Why is this HS Band show better designed than half the 2015 top 12?

While I have no opinion on this specific band, I will say this much.

There are 100 times as many marching bands. All the DCI designers, plus many multiples of others, design marching band shows. I have no doubt that someone could find one show that can compare to DCI in some aspects of design, from among the thousands of marching band shows to choose from.

Offered in discussion of:

Top instructors and designers AVOIDING DCI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxTzPmKedg

I'm thinking specifically of this program in comparison to: 2015 Phantom Regiment, 2015 Cadets, 2015 Cavaliers, 2015 etc...

I'd (personally) put BD, Bluecoats, Blue Knights etc above this one in terms of design

George, most of Broken Arrow's staff has strong DCI connections the HUGE exception is Wes Cartwright (Program Coordinator, Guard)

He was responsible for SCV '89 Phantom of the Opera design, and for whatever reason now does BA and consults with Texas bands. He is responsible for Broken Arrow and LD Bell's evolution to Grand National Champions in the 2000's.s

In fact, I personally wrote George Hopkins asking him to try and get Wes Cartwright involved with Cadets. His design sensibility is what has gone missing with them in my opinon and that speaks to the point of your post.

I don't know why he is not involved with DCI corps anymore. If I had to guess, it would be time commitments, travel, pay. The fact that maybe he is satisfied having worked on what so many consider the best show of all time in DCI (SCV '89).

I don't think it is an issue with most designers "avoiding" DCI, just an individual case.

Otherwise BA staff is DCI all stars:

Jim Moore - (Bluecoats, SCV winterguard) choreographs the body movement - which really sets BA apart in my opinion, because it is so well done and musical.

Leon May - (Carolina Crown drill writer) Writes the drill

I know they have Cadets front ensemble people.

Edited by cadet93
  • Like 1

The Nile. Not just a river :)

To be fair, in this thread, I think those who dislike Broken Arrow's design (e.g., shofmon88, Herk, Hockey Dad) have said more to to back up their positions than have those, like me, who admire B.A.'s work. No art is self-evidently superior. It's all subjective.

• Like 2

What if I like marching bands and drum corps? Do I have to choose? (Aspects of one genre seems to influence the other and vice vera) What if I like winter guard too? What will I do? Why so many questions? Where are the answers? What fan am I? Is the sky blue? Alas DCP, I need thee to guide me :smile:

You can like or dislike anything you want, my Dear.( so long as I don't have to pay for it... haha!)

Guys. It's just band.

Bingo. Marching Bands come in all forms, you can choose to like ( or not like ) whatever form/ show designs of these Marching Bands tickles your fancy ( in DCI, in BOA, in DCA, in WGI, .... or in any other circuit for that matter. )

In both drum corps and band, design is a means to an end: education. A poorly designed show is unfortunate, but not a critical failing as it would be for Cirque du Soleil, for example. There are many poorly designed shows, and the corps and bands survive because they are succeeding at their mission, which is education, not putting on great shows for audiences.

I like to think that if I were a corps director I could find staff to deliver nothing but amazing shows, but I bet it's harder than it looks. And ultimately more expensive one way or another.

• Like 3

In both drum corps and band, design is a means to an end: education. A poorly designed show is unfortunate, but not a critical failing as it would be for Cirque du Soleil, for example. There are many poorly designed shows, and the corps and bands survive because they are succeeding at their mission, which is education, not putting on great shows for audiences.

I like to think that if I were a corps director I could find staff to deliver nothing but amazing shows, but I bet it's harder than it looks. And ultimately more expensive one way or another.

Isn't it true though that a poorly designed corps show is much more likely to affect next year recruitment/veteran retention than a poorly designed HS band show?

George, most of Broken Arrow's staff has strong DCI connections the HUGE exception is Wes Cartwright (Program Coordinator, Guard)

He was responsible for SCV '89 Phantom of the Opera design, and for whatever reason now does BA and consults with Texas bands. He is responsible for Broken Arrow and LD Bell's evolution to Grand National Champions in the 2000's.s

In fact, I personally wrote George Hopkins asking him to try and get Wes Cartwright involved with Cadets. His design sensibility is what has gone missing with them in my opinon and that speaks to the point of your post.

I don't know why he is not involved with DCI corps anymore. If I had to guess, it would be time commitments, travel, pay. The fact that maybe he is satisfied having worked on what so many consider the best show of all time in DCI (SCV '89).

I don't think it is an issue with most designers "avoiding" DCI, just an individual case.

Otherwise BA staff is DCI all stars:

Jim Moore - (Bluecoats, SCV winterguard) choreographs the body movement - which really sets BA apart in my opinion, because it is so well done and musical.

Leon May - (Carolina Crown drill writer) Writes the drill

I know they have Cadets front ensemble people.

some of the DCI folks do the gig in order to make a name for themselves which they parlay into great marching band gigs

BA has a huge DCI connection with the top 3 corps

no doubt