Drum Corps Returns to Boston College

Help spread the word, The Boston Crusaders are bringing Drum Corps back to Alumni Stadium at Boston College - formally the host of almost every CYO Nationals! The stadium is the perfect venue to sit back and be blown away by some of the best in the activity. The evening will include the first ever all Drum Corps Tailgate in Conte Forum starting at 3:30. This is the event to get together with all of your friends in the activity! Tickets will be handled locally and be available soon, sign up for the pre sale: http://goo.gl/forms/5ZYm7iGnHn

13043765_1077653728945236_88460176064501
  • Like 1

DCI had it listed as Foxboro but when I opened my e-mails this morning and saw it would be at BC. I've thought for a while that Alumni Stadium would be a great venue and for nostalgic reasons, I had hoped CYO Nationals tribute would return to BC. It's a great stadium. Parking could be an issue. I go to events at BC pretty frequently both when classes are in session and during the summer and parking, along with Brighton-Brookline-Chestnut Hill traffic can be tricky. My guess would be the premium parking would be in the garages and spaces near the stadium and Conte Forum, the remainder would either be at the Brighton property diagonally across the street (the property BC purchased from the Archdiocese), and depending on crowds, the Newton campus which would involve shuttle busses. For entering the event, the garages are the best bet, but for leaving, the Brightin property, even though it involves walking, can be faster. Of course there is one option for this show that makes it convenient: BC is easily accessible by the "T" (for those not from Massachusetts, the "T" is public transportation).

My guess would be the premium parking would be in the garages and spaces near the stadium and Conte Forum, the remainder would either be at the Brighton property diagonally across the street (the property BC purchased from the Archdiocese), and depending on crowds, the Newton campus which would involve shuttle busses. For entering the event, the garages are the best bet, but for leaving, the Brightin property, even though it involves walking, can be faster. Of course there is one option for this show that makes it convenient: BC is easily accessible by the "T" .

In my view, they'll be plenty of on campus parking spaces available for this show. I can just about guarantee that nobody will have to park on the adjacent Brighton property, nor take any shuttle busses from the satellite lots ( which I can just about guarantee, will not be available for this anyway ). I'm pretty familiar with BC ( former long time season ticket holder there) and know what the expected attendance should be for this DCI show as well as how many parking spaces are available on campus to accommodate such attendance. As such, on campus parking should not be a problem at all for this show, imo. Shea Field ( on campus ) alone would be able to handle any anticipated overflow.

Edited by BRASSO

In my view, they'll be plenty of on campus parking spaces available for this show. I can just about guarantee that nobody will have to park on the adjacent Brighton property, nor take any shuttle busses from the satellite lots ( which I can just about guarantee, will not be available for this anyway ). I'm pretty familiar with BC ( former long time season ticket holder there) and know what the expected attendance should be for this DCI show as well as how many parking spaces are available on campus to accommodate such attendance. As such, on campus parking should not be a problem at all for this show, imo. Shea Field ( on campus ) alone would be able to handle any anticipated overflow.

You are probably right. As I'm thinking about this, 90% of the times I am at BC, classes are in session and something is going on at Conte Forum, so that would not be a factor unless BC is a construction zone. Regardless, it will be a great venue for the show.

i have great memories of drum corps contests, particularly CYO Nationals and Mission Drums, at BC Stadium with warm-ups in the old McHugh Forum with its checkered floor for the summer. A strong remembrance is 1974 when in the lot I was asked by one of Madison Scouts' instructors (who had taught me several seasons previously) whether I could fill a hole for them going into championships at Ithaca. I had to say no as I was already overage. [in 1975, the overage question about other corps blew up in a heap.]

Edited by xandandl

I remember one of my first mid-week shows I was a spectator at was at BC. Anaheim Kingsmen were in the show. Then I got to march in a couple of CYO Nationals. Unbelievable! One of my personal best shows I ever had. However, my first marching experience at BC was in Drumfest in McHugh Forum (now Conte Forum). That was way cool.

1965... CYO Nationals, Boston College.

One onlooking staff member from a competing Corps in the show, upon watching the performance of the Chicago Royal Airs for the very first time, says into the ear of the other staff member in his Corps in a whisper... ....." holy ####, we can't perform like THAT ! "

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1965... CYO Nationals, Boston College.

One onlooking staff member from a competing Corps in the show, upon watching the performance of the Chicago Royal Airs for the very first time, says into the ear of the other staff member in his Corps in a whisper... ....." holy ####, we can't perform like THAT ! "

If only I had waited a little longer before giving the "ready front" (the crowd was going nuts after our announcement) we would not have had a crossfire during the beginning of the fanfare. We may have been closer to the Royal Airs, but they were a that year. http://marchingreps.com/scores.cfm?view=scoreshow&showid=1965102

66 was a different result. http://marchingreps.com/scores.cfm?view=scoreshow&showid=1966129

Let's hope they draw a large crowd this year. Great venue. Maybe Galen can post his thoughts on this stadium.

Edited by Ghost

If only I had waited a little longer before giving the "ready front" (the crowd was going nuts after our announcement) we would not have had a crossfire during the beginning of the fanfare. We may have been closer to the Royal Airs, but they were a that year.

I didn't know that you were the Boston Crusaders Drum Major for the CYO Nationals in '65 Ghost. I thought Denon ( and Shellmer) decided to go with " Stokey" as DM.