Why is this HS Band show better designed than half the 2015 top 12?

Other judges might want to check out the scores from another show.

' Never thought of that angle.. good point. Maybe they could just phone it in ?

DCI once had a subscription service for fans where you dialed a 900 number and you could get the scores for a fee. Maybe they could negotiate one for gratis for the judges in case they felt they needed an emergency tutiorial to be brought up to speed on what their colleagues are scoring these DCI Corps around the country.. Its just a thought, anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

DCI Corps go into public secrecy mode in the off season; perhaps they'll go secret on the DCI local competition scores in time. "Might as well copy what these bands are doing outside DCI in this area as well." Besides, how real can a drum & bugle corps competition's scores be anyway without a drum judge? or a Brass judge? or a Guard judge? or any combination lack thereof?

While, as cixelsyd notes, OMEA's secret score-keeping is not unique, it is pretty unusual. I think more band circuits do announce scores than don't. Obviously BoA does, and they are the leading adjudicating organization.

I know you're seizing the opportunity to comment on one of your favorite targets, but on the subject of not having a guard or drum judge, I would note that in some band circuits, those items are not judged separately or if they are, they do not count toward the total score. A good percussion section is more valuable in OMEA, for instance, than In BoA.

I know you're seizing the opportunity to comment on one of your favorite targets, but on the subject of not having a guard or drum judge, I would note that in some band circuits, those items are not judged separately or if they are, they do not count toward the total score. A good percussion section is more valuable in OMEA, for instance, than In BoA.

I hear ya. Not having judges for major captions, doesn't seem to matter much in the early season placements of Corps anyway in these local shows. I can pretty much place the top 3 in any local show beforehand.. no matter the size of the panel.

I wish I could do this at the horsetrack. Do you realize how much earlier I could have retired if I could have routinely placed the top 3 ponies with the bet of my trifecta ? I know, I know.. can't compare DCI competition with any other sports competition, and I get that. But Man, DCI is usually easy pickings in the placements at 90% of these local DCI shows competition " horse races ", so whether DCI wants to keep their competition scores private or public, or have full panels or half sized ones, really is no big deal anyway, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

I will say that in a few brief discussions with a designer who has worked in DCI, BoA, and WGI, I was told that, in his opinion, DCI had the least interesting designs.

I don't doubt that. Degree of difficulty requires different things in different venues. And hard does not always = entertaining or interesting. The merits of that can be argued to death but..

BTW I don't have a problem with all the school discussion side tracking. I guess the Mods don't either since it is them mostly doing it. But hell it's November. And it's keeping things lively around here.

And an art film director would say that summer blockbusters are horribly boring compositions as well. But since DCI has to fund their own circuit, they don't have the luxury of tax dollars to try whatever the designers dream up. (And while I get that the top tier BOA bands have massive DCI crossover, once you start going down the ranks you will find a lot of bands that will make one rethink letting designers have completely free reign...)

Mike

• Like 2

' Never thought of that angle.. good point. Maybe they could just phone it in ?

DCI once had a subscription service for fans where you dialed a 900 number and you could get the scores for a fee. Maybe they could negotiate one for gratis for the judges in case they felt they needed an emergency tutiorial to be brought up to speed on what their colleagues are scoring these DCI Corps around the country.. Its just a thought, anyway.

Isn't the complaint of some: (they already did)???

Or were you just making a pun with a two way meaning?

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

DCI Corps go into public secrecy mode in the offseason, perhaps they'll go secret on the DCI local competition scores in time. ' Might as well copy what these Bands are doing outside DCI in this area as well. Besides, how real can a Drum & Bugle Corps competition scores be anyway without a Drum judge ?.... or a Brass judge ?.... or a Guard judge ?.... or any combination lack thereof ? So what the heck, might as well keep the DCI early season Corps local show scores non public as well, imo. Fans of DCI might not like it at first. But they could get used to it in time. Especially if the other circuits in Band are currently doing this, and the fans there don't seem to mind not getting the shows scores.

I want to be the first to step up and say thank you for the monikers you used in this post. It's absolutely clear to whom you're referring and your points is clear, and clearly sarcastic. This clarity in our discussions is one reason I push back against calling all musical groups that perform on football fields "marching bands".

To your point, I've had this discussion many times with many people in DCI, directors and otherwise and I'm convinced that there is no will within DCI's member corps to emulate any marching band circuit. We can say that "DCI" follows, or looks like, or takes from WGI, USBands, BOA or whatever, but I'm convinced there's a concerted effort among BOD's and directors to differentiate drum corps from marching band. I'd not be concerned that DCI will follow OMEA.

OMEA is, I'm convinced, the antithesis of everything that DCI stands for. I don't suppose either OMEA or DCI will change, but they are certainly almost by definition the oil and water of marching field music and performance. One will certainly outlive the other, or there will be an effort to happily coexist, but I don't think we even need to sarcastically feign concern that one will emulate the other.

DCI corps go into off-season-quiet-mode because it takes such massive amounts of effort to build the following season. Nothing more than that.

Isn't the complaint of some: (they already did)???

Or were you just making a pun with a two way meaning?

I suppose I could have typed... " mail it in " to avoid such ambiquities, but the double entrendre would have been a bit over the top, imo.

I hear ya. Not having judges for major captions, doesn't seem to matter much in the early season placements of Corps anyway in these local shows. I can pretty much place the top 3 in any local show beforehand.. no matter the size of the panel.

I wish I could do this at the horsetrack. Do you realize how much earlier I could have retired if I could have routinely placed the top 3 ponies with the bet of my trifecta ? I know, I know.. can't compare DCI competition with any other sports competition, and I get that. But Man, DCI is usually easy pickings in the placements at 90% of these local DCI shows competition " horse races ", so whether DCI wants to keep their competition scores private or public, or have full panels or half sized ones, really is no big deal anyway, imo.

This is so absolutely true, and one of the significant reasons why I test the language of the "competition" of DCI local shows. Ordering the lineup, for you and me, is easy pickings. But I doubt its as easy for the average fan, even an average marching band geek fan. And it's easy picking for you and me because DCI is in the business of putting together an entertaining lineup at each show, not a competitive one.

And an art film director would say that summer blockbusters are horribly boring compositions as well. But since DCI has to fund their own circuit, they don't have the luxury of tax dollars to try whatever the designers dream up. (And while I get that the top tier BOA bands have massive DCI crossover, once you start going down the ranks you will find a lot of bands that will make one rethink letting designers have completely free reign...)

Mike

Strong statement, there.