Letter from Tresona

Arrangers themselves aren't required to secure the rights, the group is. Though many arranges will include rights acquisition as part of their service (I've done it both ways). My contracts state that if you chose to secure the rights yourself, you still pay me if there's a problem later.

I'm sure you've consulted with lawyers on this matter, so I'm sure what I write next will not be news to you, but in the event that a group you write for does not obtain proper rights, even if your contract states that you are still paid and even if you are not part of the process, that you can still be liable if there is an issue later.

I'm sure you've consulted with lawyers on this matter, so I'm sure what I write next will not be news to you, but in the event that a group you write for does not obtain proper rights, even if your contract states that you are still paid and even if you are not part of the process, that you can still be liable if there is an issue later.

Oh, I know. Now that Tresona is around, I check for myself the availability of rights before I do anything. I've really cut down on what I write (in terms of numbers) and now pretty much require I get the rights myself. It's not worth the potential hassle down the road, that's for sure.

Oh, I know. Now that Tresona is around, I check for myself the availability of rights before I do anything. I've really cut down on what I write (in terms of numbers) and now pretty much require I get the rights myself. It's not worth the potential hassle down the road, that's for sure.

Lowing the overall numbers of charts arranged to make sure copyright permission is granted likely also comes with a sacrifice in arranging revenue. However, the profit for doing so is far better in what really matters in the end which is called integrity.

You're not kidding!

Lowing the overall numbers of charts arranged to make sure copyright permission is granted likely also comes with a sacrifice in arranging revenue. However, the profit for doing so is far better in what really matters in the end which is called integrity.

Oh, certainly. In my case, it's not my main source of income...I just do it because I enjoy it.

Oh, certainly. In my case, it's not my main source of income...I just do it because I enjoy it.

I have drill writer friends who ask the same question. Just so they aren't brought into the conversation when everyone gets thrown under the bus.

I have drill writer friends who ask the same question. Just so they aren't brought into the conversation when everyone gets thrown under the bus.

Drill writers do not have to worry about this, unless they used copyrighted images, shapes, logos, etc.

Drill writers do not have to worry about this, unless they used copyrighted images, shapes, logos, etc.

this is true. but in the event of something going wrong, often everyone goes under the bus and it gets all sorted out later. they try to avoid these circumstances.

this is true. but in the event of something going wrong, often everyone goes under the bus and it gets all sorted out later. they try to avoid these circumstances.

In most situations that deal with legal matters and financial compensation, even a grandma who is a cousin twice removed of the second wife of the drill designer, if she had anything to do at all with the issue at hand, no matter how remote, especially if she had disposable income, her name would likely appear in the law suit. Then yep, it would all be sorted out later.