The Balance: "Souless Perfection" vs. "Inspired Attempt&#3

'92 Star is a good example perfect execution but the soul is somehow missing. I also would place '88 BD in that category. Saw them mid-season and WOW, how could anyone top that ! But at finals it seemed like the spark was gone and, although executed to perfection, was mechanical and emotionless.

• Like 2

'92 Star is a good example perfect execution but the soul is somehow missing. I also would place '88 BD in that category. Saw them mid-season and WOW, how could anyone top that ! But at finals it seemed like the spark was gone and, although executed to perfection, was mechanical and emotionless.

I think when their is too high a level of demand, there is never a complete release of emotion from MMs. BD seems to balance their show the best with demand achievable by MMs with enough cerebral capacity left over to be able to let loose and let the emotional component gel. I think Cadets are typically writing shows with just too much demand (musical complexity brass and percussion) intricate and constantly moving visuals and just always seems to never leave anything left for the MMs to give emotionally since the shows are just too difficult to perfect. (Hopefully things change this season). Crown has a pretty good balance as they've toned down their visual demand a lot in the past few seasons.

I'd agree on both.

I think when their is too high a level of demand, there is never a complete release of emotion from MMs. BD seems to balance their show the best with demand achievable by MMs with enough cerebral capacity left over to be able to let loose and let the emotional component gel. I think Cadets are typically writing shows with just too much demand (musical complexity brass and percussion) intricate and constantly moving visuals and just always seems to never leave anything left for the MMs to give emotionally since the shows are just too difficult to perfect. (Hopefully things change this season). Crown has a pretty good balance as they've toned down their visual demand a lot in the past few seasons.

So Cadets shows don't have emotion because they're too hard and Crown/Blue Devils do because they tone down their shows? I don't buy that, at all. lol. There is a lot more to difficulty to playing lots of notes and moving fast.

So were Star 90, 91, 93, Cadets 93, 97, 98, 00, 05, 07, 11 and many other shows boring? Because they sure were not lacking in difficulty.

• Like 1

I can't speak for the way thing run today since I haven't been around a DCI corps for any length of time for 25 years. However, in the 80s I have strong feelings about this very subject. I think one of the reasons Blue Devils was so successful back in the day (and I am sure this weighs in to this day) is the way the members were treated during the course of the season. I had friends in other corps that couldn't believe our daily schedules. We ALWAYS got 8 hours of sleep, regardless of show logistics. If that meant we didn't rehearse on a show day after a particularly long bus ride the night before then so be it. We ALWAYS go three hot meals a day. Sometimes we even fed other corps in the parking lot! As a member we always felt like our needs always came first. By the end of the season we were fresh, excited and enthusiastic about what we were doing. Others?....well, perhaps not.

I think the Blue Devils organization has this down to a science. It is one of the big reasons, I believe, that they have been so successful.

Dan

• Like 2

What about those shows that "...coulda been a contender..." but leaned a bit more towards the exciting the crowd end.

One that really comes to mind is Madison 1995. Holy #%^& the energy in that show, but never really overtook the groups above them, as far as scores. Not necessarily saying they would've won, but could have made it a bit more interesting.

Edited by ibexpercussion

What about those shows that "...coulda been a contender..." but leaned a bit more towards the exciting the crowd end.

One that really comes to mind is Madison 1995. Holy #%^& the energy in that show, but never really overtook the groups above them, as far as scores. Not necessarily saying they would've won, but could have made it a bit more interesting.

Saw the Scouts that summer at the NJ Meadowlands show, from field level, 50-yard line. (I was the PA announcer that evening.)

The sheer power of that horn line, and the overwhelming energy of that show.... wow. That final push in Malaga... they #### near knocked me through the wall behind me. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring

I can't speak for the way thing run today since I haven't been around a DCI corps for any length of time for 25 years. However, in the 80s I have strong feelings about this very subject. I think one of the reasons Blue Devils was so successful back in the day (and I am sure this weighs in to this day) is the way the members were treated during the course of the season. I had friends in other corps that couldn't believe our daily schedules. We ALWAYS got 8 hours of sleep, regardless of show logistics. If that meant we didn't rehearse on a show day after a particularly long bus ride the night before then so be it. We ALWAYS go three hot meals a day. Sometimes we even fed other corps in the parking lot! As a member we always felt like our needs always came first. By the end of the season we were fresh, excited and enthusiastic about what we were doing. Others?....well, perhaps not.

This method might still be used by the BD. The number of shows they do each year allows down time and extra rehearsals. I imagine this way of doing things gets known by many potential mm and they realize if I work hard, improve my talent, I'll have more down time.

• Like 1

This method might still be used by the BD. The number of shows they do each year allows down time and extra rehearsals. I imagine this way of doing things gets known by many potential mm and they realize if I work hard, improve my talent, I'll have more down time.

This ,

Plus: These corps who have been successful for decades found a formula for not only competing but running their corps. Staff and or member retention just 2 of many things . I believe what has also developed over the decades for some is an actual culture. BD has theirs, Cadets has theirs and are or have been vastly different in most ways. Members today also gravitate to not only a corps they strive to be in but I think in many cases the culture they may feel they fit into.

The development of such cultures does add to the success verses those who flip flop around it. Now this doesnt mean all cultures are right either. There have been some over the years that should have re- assessed what their " culture was " and does it work for keeping staff as well as member retetion and attracting new ones.

Over the years I have witnessed the other side of the activity as well. Members being verbally abused, pushed beyond reasonable limits, beat down over the course of a summer for whatever reason. Can't be good for the long term health of the organization or retention and recruitment of members. Counterproductive in the long run. Don't work harder...work smarter.

Dan

• Like 2