YouTube, copyright and DCI

But since this no longer has any relevance to Drum Corps, and since neither of us are likely to convince the other, I see no point in belaboring it further.

I'd say you blinked first Eleran.

300 years from now people in the 24th Century could likely look back on the late 20th Century and believe that the jazz music of the era was considered to be horrible and pathetic by even those who created it because the musicians of that time period all claimed to one another, ‘Man, those were some bad sounds!” They would form that opinion unless, of course, the people in the 24th Century endeavored to do a thorough and complete research into finding out exactly what those musicians actually meant when they said those words.

It might be much simpler in the 24th century.. who knows. The winners of Civilization then might just burn every semblance of 21st century jazz, and obliterate it totally from public usage as contrary to the laws of Allah, or the Universal Laws of the United World ( or some such). I would not be saying what " likely" will be happening in the 24th century with ANY form of 21st century genre of music. You tell me who the winners, and ruling world elites will be in the world in the 24th century, then I might take a stab of a guess on what they will think of jazz, or any other form of music for that matter.

It might be much simpler in the 24th century.. who knows. The winners of Civilization then might just burn every semblance of 21st century jazz, and obliterate it totally from public usage as contrary to the laws of Allah, or the Universal Laws of the United World ( or some such). I would not be saying what " likely" will be happening in the 24th century with ANY form of 21st century genre of music. You tell me who the winners, and ruling world elites will be in the world in the 24th century, then I might take a stab of a guess on what they will think of jazz, or any other form of music for that matter.

Ahhh you missed the point: I matters not what they think of jazz in the distant future; what matters is that they accurately view the meaning of the words spoken by the jazz musicians in the distant past, "Man, those were some bad sounds!", instead of turning the meaning of those words into what they want them to mean in the future.

Edited by Stu

My eyes weren't blinking ... they were rolling.

My eyes did not roll or blink; my eyes went and re-read two passages written over 170 years apart (and yes, this has everything to do with the legal aspects of the subject in this thread):

“On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates; and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, let us conform to the probable one in which it was passed." – Thomas Jefferson, 1823

“I consult the writings of men who happened to be delegates to the Constitutional Convention; Hamilton’s and Madison’s writings in The Federalist, for example. I do so not because they were Framers and therefore their intent is authoritative, but rather because their writings display how the text of the Constitution was originally understood. I give equal weight to Jay’s and Jefferson’s writings even though they were not Framers. But the great divide with Constitutional interpretation today is not between Framer’s intent and Objective meaning, but rather between Current meaning and Original meaning. The ascendant school of Constitutional interpretation claims the existence of a Living Constitution; a body of law that changes meaning from age to age by Judges who determine those changes using the current meaning of the words.” – Antonin Scalia, 1997

Edited by Stu

Is it too late for the Bridgemen Alumni corps to incorporate jokes about Tresona, Youtube, and Constitutional interpretation into the their 2016 show?

Anyone seen anything good on YouTube lately?

As a movie buff, I'm fond of two regular series that have fun nitpicking films, meaning mostly recent blockbusters: Honest Trailers by Screen Junkies and especially the Cinema Sins Everything Wrong With . . . videos. The motto of the latter series is "No movie is without sin", and they get a lot of mileage out of picking apart even movies they love: continuity errors, nonsensical plots, tired tropes, and sometimes just lovable quirks. As they play clips from the film and comment, every "sin" is tallied on a counter. Occasionally they have guest commentators, like Neil deGrasse Tyson, who joined them for The Martian, which was pretty funny because he liked the movie so much they kept having to take away sins. Here's the video for The Matrix, which is actually one of their favorite films:

The cinema channel I enjoy most, though, and only found a couple months ago, is Every Frame a Painting, which is only updated occasionally. The videos are created by a professional film editor, and they are positively brimming with wisdom about how movies work. One of my favorite entries in that series concerns the work of Michael Bay:

Gotta love that whip-smart comparison to the Coen brothers at the end!

"Bayhem" might describe the way some of the more contentious conversations develop at DCP. So if, like Stu, you're looking for a video that encourages peace and understanding, how about this one from 2008?

I probably look that one up a couple times a year; it always makes me smile.

Catchy tune, too. Could it be adapted for drum corps?

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

Is it too late for the Bridgemen Alumni corps to incorporate jokes about Tresona, Youtube, and Constitutional interpretation into the their 2016 show?

And they have great music to back up the visual gags with My Favorite Things!!!!