DCI Minnesota--Change of Plans

But his salary is peanuts in the world of NCAA football coaches.

Especially in the B1G. ichigan's Harbaugh makes around $5.5 million a year, Urban makes a little bit more than that at tOSU. $4.5 over three years isn't that big a deal in that conference (but probably about right for the Minnesota coach)

And for those who earlier said the University cares little for the marching arts......the U of M marching band has its own 20,000-square-foot practice facility, along with complete storage inside TCF Bank Stadium. The music department had a major say in what was to be included at the stadium.

so the same athletic fund that went to the stadium and goes to their scholarships went to give them a field to keep them off of another field?

yay.

Meh; The Ohio State University re-upped Urban Meyer's contract and he made $5.8 million in 2015 alone :tounge2:

Oh, of course, but in their terms they would be bending to the wishes of their coach over the desires of a DCI show coming to town.

And for those who earlier said the University cares little for the marching arts......the U of M marching band has its own 20,000-square-foot practice facility, along with complete storage inside TCF Bank Stadium. The music department had a major say in what was to be included at the stadium.

All that shows is that the university cares for their own students and cares for their own academic departments. It does not show how the university cares one iota about a non-university affiliated organization called DCI that promotes performances for other non-university affiliated organizations called Drum Corps, in which there is a competition that does not even allow the the university team aka band to compete on their own university field (as in the manner of NCAA football).

Slightly off-topic, but relevant: can anyone tell me why there hasn't been a DCI show at Camp Randall in years? The last show was a DCI Madison regional in 2008.

I keep hearing how people would love to see DCI go back there, but has a local group reached out to UW? Is the climate within UW's athletic department less favorable to hosting a show compared to year's past?

Don't get me wrong: I want some sort of DCI show back in Madison, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a reason DCI hasn't gone back there.

All that shows is that the university cares for their own students and cares for their own academic departments. It does not show how the university cares one iota about a non-university affiliated organization called DCI that promotes performances for other non-university affiliated organizations called Drum Corps

Well, they cared enough to allow this "non-university affiliated organization called DCI" to hold contests there in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2015.

Well, they are paying their knucklehead coach a boatload of cash, so my guess is he gets pretty much whatever he wants...

From last November...

"The University of Minnesota announced Wednesday that Claeys, a longtime behind-the-scenes assistant, had signed a three-year, $4.5 million contract as head football coach."

http://www.startribune.com/claeys-named-head-coach-of-gophers-football/345750372/

And this is why I'm not buying this story. The timing doesn't make sense. The DCI request was submitted, and probably approved verbally/informally, probably late last summer or early fall. Clayes wasn't even named head coach until November. But if you look at his contract (PDF found easily online), it says "4.3 Camp Facility Usage. The University will provide Coach the opportunity to utilize Department facilities for twelve (12) days each year for him to operate football camps, in accordance with University and Departmental policies and procedures (upon the best teams and conditions offered to any other coach or entity)." So my guess is since it's in his contract, and coach wanted a camp on that day, the University had to bump DCI and give it to him on that day.

Well, they cared enough to allow this "non-university affiliated organization called DCI" to hold contests there in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2015.

Here is the point I was making: The university spending money on its own music department does not show that the university cares about the ‘marching arts activity’ as a whole; it only indicates that the university cares for its own program. While it is true that the university has allowed DCI to utilize the stadium in the past, and that is an indication there is at least some interest given to the outside realm of ‘marching arts,’ the university has also booted DCI twice in favor of its own university based activities; most recently for its own football coach and his football camp. And when a revenue stream like DCI is axed in that manner, especially in the first case where it was booted by a free event for the university student body, it shows that there is not really that much university interest in the overall realm of ‘marching arts’.