LGBT laws and drum corps?

No. It just means that the assumption made on here by 2 posters that what the Cavaliers and the Madison Scouts are doing with their exclusion of females is legal is merely just speculation alone. We really don't know this. That was the summary gist of my reply to them.

I think it can also be a stretch that there is a problem at all. Just sayin

Wait, this thread isn't about Long-winded Gleefully Belligerent Trolls?

lol! so THATS what LGBT stands for ? Who knew ?

OK so I guess a boycott of certain sows would not be a good idea especially since some are the bigger shows.

I just wonder how uncomfortable it would be to perform in those shows. (even though the audience it self would be accepting at any drum corps show).

Either way I just want to express my support for our LGBT brothers and sisters. My intent was to open dialogue here and it seems to be a good discussion.

• Like 1

OK so I guess a boycott of certain sows would not be a good idea especially since some are the bigger shows.

I just wonder how uncomfortable it would be to perform in those shows. (even though the audience it self would be accepting at any drum corps show).

Either way I just want to express my support for our LGBT brothers and sisters. My intent was to open dialogue here and it seems to be a good discussion.

I agree with you on that for sure. I can't think of an activity more open than this one and I don't think we need a statement or something to affirm that. It's funny, this kind of stuff never even crosses my mind with drum corps because of how much of a non issue it is because we're all humans participating, following, or enjoying this awesome activity, as human beings. Not as gay, straight, right left, white black, whatever. We're just a bunch of incredibly nerdy people obsessed with this drum corps thing and I think that's awesome. We argue over scores and show design choices, not stuff that's just inhumane.

If it was something that was openly affecting and discriminating against people on a pretty heavy basis I'd say we can have a conversation about boycotting, making public statements and that kind of stuff. In this case, I say don't sweat it personally. If we did this for every state that had some questionable laws and some pretty backwards thinking there wouldn't be a whole lot of shows. I say don't let it keep us out, be there and spread the love and music, and keep performing. :grouphug:

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

Yea for sure. I never even thought about it either but then I did and realized I never saw a thread on it here. Not to open up political discourse or anything but I just wondered what some people thought.

I wish more of the world would take the tolerance of drum corps. It really is great.

• Like 1

I agree with you on that for sure. I can't think of an activity more open than this one and I don't think we need a statement or something to affirm that. It's funny, this kind of stuff never even crosses my mind with drum corps because of how much of a non issue it is because we're all humans participating, following, or enjoying this awesome activity, as human beings. Not as gay, straight, right left, white black, whatever. We're just a bunch of incredibly nerdy people obsessed with this drum corps thing and I think that's awesome. We argue over scores and show design choices, not stuff that's just inhumane.

If it was something that was openly affecting and discriminating against people on a pretty heavy basis I'd say we can have a conversation about boycotting, making public statements and that kind of stuff. In this case, I say don't sweat it personally. If we did this for every state that had some questionable laws and some pretty backwards thinking there wouldn't be a whole lot of shows. I say don't let it keep us out, be there and spread the love and music, and keep performing. :grouphug:

As I said in a earlier post and you just said it. Young people today do not view the LGBT life etc etc and other issues like many" adults have " Most if not all young people i have been around over the years could care less . In 20 years ( as someone else said ) we will actually be embarrassed by such laws which promote separatism .

I'm so glad to see in our activity members not even giving a second thought to someone different from them or seeing a relationship that may be different from theirs. It wasn't always like that for sure. A lesson I think many can still learn from our youth in and out of the activity.

Edited by GUARDLING

It's probably worth noting that we had a long discussion of Indiana's law about a year ago:

Indiana's New Law

It was a good discussion that went quite a while, only because the participants kept it civil and relevant to the drum corps activity.

I'll repeat what I posted there:

Please - HERE'S THE DEAL, FOLKS:

We are always obligated to follow the Community Guidelines, but from time to time a current event, religious and/or political topic rises to a level of importance and impact that we should and do allow some leniency.......

^^ As long as the discussion remains civil and on point, this thread will remain open

**No other spinoff threads will be permitted..talk about this topic here.

**At some point, we will close this thread once the fire burns down and everyone has had a chance to have their say.

**...... ANY posts that are not civil or are relevant will be removed, and I'll deal with the offending posts/posters appropriately.

**I already have to deal with some questionable messaging between several people here - please read the Guidelines. inappropriate or harassing messaging is verboten too, capische?

**PLEASE do your part to keep on topic, and report any questionable contributions to the moderating team.

Keeping the thread going is all up to you. Thanks for your help to do that.

Did a little touch up post cleaning this morning, so good to continue.....thanks and "happy posting"!

z