The Balance: "Souless Perfection" vs. "Inspired Attempt&#3

Hockey Dad:

Yet that Frackfest in 78 scored a 9.9 in musical analysis and 9.8 in GE brass. How?

(should have finished 3rd, imo)

I have no idea. Maybe GR intimidated the judges. I don't know how Phantom didn't win that year.

I have no idea. Maybe GR intimidated the judges. I don't know how Phantom didn't win that year.

Marching captions kept them out of first, looking at the recap, inc GE M&M...a 0.1 spread in prelims was 0.4 in finals...and PR came in 2nd by 0.1....that alone made the difference.

PR 78 was great and I thought 79 was even stronger. What an amazingly performed program that was.

Well, the tick system was infallible, so I don't understand why the old-timers are complaining.

Yep... as infallible as the day is long. During winter at the Arctic Circle. :tongue:

• Like 2

Well, the tick system was infallible, so I don't understand why the old-timers are complaining.

Nothing adjudicated by humans will ever be infallible. So, pick a system, it doesn't matter, there will always be complainers.

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned, look no further than '96 Phantom Regiment. That program had passion built in from the get go and the performers kept digging deep the entire season. I believe because it wasn't a "showy" show there was an extra burden on the performers to wring out every bit of emotion they could. As an aside I still get chills thinking of the deconstructed chevron against the stark black uniform and what I feel it represents.

• Like 1

NO such thing as long as people are involved. IMHO the best system was a tear down build up system they used I think in 84? Where you had the best of both worlds. Today it's just politics and kissing rear end because everything is subjective. Not that it wasn't in the past but still a mistake was a mistake. People can't be completely neutral they aren't machines and after all this IS basically competitive art (art is always subjective). You will notice corps that win spend a lot of money and time "educating" judges in the off season. To think this doesn't sway people or "influence" outcome..I'll have what you're drinking.

Through the years we've seen drum corps programs which seem a little rough around the edges and lack perfect execution but we're extremely exciting and enjoyable. An example for me was Cadets Les Miz program in 1989.

We've also witnessed programs that are technically brilliant but lack a spark of excitement. 1992 Star's program is one example for me that felt flat although I could appreciate the musical and visual performances

I've personally witnessed many other programs through the years that started a season very rough in terms of execution and improved greatly in terms of execution but became really dull and almost unwatchable. As if the souls was hosed and perfected out of it.

How do the best corps achieve the balance between perfection and inspiration? What are other good examples where maybe the dirty June program was more exciting or a well performed program that just sort of lies there? Do programs tend to lose excitement as the corps perfects them?

A good handful of years ago I remember someone telling me about a particular brass instructors comments. This was in a corps that was highly successful in the early 2000's and a corps that people complained about because they performed in an overly controlled and sterile like fashion. The instructor's comment was....

"Perfection before Expression"

Only question I have for this person is 'If it is impossible to achieve perfection, when does the expression part get to kick in' ?

I don't mind a corps winning who has more emotion in a show performance than a corps winning who is performing safe and sterile....

A good handful of years ago I remember someone telling me about a particular brass instructors comments. This was in a corps that was highly successful in the early 2000's and a corps that people complained about because they performed in an overly controlled and sterile like fashion. The instructor's comment was....

"Perfection before Expression"

Only question I have for this person is 'If it is impossible to achieve perfection, when does the expression part get to kick in' ?

I don't mind a corps winning who has more emotion in a show performance than a corps winning who is performing safe and sterile....

AHHHHH but expression is PART OF perfection ..or at least can be for those who strive for a total package.

Edited by GUARDLING