Favorite Opening Moments of Drum Corps

For us old farts....

1990 Star of Indiana

1979-1981 27th Lancers (any of the three)

1973 Troopers

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 2

2010 Regiment for me.

From the opening passage played out of sight in the tunnel to the 1st impact.

Oh, and that pit...

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB
  • Like 3

My all-time favorite opening is the 27th Lancers "Crown Imperial"...here is 1975...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80h5F4q_HV4

Also love the 2012 Blue Knights opening to "Avian" with the hornline flocking like birds all over the field to the music of the pit.

Lots of great openings throughout my time. 1969 St Lucy's opening "El Conquistador", with Manny's soprano opening bugle call followed by this huge hit by the whole corps. Cadets 1997...a great opening. 1976 Bridgemen's "William Tell" in the banana unis signaled a radical shift in drum corps...plus it was an amazing tune.2002 Blue Devil's "Ragtime", as much because it is one of my all time favorite Broadway musicals as anything else, I guess.

I was wondering if anyone was going to say 1975 Lancers. That goosestepping in Crown Imperial was crazy! I am just going to throw out there 1975 Oakland Crusaders' Swan Lake and 1976 Seneca Optimists' Mahler' 7th Symphany (5th movement: Rondo). Both were amazing!

What the 27th Lancers Reunion Corps did in '94 with it wasn't too shabby either, MikeD. Finals crowd seemed to really get into it. I was in the Reunion Corps, and Man it was a thrill playing this, and the rest of the routine.

For us old farts....

1990 Star of Indiana

1979-1981 27th Lancers (any of the three)

1973 Troopers

God bless you, HornTeacher! 1979 Lancers' opener announced to the world that George Zingalli was in the house! Edited by Jurassic Lancer

What the 27th Lancers Reunion Corps did in '94 with it wasn't too shabby either, MikeD. Finals crowd seemed to really get into it. I was in the Reunion Corps, and Man it was a thrill playing this, and the rest of the routine.

I was there in the stands for "Once More in '94." I remember telling Bill Cook that Devils won the show, but Lancers won the night.

Sounds like an F above double C (on a G bugle, so a D above double C on a Bb trumpet).. the 7th staff line above the normal 5. Wonder if they wrote is as-is (all those lines), a double F with an 8va, or a top-line F with a 15ma notation...

that's one high note..

Finale+2008a+-+%5BTrumpet,+F+Above+Doubl

More ladders than a five-alarm fire...

When a trumpet part possesses the look of a flute etude on steroids (range-wise), it ventures into the simple realm of insanity. Or in my case, profound jealousy.

Edited by HornTeacher

God bless you, HornTeacher! 1979 Lancers' opener announced to the world that George Zingalli was in the house!

God bless ME??? Hell, no...God bless the 27th.