closest to delivering an actual product:

Edited by corpsband

Ok,

One time at not-band camp, the designers discussed how to increase the impact of GE and move the judges and audience with surprises and more excitement during Championships week.

The result was rolls and rolls of toilet paper descending from the upper decks upon the spectators as the Phantom Regiment ended the 1812 Overture by tossing streamers from the cuffs of their pants and into the air to mimic fireworks.

AND THE CROWD WENT WILD!

Fast forward to 2009 and the crowd shouts "I am Spartacus!!" while corps members on the field (or phield) do the same. Some phans even wore centurion helmets.

AND THE CROWD WENT WILD!

Fast forward to 2014 and Hopkins and corps members grow beards portraying Lincoln (and the Troopers) on his anniversary and their show about Presidents.

AND THE CROWD, well not so much.

Some might reference Santa Clara's and Bloo's electric shows and Crown's 3 peat of the pull the-drape-above-the-corps-trick borrowed from BAC as better AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!

But now comes this: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-video-games-are-saving-symphony-orchestras-and-filling-concert-halls/

Will it soon be in a DCI stadium near you?

What next to make THE CROWD GOES WILD! ???

Regarding symphony orchestras doing gaming music, that's been done for years. A few that come to mind are:

http://vgo-online.com

http://umd.gamersymphony.org

and my favorite...which I attended years ago... http://www.videogameslive.com/index.php?s=home

Regarding "AND THE CROWD WENT WILD", I'd like to see this done by a Corps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7BspGlpUVw

...as long as they have a 20' tall Martian tripod. :wow:

I'm still waiting on the jet pack we've been promised since the 50s.

The day performers soar above the field .

nm

Edited by BRASSO

If DCI follows the lead of BoA, drones will be prohibited. BoA made that rule change following last year's Grand Nationals, so I heard, because Tarpon Springs H.S. (ultimately the champion) had a drone that crashed outside the playing area during either Prelims or Semis, and BoA felt there was a danger of someone in the audience getting hurt.

I can see that; there are SOOOOO many possibilities on how to integrate video into a show to make a performance multi-media and truly audio/visual. Moreso than lighting fads, I think the use of video equipment has a plethora of possibilities, and ways to be integrated into a field show to not be the focus, per say, but to enhance live visual design.

One of this year's BoA finalists, Blue Springs H.S., had something like 40 prop big screen wide-screen televisions on tall stands moving around the field this year. They weren't functioning TVs, just mock-ups, and they consistently showed the multi-colored test pattern. But in front of the pit were five working televisions, that conveyed messages like "Obey", while at the top of the show, a voice kept intoning "Do not look at the televisions". The show was about subliminal messages and other ways our lives interact with technology. In the middle of the performance, they sampled Vienna Teng's original recording of "Hymn of Acxiom", which Bluecoats had played in 2014. Because the audience therefore could hear the lyrics (for anyone who still doesn't know, the song is about computerized data collection), that made Blue Springs' use of the song more obviously connected to the show theme than was the case for Bloo. (Not that I'm saying the show was better than "Tilt". Not by a long shot.)

One of this year's BoA finalists, Blue Springs H.S., had something like 40 prop big screen wide-screen televisions on tall stands moving around the field this year. They weren't functioning TVs, just mock-ups, and they consistently showed the multi-colored test pattern. But in front of the pit were five working televisions, that conveyed messages like "Obey", while at the top of the show, a voice kept intoning "Do not look at the televisions". The show was about subliminal messages and other ways our lives interact with technology. In the middle of the performance, they sampled Vienna Teng's original recording of "Hymn of Acxiom", which Bluecoats had played in 2014. Because the audience therefore could hear the lyrics (for anyone who still doesn't know, the song is about computerized data collection), that made Blue Springs' use of the song more obviously connected to the show theme than was the case for Bloo. (Not that I'm saying the show was better than "Tilt". Not by a long shot.)

Kennesaw Mountain used the multi-screen TV prop with real video about a dozen years ago for BOA Grand Nationals. "The more things change, the more they stay the same."