Blue Knights 2016

RPK

What are you basing this on? I was at Stanford. The design and execution of what BK had on the field was not up to the level of SCV (or Madison). The show is good, and I expect them to be in a battle with Cavies, Madison and maybe Phantom for 6th, but I do not see them challenging SCV. SCV has, perhaps, the best show this year in terms of design, and their brass is much improved. They should place very high in brass, percussion and guard, which will bleed over to the other captions. I would be surprised if they don't medal, or at least end up 4th.

Cadets, IMO, are a wild card. I'm not sure about the visual design of their show, which makes them vulnerable in my eyes, but with a brass and percussion that can win their captions, I don't see them falling below 5th. It would be cool if they did, alone for the fact of getting new blood in the top 5, but I don't see it.

I also think Madison has a very well designed and difficult show, so I wouldn't be too quick to assume BK is going to beat Madison this year.

Everybody has their own opinion and every corps design and execution...but the only opinion that counts is that from the judges which is reflected by the scores. In the case of BK, the judges have much less of a show to evaluate and therein is the reason for their scores which should have risen much more...unless, of course, you think they are just so lousy they cannot improve their performance from day to day.

Myself, I'm of the opinion that the design of the SCV and Madison shows are boring and lacking in the entertainment department. As Mr. Chandler from BD has said, drum corps, nowadays, can more accurately be characterized as "A hundred yards of theater". Shows from BK and the other top tier corps are sooo much more enjoyable...theatrical. But, of course, that's only my opinion. I'm not a judge.

Edited by Herk
  • Like 1

I will say the later they wait to finish, the more I understand the grievances people have about the show not being done.

I love what they have, but the third week of the season for a corps that was top 6 last year does seem really late to perform the show the first time.

I'm not trying to drag that argument in here, and I would suggest taking it to the other thread dedicated to this, but gets me thinking for sure. I really like what they have, don't have an issue with BK.

Could be a strategy to make sure they don't peak. I'm not worried, but it is a little disconcerting. I can't image why else they wouldn't be done by now.

Agreed.... Listen I'm Fan #1, but I'm definitely ansy for them to get the complete show on the field. For me and others with a little knowledge about BK this is their strongest corps in all captions and I want them to be able to showcase that in it's finished form.

Also most have asked about the meaning/theme of the show- there's kind of a two fold idea in what I understand. 1) It's the end of days and a large scale event is happening. If you were the only person or persons left alive, what would you long to redo or atone for in your life. 2) Also, it's kind of a culmination of the previous two shows that have led you to think about life and why we exist and being greatful for it. What if that was taken away suddenly but you were granted a second chance. Plus BK wants it's audience to think and feel for themselves when it's said and done, open your imagination for the scenarios you see or think of....

Right now with the show not done those themes and ideas are not complete. Where the opening is so ferocious imagine a comet or other celestial event that suddenly brings earth into a state of sorrow, pain and death. That's where the third movement comes in to bring hope with Leonard Cohen's poem for a new possibility of life to reverse the effects when the Moonlight Sonata gets played backwards, which it is if no one has noticed at the end of the mvt;) Anyway, the 4th movement- Saturn is going to bring the conclusion in a beautiful way.

These are my understandings, hope it helps esp when only seeing it partially:)

• Like 1

Everybody has their own opinion and every corps design and execution...but the only opinion that counts is that from the judges which is reflected by the scores. In the case of BK, the judges have much less of a show to evaluate and therein is the reason for their scores which should have risen much more...unless, of course, you think they are just so lousy they cannot improve their performance from day to day.

Myself, I'm of the opinion that the design of the SCV and Madison shows are boring and lacking in the entertainment department. As Mr. Chandler from BD has said, drum corps, nowadays, can more accurately be characterized as "A hundred yards of theater". Shows from BK and the other top tier corps are sooo much more enjoyable. But, of course, that's only my opinion. I'm not a judge.

Well I haven't seen or heard a boring show this year. How you can find Madison or SCV boring is beyond me. Just because a show, like BK's, is artistic and weird (which I love) does not mean it is better designed and or demanding than an entertaining show, like Madison or SCV. I think that is a misconception here. I'm glad we have a sorts of different styles. I wouldn't want everyone doing a show like BK's or Madison's.

Myself, I'm of the opinion that the design of the SCV and Madison shows are boring and lacking in the entertainment department. As Mr. Chandler from BD has said, drum corps, nowadays, can more accurately be characterized as "A hundred yards of theater". Shows from BK and the other top tier corps are sooo much more enjoyable. But, of course, that's only my opinion. I'm not a judge.

Again, I was at Stanford. The 6 minutes BK gave us was not on the same level as any 6 minutes of Madison or SCV. Close to Madison, but not SCV.

Well I haven't seen or heard a boring show this year. How you can find Madison or SCV boring is beyond me. Just because a show, like BK's, is artistic and weird (which I love) does not mean it is better designed and or demanding than an entertaining show, like Madison or SCV. I think that is a misconception here. I'm glad we have a sorts of different styles. I wouldn't want everyone doing a show like BK's or Madison's.

I characterize shows such as what we get this year from Madison, SCV as "JABOM/M". (Just A Bunch Of Music/Movement) That means there really isn't much of a story or entertaining theme behind the show. But when you look at BD, Crown, Bluecoats and Cadets...and Blue Knights, those shows are most definitely NOT JABOM/M.

I don't totally dismiss the shows from Madison and SCV. They are well performed and they will score well. But I don't think they rise to the level of those other corps that I mentioned.

Dude, Madison's show sure as hell is NOT "JABOM/M," wherever you got that term from. Great abbreviation by the way, really flows. The show is arguably the 2nd most plot driven show this year, maybe the first (Crown). The story of Judas from Jesus Christ Superstar is incredibly dynamic, dark, and thought-provoking, and it clearly wasn't thrown-together randomly. Not much of an opinion on SCV besides that it's a gorgeous show.

• Like 1

I characterize shows such as what we get this year from Madison, SCV as "JABOM/M". (Just A Bunch Of Music/Movement) That means there really isn't much of a story or entertaining theme behind the show. But when you look at BD, Crown, Bluecoats and Cadets...and Blue Knights, those shows are most definitely NOT JABOM/M.

I don't totally dismiss the shows from Madison and SCV. They are well performed and they will score well. But I don't think they rise to the level of those other corps that I mentioned.

What noah said. Madison is most definitely not whatever that obnoxious abbreviation is saying.

Just because there is no storyline does not mean that they won't "rise to the level" of others.

I don't understand why people are so upset about BK's incomplete show this year. I mean, it's not like this is anything new. I'm pretty sure that in the last four years prior to this year, BK has never had a complete show on the field until late in their NW swing...and certainly never in the first two weeks of the season.

What noah said. Madison is most definitely not whatever that obnoxious abbreviation is saying.

Just because there is no storyline does not mean that they won't "rise to the level" of others.

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. I've never said they won't score well, if that's what you mean by "rise to the level". I'm only talking about why...in my opinion...I'm find their shows boring and not as good as other corps...including BK's show.

Edited by Herk