DCI Minnesota--Change of Plans

I'm assuming the contract will stipulate what happens should either side back out, so that legal action isn't necessary. That's one purpose of the contract in the first place. So, again, I'm assuming Minnesota exercised the "back out" provision of the contract. Whether that includes any payment to DCI is unknown (by me anyway).

If there was no contract in place, oh well, sucks to be you, DCI. Kinda late in the game to not have something this basic taken care of. Hence the posts questioning the competence of the front office I suppose.

Given the relative needs and bargaining power, I wonder if any such provisions would have put DCI in a much better place than they are now. They would still have to find a new venue.

Well, maybe they've improved, but for the record, a couple of years back, at least 7 Corps Directors were on verifiable, documentable record as having disagreed with this asssessment of yours. That said, you are entitled to your personal opinion, personal assessment on them that might be at stark odds with what these 7 World Class Division Corps Directors at the time were collectively saying about the overall efficiency of the personnel working at the DCI HQ. Then again, perhaps they have improved since then too... thats possible. Who knows.

Exactly right.

Of course, that's all easier said than done, and not knowing the explicit circumstances who knows what things are like behind-the-scenes...

This is DCP. You can't just burst in here all reasonable and rational and fair and understanding.

As someone who has spent my career in events, you need two things to secure an event venue.

A signature on a letter of agreement, and a deposit. The article i read stated they didn't have an actual contract. Only a verbal agreement.

Without either of these, there is never a guarantee that you actually will have the space when you requested it.

If there was a verbal agreement, fine, if there was an email... yay. But honestly, if you've been burned before without a contract, why on earth would you attempt to schedule an event without getting a signature and dropping off a deposit in person?

I just don't understand how you can leave yourself, your event, and the people you represent open to that risk when it has happened before.

Exactly right. This kind of poor management & administration gets people fired & rightly so. I've said it for years...DCI is a bush league organization.

Given the relative needs and bargaining power, I wonder if any such provisions would have put DCI in a much better place than they are now. They would still have to find a new venue.

Its pretty common in rental contracts to have the responsibilities of each party, a timeline, and cancellation circumstances laid out pretty plainly. (sometimes even down to who has to take out the trash)

Its a way of keeping everyone on task.

Again, I read that there wasn't a contract for this instance, if that was true, at its happened before, why wouldn't you show up with at the least a letter of agreement and a deposit in hand?

i remember there being a stadium in Mankato... how far is that from here?

Minnesota doesn't deserve a major show like this. 2 years out of three, giving DCI the boot. DCI doesn't need that. There are plenty of other venues. Whitewater is another one.

The U of M athletic department is a sorry mess right now, but Minnesota is turning into a growing hub for the activity in all forms -- scholastic marching band, college marching band, indoor drumline/guard, and especially drum corps. Saying it doesn't "deserve" a major show is pretty short-sighted.

• Like 1

The U of M athletic department is a sorry mess right now, but Minnesota is turning into a growing hub for the activity in all forms -- scholastic marching band, college marching band, indoor drumline/guard, and especially drum corps. Saying it doesn't "deserve" a major show is pretty short-sighted.

Maybe HockeyDad over generalized with referencing the entire State; but over the past three years it sure sounds like U of M really gets behind the marching arts, 'especially' drum corps; as in it gets behind them 'to boot them out'.

No. They can move it down the street to US Bank Stadium.

I wouldn't mind seeing it move to the new NFL stadium.

A new UofM athletic director isn't going to change the culture of incompetence/unaccountably in the department (the board of regents haven't helped things, either). Not having to deal of the UofM's BS would be a huge plus.

That being said: I think the novelty would wear out fast for everyone involved (staff, members, fans), for these reasons:

1) Parking would be more expensive and limited for fans.

2) Fewer warm-up spots for corps.

3) That section of downtown is kind of a crappy area. Lots of walking along some high-traffic areas to find a decent bar/restaurant. Campus/Dinkytown has more options and is a better/more open environment for a major drum corps show.

I know a nearby park is in the works, as well as some other redevelopment in lieu of the Super Bowl coming, so maybe it might get better.

4) Already been mentioned: indoor stadium. Even if the giant side doors are open, the acoustics will probably still be terrible.

IDK ... I just want there to be a show. The audience is there.

• Like 1