Letter from Tresona

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1112-mourning-prince-online-in-the-absence-of-media/

Thought this was interesting, Prince was so tight with copy write /media control that when he died, fans couldn’t find his material to share online

So, it was Prince's personal property to do with as Prince pleased. And likely all of that, including the vaulted charts, will become the personal property of his sister to do with as she pleases. And I say great!!!!

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1112-mourning-prince-online-in-the-absence-of-media/

Thought this was interesting, Prince was so tight with copy write /media control that when he died, fans couldn’t find his material to share online

it took Prince until 2015 to get the rights to his own songs back from the representation. He wasn't thrilled for many years that Warner Bros controlled what would happen to his music.

• Like 1

But if it was iTunes, where all the cost is placed back onto the consumer, or like on-demand movie rentals (where for $4.99 you get 48-hours of access to it) this could be the way to go. Everyone wins... sort of.

I like this idea; I wonder if something like that would be beneficial enough for everyone to consider/put into place? As a fan, I never thought of a "rental" type thing, but I could get into it at that price if I had to: or if the alternative was nothing. I own most of my favorite shows on some sort of hard media (either DVD or Blu-ray), so I probably wouldn't mind pay a nominal fee for a short-time rental. I know DCI wasn't interested in 3rd party services for media sales (i.e. iTunes for audio downloads) but maybe at this point it's worth everyone's worthwhile in order to deliver their product to the widest fanbase possible at the most affordable price + best quality format.

it took Prince until 2015 to get the rights to his own songs back from the representation. He wasn't thrilled for many years that Warner Bros controlled what would happen to his music.

Yeah he LOATHED WB for quite awhile and took him decades to get his masters back under his control. I was almost surprised how many albums he had for sale on iTunes as I thought he was shunning that stuff in favor of artist-friendly/controlled Tidal.

Interesting discussion point regarding Prince/copyright/artist control:

There are supposedly THOUSANDS of unreleased tracks Prince recorded, sitting in a vault that may never see the light of day (apparently, EVERY ROOM of his compound was wired for sound, so if Prince wanted to record a track while taking a dump in the bathroom, the technology existed for him to do that). Prince was the type of rare artist who was either eating, sleeping, fornicating, taking care of business stuff, or recording music: he seemingly never sat around on a couch watching TV, or spent time on internet forums debating stuff - it was either recording music or business. Now his heirs will have control over not only his nearly 40 albums of released music, but also the potential thousands of unreleased tracks: if they live by Prince's philosophies we may never hear any of that. Or maybe they'll have different opinions and will release (and make money on) all of that stuff!

Also, Prince fans, mark your calendars: 2086 is when Prince music will be in the public domain (assuming copy right law doesn't change before then?) :tounge2:

Yeah he LOATHED WB for quite awhile and took him decades to get his masters back under his control. I was almost surprised how many albums he had for sale on iTunes as I thought he was shunning that stuff in favor of artist-friendly/controlled Tidal.

Interesting discussion point regarding Prince/copyright/artist control:

There are supposedly THOUSANDS of unreleased tracks Prince recorded, sitting in a vault that may never see the light of day (apparently, EVERY ROOM of his compound was wired for sound, so if Prince wanted to record a track while taking a dump in the bathroom, the technology existed for him to do that). Prince was the type of rare artist who was either eating, sleeping, fornicating, taking care of business stuff, or recording music: he seemingly never sat around on a couch watching TV, or spent time on internet forums debating stuff - it was either recording music or business. Now his heirs will have control over not only his nearly 40 albums of released music, but also the potential thousands of unreleased tracks: if they live by Prince's philosophies we may never hear any of that. Or maybe they'll have different opinions and will release (and make money on) all of that stuff!

Also, Prince fans, mark your calendars: 2086 is when Prince music will be in the public domain (assuming copy right law doesn't change before then?) :tounge2:

During his WB days, he wanted to release stuff about every 3 months. Of course, WB and similar companies don't like that ... so Prince archived a bunch of stuff over the years.

I'm cautiously optimistic that many of the vault tracks will get piecemeal release in some way (though it wouldn't surprise me if Prince's family is just as protective as the Zappa Trust is of Frank's recordings).

Well, no...his material was all over the Torrent networks, and blew up almost instantly in the wake of his death...which is to be expected when one cannot obtain music legally.

Out of the millions of choices out there to pick from I would really emphasize the lower percentage of the word 'some'. Why? Because a highly qualified arranger can do wonders. Just look at the obscure charts chosen over the years by various DCI corps that when first announced many fans went, "Huh? What? How in the heck will that transfer to the field?". And then those charts were so creatively arranged and performed that they surprised most fans. I can understand a 50th anniversary show possibly doing some re-treatments of charts from the corps' vault. But good grief, in 2016 we are already going to get more renditions of Pines of Rome, Jesus Christ Superstar, The Chairman Dances (performed by two corps), Medea, Romeo and Juliet, Death Hunt, Young Person's Guide, Adagio for Strings, The Firebird Suite, Walking with Heroes, Uninvited, and the full list is not even out yet. That is what I am referring to when I say there are millions of other charts out there which can be chosen as opposed to redoing, reworking, recycling, charts that have already been performed and performed well.

hey but they cost little.

so as a deisgner...do you jack up the budget for the corps and create headaches for the circuit, or do you go with what you know you can use?

We did get some "new" information, when perc2100 posted that presentation paper from the BOA lawyer earlier in this thread. Consider this excerpt regarding permission to arrange:

"Almost to the very last composer (or composer agent), that permission says that the music (the new arrangement) cannot be duplicated or recorded in any form by the user, without further permission from the composer / original copyright owner."

The implications? If this was music in its original copyrighted form, the user could obtain "compulsory" mechanical license for audio easily and at reasonable rates; synchronization license for video somewhat easily and at widely varying, but known rates; and new media license for streaming (either live or on demand) easily and at reasonable rates. But since we use arrangements instead of the original music, this legal opinion suggests that the user must specifically ask each copyright holder for permission to record and distribute each form of audio, video or stream.

If this legal opinion is correct, all bets are off. Mechanical license is no longer a given, nor are the statutory rates that apply to it. Synch licensing could get even more convoluted. New media licensing would be useless except in cases where no "recording" is involved.

How does this explain the course of events? I can see one thing right away. That paper was presented December 18, 2014, at 4:00 PM. DCI took a bunch of Fan Network streams offline on December 19, 2014. I can guess that the takedown requests came some time in that 24 hour period.

As for the rest, help me make sense of it.

More feedback from DCI was heard about reviewing copyright compliance. More services were suspended, like the remainder of on demand streams, then all physical media came off the DCI store shelf. A refreshed Fan Network was repeatedly promised, but is no longer talked about. Somehow, "live" streams took place in 2015, but clearly the DVR feature was limited to the timeframe of the event and streams were no longer available on demand. APDs and VPDs were promised for 2015, but never materialized. 2015 physical media took a lot longer to deliver, and video was cut back to only the top 12. DCA resembled the DCI situation, but with several key differences such as failure to deliver any 2015 recordings, and no media from prior years returning to market.

What explains all that? How can DCI put Legacy DVDs back on the market, but not sell video of 2015 corps placing 13th or lower who are undoubtedly more copyright compliant? Why do we have physical media for 2015, but not downloads? Why do we have 2015 products for DCI, but not DCA? Is the "live" streaming we had in 2015 even legal?

DCA has 1/10000th the budget to work with that DCI does. DCA does not have paid full time staffor an office. its business model, which they think works for them, hurts them in these situations.

also...look at the archives....nothing under 13th place existed on the old fan network. why? cost even before everything blew up

Edited by Jeff Ream

Frank Zappa eventually owned all his master tapes and there is an effort to preserve the vault. These record company P**cks only come to skim the cream.