DATR gone from DCI Live lineup?

While looking through the shows that will be streamed during 2016 on DCI's Schedule page, I noticed that Drums Along the Rockies is no longer included in the live video lineup. Since I'm subscribed, I went to the video portal and looked at the events available on the live stream portion of the video player. Sure enough, no DATR.

This is infuriating for several reasons. 1) This show was promised as part of the package at the beginning of the year; 2) DCI hasn't released any communications regarding the removal of the show that I'm aware of; 3) this creates a 15 day gap between shows, which is the largest all season; 4) this is my "home show," and I really enjoy seeing it, especially since I live in Australia now. DATR is also one of the easier shows for me to catch, thanks to its location in the Mountain Time Zone (it's not so bloody early as the eastern shows).

The list of events originally included can still be found here http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210570102&DB_OEM_ID=33500

The "current" schedule can be found here, among other places: http://www.dci.org/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&key=&DB_OEM_ID=33500

Did anyone here receive notification that DCI was going to cut the show? Is this another causality of copyrights? There are already less shows being streamed this season. There were 18 discrete streaming events in 2015, counting each day of Allentown and the World Championships (19 if you count the free one at the beginning of the season). Using the same measure, there is now 14 discreet streaming events in 2016. The East Coast Classic, Whitewater classic, and DCI Southern Mississippi were excluded from the beginning, and now Drums Along the Rockies joins the list.

Something needs to change, and I'm inclined to start with record companies.

While looking through the shows that will be streamed during 2016 on DCI's Schedule page, I noticed that Drums Along the Rockies is no longer included in the live video lineup. Since I'm subscribed, I went to the video portal and looked at the events available on the live stream portion of the video player. Sure enough, no DATR.

This is infuriating for several reasons. 1) This show was promised as part of the package at the beginning of the year; 2) DCI hasn't released any communications regarding the removal of the show that I'm aware of; 3) this creates a 15 day gap between shows, which is the largest all season; 4) this is my "home show," and I really enjoy seeing it, especially since I live in Australia now. DATR is also one of the easier shows for me to catch, thanks to its location in the Mountain Time Zone (it's not so bloody early as the eastern shows).

The list of events originally included can still be found here http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210570102&DB_OEM_ID=33500

The "current" schedule can be found here, among other places: http://www.dci.org/liveEvents/liveEvents.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&key=&DB_OEM_ID=33500

Did anyone here receive notification that DCI was going to cut the show? Is this another causality of copyrights? There are already less shows being streamed this season. There were 18 discrete streaming events in 2015, counting each day of Allentown and the World Championships (19 if you count the free one at the beginning of the season). Using the same measure, there is now 14 discreet streaming events in 2016. The East Coast Classic, Whitewater classic, and DCI Southern Mississippi were excluded from the beginning, and now Drums Along the Rockies joins the list.

Something needs to change, and I'm inclined to start with record companies.

I can say this, without starting another thread about copyright issues, that there is no way that it was cut for copyright reasons. If it was, then all shows would be taken off.

I would, however, imagine it may have to do with resources, cost of production, ease of production, etc.

But copyright, no.

Could be that the stadium in Denver only allows its own people to video tape events (in house contracts, etc). They may have given DCI an invoice that was too expensive for this summer's upcoming show, especially with all the expenses DCI already has with licensing issues, etc. I seem to remember a few years ago that certain stadiums would only allow their own video crew to record or video events. The Buffalo stadium was an example, and I seem to remember that video feed not going very well...anyway, could just be a contractual issue with the stadium that DCI can't afford right now.

• Like 1

I have been informed this particular event IS going to be available and should be listed on the calendar.

Please note this line from the original news release: "Additional events are expected to be added to this preliminary schedule as the summer approaches. Schedule is subject to change."

Thank you for noticing the oversight and mentioning it so it can be corrected. It will appear soon.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program. :)

• Like 5

I mean this only slightly tongue in cheek, but waiting on DCI to explain a decision they've already implemented, even one that affects money already paid to them as a customer, is an exercise in futility.

Mike

Not when one goes to the source.

• Like 2

I have been informed this particular event IS going to be available and should be listed on the calendar.

Please note this line from the original news release: "Additional events are expected to be added to this preliminary schedule as the summer approaches. Schedule is subject to change."

Thank you for noticing the oversight and mentioning it so it can be corrected. It will appear soon.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled program. :)

The situation and the explanation begs: Why wasn't "the source" paying attention to their public announcements and show schedule to identify errors instead of waiting for the paying public to get ###### off, call in for clarification, and do "The Source's" job for him/her?

"The Source" needs to be more proactive and present a more accurate picture to fans - who have already paid - what they can expect. How many fans have turned up their noses and walked away because DCI's information is inaccurate?

I think Mike New is closer to the facts than you are, Mike. In many ways, DCI is run like a middle school instead of a $10mm organization.

IMO, of course.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

Thanks for going to the source. As garfield says, you shouldn't have to do that.