Official 2016 Blue Stars

I love their show this year. Leaps and bounds better than last year, although I still don't get the point of the girl walking around with the umbrella. Gosh, it is so hard to move up in DCI these days.

From what I understand she is like a fairy godmother type character to the main character and is her guide through the different dream sequences of the show. In the drum feature she gets separated as the demon looking character attacks the main character.

Still a work in progress as of the last video I saw. She just moved in the drill and kinda stood there. I highly suspect that'll change and evolve.

This is what I take as the overall arc:

Opener/1st Part - Girl wakes up in the dream, gets greeted by the lamp lady and is her guide.

Ballad - Love interest dream sequence where our girl meets her love interest.

Drum Feature/Closer - Girl gets seperated from her companions and is attacked/fights the guy in red.

Wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of an epilogue where she goes back to bed and the corps exits or something. But we will see. The show is a tad on the short side as is.

That is my personal take, if that helps anyone get the story more. Of course it's unfinished and I suspect they will add more to make that clear.

Edited by DrumManTx

From what I understand she is like a fairy godmother type character to the main character and is her guide through the different dream sequences of the show. In the drum feature she gets separated as the demon looking character attacks the main character.

Still a work in progress as of the last video I saw. She just moved in the drill and kinda stood there. I highly suspect that'll change and evolve.

This is what I take as the overall arc:

Opener/1st Part - Girl wakes up in the dream, gets greeted by the lamp lady and is her guide.

Ballad - Love interest dream sequence where our girl meets her love interest.

Drum Feature/Closer - Girl gets seperated from her companions and is attacked/fights the guy in red.

Wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of an epilogue where she goes back to bed and the corps exits or something. But we will see. The show is a tad on the short side as is.

That is my personal take, if that helps anyone get the story more. Of course it's unfinished and I suspect they will add more to make that clear.

LOL. Ridiculous. Not just Blue Stars - everyone. I hate that shows have to have a theme and a storyline. Often, we are left scratching our heads. I hope someone does a show with no theme or storyline and wins so all this nonsense can stop. LOL. But thank you for the explanation. Appreciate it very much.

Edited by henry7184

LOL. Ridiculous. Not just Blue Stars - everyone. I hate that shows have to have a theme and a storyline. Often, we are left scratching our heads. I hope someone does a show with no theme or storyline and wins so all this nonsense can stop. LOL. But thank you for the explanation. Appreciate it very much.

I like it......to each their own though. It's pretty straight forward if you know where to look. Basically girl wakes up in dream, lamp lady says hey gurl follow me, and a bunch of crazy #### goes down.

The light version. Lol.

When storytelling is done right in drum corps......it's absolutely magical.

Looking at you late 2000s Phantom.

And Academy this year is doing it VERY masterfully. Simple, perfectly staged characters and events, and easy to get.

Edited by DrumManTx

I like it......to each their own though. It's pretty straight forward if you know where to look. Basically girl wakes up in dream, lamp lady says hey gurl follow me, and a bunch of crazy #### goes down.

The light version. Lol.

When storytelling is done right in drum corps......it's absolutely magical.

Looking at you late 2000s Phantom.

And Academy this year is doing it VERY masterfully. Simple, perfectly staged characters and events, and easy to get.

That's fair. For me, I love Blue Stars drill and music, so that's enough.

Won't happen because then you get a bunch of concepts and people say it's the same thing over and over again.

I'm not on my phone or I would post my why not both taco girl meme.

._.

We're getting a lot of both and some hybrids this year.

Just looking at last years top 15:

Straight up stories with characters, storylines, events, ect.

Carolina Crown

The Cadets

Madison Scouts

Blue Stars

The Academy

Hybrids that are story inspired, maybe some characters, but are more about the essence than a concrete story:

Blue Devils

Blue Knights

Boston Crusaders

Troopers

Concepts that don't rely on characters, but moods, atmospheres, energies, broad ideas or concepts, or just straight up marching and playing:

Bluecoats

Santa Clara Vanguard

Phantom Regiment

Cavaliers

Crossmen

Colts

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

I'm not on my phone or I would post my why not both taco girl meme.

._.

We're getting a lot of both and some hybrids this year.

Just looking at last years top 15:

Straight up stories with characters, storylines, events, ect.

Carolina Crown

The Cadets

Madison Scouts

Blue Stars

The Academy

Hybrids that are story inspired, maybe some characters, but are more about the essence than a concrete story:

Blue Devils

Blue Knights

Boston Crusaders

Troopers

Concepts that don't rely on characters, but moods, atmospheres, energies, broad ideas or concepts, or just straight up marching and playing:

Bluecoats

Santa Clara Vanguard

Phantom Regiment

Cavaliers

Crossmen

Colts

It's the same thing people are saying about Bluecoats uniform. They like that they do it but hope not everybody follows the trend. If everyone was to concept people would get angry. In DCI I think storyline works and in WGI concept works better (shorter time limits). Look at 2008 Phantom. I feel like the story made that show what it was. If you just did a show about killing people wouldn't work it (or would it 🤔) I think the groups doing storyline shows are doing great this year with developing throughout the season. I haven't seen this show since Muncie so I can't wait to see what everyone else has. It's crazy that groups can be so much better this year and possibly not even move up a spot. 2016 may be my favorite year by the end of the season.
  • Like 1

3 days without a show. (seems like forever) No show until tomorrow. Wonder if there are any new additions? Should have been good time for some scrubbing

Free day in Madison and 2 days of additions. From the sounds of it the closer got some rework and all the body that was added during the group of shows probably got some good cleaning. Should be a good string of home shows and the regional!

Man, I hear you. I have no idea what the message is supposed to be with so many of the Corps themes, once its played out on the field in performance.