Who are today's "stars"?

In years past we as MM's knew who the stars of other competing corps were; Jeff Kivietz of Muchachoes, Jim Brady of Bridgemen, Jerry Noonan of Northstar, Barbara Maroney of Garfield, Rob Carson of Santa Clara, etc., etc. (please excuse any spelling errors or omissions of other MM's).

Who are the "stars" of today? There seems to be more emphasis on instructional stars and that'sOK as they are the new generation of stars. So who are the new MM stars and who are the currentinstructional/designer stars? Who is at the top of their game? Can we list the top 5 each; program or show designers, drill writers, brass writers, percussion writers, guard designers/writers in the activity today? This could help introduce many DCPers to new players in DC.

In years past we as MM's knew who the stars of other competing corps were; Jeff Kivietz of Muchachoes, Jim Brady of Bridgemen, Jerry Noonan of Northstar, Barbara Maroney of Garfield, Rob Carson of Santa Clara, etc., etc. (please excuse any spelling errors or omissions of other MM's).

Who are the "stars" of today? There seems to be more emphasis on instructional stars and that'sOK as they are the new generation of stars. So who are the new MM stars and who are the currentinstructional/designer stars? Who is at the top of their game? Can we list the top 5 each; program or show designers, drill writers, brass writers, percussion writers, guard designers/writers in the activity today? This could help introduce many DCPers to new players in DC.

Then there are those who THINK they are stars..lol..Couldn't help myself

I think in my experience there are for sure many who in the past would have been considered stars. Today I think there is less of the individual and more about the group ( at least in my experience ) Now this doesnt mean there arent those of star quality. As far as staff , well as I said many who think they are stars..lol Ive said for decades , it takes alot more in this activity than just marching somewhere to be a staff star so to speak. Also a star in one arena does not always translate to drum corps either. It's rare and takes a special person to learn as well as perfect those skills and understand the differences.

Stars of the past learned to do it all because there wasn't the luxury of an army of staff . Today staff members are more specialized in a certain area with back up of others to do their thing. I think this is also a reason why some very talented staff have been around for decades and STILL hold their own and continued success.

I've probably made some statements for some to run on a tangent and within a few posts your original question will be lost..lol...oh well....sorry ! let's see if it can stay on topic..lol

Edited by GUARDLING

As far as MMs, BD snare Brandon Olander immediately comes to mind.

Not too many drum corps performers get YouTube famous at 12, make BD's snareline at 16 (and this is after marching with the Academy's line), get featured on the CBS evening news and other national outlets like Modern Drummer, and win the snare I&E at 17 (he had two stick drops and still crushed his solo).

http://www.moderndrummer.com/site/2015/11/on-the-beat-with-brandon-olander-of-the-blue-devils-drum-and-bugle-corps-worth-the-hard-work/

Edit - here's a good video of his solo shot in 60 frames per second.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar
  • Like 1

This is a good thread topic, imo.

This would be a starting list of a few of the superstars in DCI today that are adults ( I really can't think of any the names of the current MM stars at the moment ). The list is by no means all inclusive, and there is no doubt that I have forgotten the names ( or mispelled some names ) of some adult stars that others here can add to the list. But here are a few that immediately come to mind in the adult realm, and in no particular order, nor ranking :

George Hopkins ( Cadets )

Wayne Downey ( Blue Devils )

Debbie Torchia ( Judge )

Dean Acheson ( DCI Exec. Dir )

Denise Bonfiglio ( SCV )

Al Chez ( Crossmen )

Jay Kennedy ( Judge )

Dan Farrell ( Phantom Regiment )

Michael Klesch ( Crown )

Scott Johnson ( Blue Devils )

George Oliviero ( Judge )

Ryan George ( BAC)

Will Pitts ( Phantom Regiment )

Albert Lo ( Judge )

Jim Coats ( Crown )

Howard Weinstein ( Blue Stars )

Dan Potter ( DCI )

Jim Coats ( Crown )

Frank Miller ( Judge )

Donnie VanDoren ( Troopers )

Michael Woodell ( BAC )

Jeff Prosperie ( Judge/ Hellcats )

Scott Chandler ( Blue Devils )

David Glascow ( Bluecoats )

Gino Cipriani ( Cadets )

Lee Carlson ( Judge )

Richard Saucedo ( Blue Stars, Cavs

Alan Kristensen ( Judge )

Paul Rennick ( SCV )

Colin McNutt ( Cadets )

Tony DeCarlo ( Judge )

Michael Martin ( Cavaliers )

J.J. Pipitone ( Judge )

Jon Vanderkoff ( Bluecoats )

Scott Boerma ( Madison Scouts )

Jim Mason ( DCI consultant )

Scott Adamo ( Judge )

David Ortiz ( Red Sox )

Kevin Ford ( Blue Stars )

Daryl Pemberton ( Cadets )

Jay Murphy ( BAC )

Marie Czapinski ( Judge )

Richard Hinshaw ( Cavaliers )

Bret Kuhn ( Phantom Regiment )

John Phillips ( Judge )

MIchael Shapiro ( Blue Stars )

Jay Boocock ( Cadets )

William Chumley ( Judge )

Scott Adamo ( Judge )

As mentioned, this is just a partial list of the adult stars in DCI at the moment. Feel free to add others names of adults to this list... and even names of current stars in the MM ranks too.

• Like 1

This is a good thread topic, imo.

This would be a starting list of a few of the superstars in DCI today that are adults ( I really can't think of any the names of the current MM stars at the moment ). The list is by no means all inclusive, and there is no doubt that I have forgotten the names ( or mispelled some names ) of some adult stars that others here can add to the list. But here are a few that immediately come to mind in the adult realm, and in no particular order, nor ranking :

George Hopkins ( Cadets )

Wayne Downey ( Blue Devils )

Debbie Torchia ( Judge )

Dean Acheson ( DCI Exec. Dir )

Denise Bonfiglio ( SCV )

Al Chez ( Crossmen )

Jay Kennedy ( Judge )

Dan Farrell ( Phantom Regiment )

Michael Klesch ( Crown )

Scott Johnson ( Blue Devils )

George Oliviero ( Judge )

Ryan George ( BAC)

Will Pitts ( Phantom Regiment )

Albert Lo ( Judge )

Jim Coats ( Crown )

Howard Weinstein ( Blue Stars )

Dan Potter ( DCI )

Jim Coats ( Crown )

Frank Miller ( Judge )

Donnie VanDoren ( Troopers )

Michael Woodell ( BAC )

Jeff Prosperie ( Judge/ Hellcats )

Scott Chandler ( Blue Devils )

David Glascow ( Bluecoats )

Gino Cipriani ( Cadets )

Lee Carlson ( Judge )

Richard Saucedo ( Blue Stars, Cavs

Alan Kristensen ( Judge )

Paul Rennick ( SCV )

Colin McNutt ( Cadets )

Tony DeCarlo ( Judge )

Michael Martin ( Cavaliers )

J.J. Pipitone ( Judge )

Jon Vanderkoff ( Bluecoats )

Scott Boerma ( Madison Scouts )

Jim Mason ( DCI consultant )

Scott Adamo ( Judge )

David Ortiz ( Red Sox )

Kevin Ford ( Blue Stars )

Daryl Pemberton ( Cadets )

Jay Murphy ( BAC )

Marie Czapinski ( Judge )

Richard Hinshaw ( Cavaliers )

Bret Kuhn ( Phantom Regiment )

John Phillips ( Judge )

MIchael Shapiro ( Blue Stars )

Jay Boocock ( Cadets )

William Chumley ( Judge )

Scott Adamo ( Judge )

As mentioned, this is just a partial list of the adult stars in DCI at the moment. Feel free to add others names of adults to this list... and even names of current stars in the MM ranks too.

Is that all? LOL Just off the top of your head no doubt. That is a good list. I agree with the David Ortiz inclusion.But this is a retirement year for him. I see a number of judges on this list too, some who are regarded as stars and somewhat famous while others may be considered infamous to some folks.
  • Like 1