The Balance: "Souless Perfection" vs. "Inspired Attempt&#3

NO such thing as long as people are involved. IMHO the best system was a tear down build up system they used I think in 84? Where you had the best of both worlds. Today it's just politics and kissing rear end because everything is subjective. Not that it wasn't in the past but still a mistake was a mistake. People can't be completely neutral they aren't machines and after all this IS basically competitive art (art is always subjective). You will notice corps that win spend a lot of money and time "educating" judges in the off season. To think this doesn't sway people or "influence" outcome..I'll have what you're drinking.

No, that is not true. A mistake was not a mistake unless the judge heard it and marked it down, and also decided how MUCH a particular event was worth, tear-down-wise.

Ticks were just as, if not more than, subjective as the system of today, IMO.

• Like 3

No, that is not true. A mistake was not a mistake unless the judge heard it and marked it down

Sometimes, a well-timed cymbal crash could ensure that a brass judge would not hear a release error... LOL

• Like 1

Sometimes, a well-timed cymbal crash could ensure that a brass judge would not hear a release error... LOL

Worked with drumlines too, when cymbals stood in front of the snares and crashed at certain spots, where there may have been a very exposed release.

• Like 1

No, that is not true. A mistake was not a mistake unless the judge heard it and marked it down, and also decided how MUCH a particular event was worth, tear-down-wise.

Ticks were just as, if not more than, subjective as the system of today, IMO.

WORSE!..LOL and with alot less accountability on the judges part.imo

you are quite right.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3

So was listening to BD 2014 on the way home from work today.

Is that an example of a perfect combination of Inspired Perfection?

All I could think at the big moment in "La Strada" and the end of the closer is how the hell was I not just downright drooling baby tossing all over this during the season?! The energy and emotion during those moments is just explosive, and is there in the rest of the show too. Not to reopen old wounds, but that show was a HUGE turning point for them to me and should have been for others in that they were A LOT more accessible and classically enjoyable to everyone than in 2010 - 2013, shows I definitely respected for their technical brilliance. I guess maybe I'm seeing it more now because I wasn't expecting something like 2013 when I was watching it. It was there in 2015 too during the final week, they had plenty of traditional type big moments woven in with their more esoteric approach they've taken up.

I guess back to my point, that seems like an example of a show that was #### clean but none of the humanity and emotion was wiped away with the dirt. Any other shows like that?

As far as I'm concerned, look no further than '96 Phantom Regiment. That program had passion built in from the get go and the performers kept digging deep the entire season. I believe because it wasn't a "showy" show there was an extra burden on the performers to wring out every bit of emotion they could. As an aside I still get chills thinking of the deconstructed chevron against the stark black uniform and what I feel it represents.

'96 Phantom was full of emotion. '97 Phantom was so dry - IMO it matches the label of "Souless Perfection." The show was performed so well but there wasn't anything about it that pulled your heart onto the field the way that '96 did.

• Like 1

So was listening to BD 2014 on the way home from work today.

Is that an example of a perfect combination of Inspired Perfection?

All I could think at the big moment in "La Strada" and the end of the closer is how the hell was I not just downright drooling baby tossing all over this during the season?! The energy and emotion during those moments is just explosive, and is there in the rest of the show too. Not to reopen old wounds, but that show was a HUGE turning point for them to me and should have been for others in that they were A LOT more accessible and classically enjoyable to everyone than in 2010 - 2013, shows I definitely respected for their technical brilliance. I guess maybe I'm seeing it more now because I wasn't expecting something like 2013 when I was watching it. It was there in 2015 too during the final week, they had plenty of traditional type big moments woven in with their more esoteric approach they've taken up.

I guess back to my point, that seems like an example of a show that was #### clean but none of the humanity and emotion was wiped away with the dirt. Any other shows like that?

BD 2014 was, hands down, the best drum corps I've ever seen... and I've been around corps since 1967, in one capacity or another.

I can't predict the future... but for me, it will be hard to top that show and performance level. Absolutely stellar.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

BD 2014 was, hands down, the best drum corps I've ever seen... and I've been around corps since 1967, in one capacity or another.

I can't predict the future... but for me, it will be hard to top that show and performance level. Absolutely stellar.

I agree on that 1,000%, and I saw my first show in 1964. An amazing show put together by the staff....performed by an amazing group of members.

• Like 1